Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fiona18psych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm applying to clinical and counseling psychology programs, and these programs require applicants to list 2-3 POIs in their applications. However, I have concerns about how to write my personal statement and/or statement of purpose to match with multiple faculties' research.

More specifically, I'm interested in cultural adaptation and implementation of mental health treatments. For example, at University XXX, 1 faculty has perfect match with my interests, 1 faculty does work on mental disorders, and 1 faculty does work on acculturation. In this case, should I state my interests broadly (i.e., how environment affects mental health)? Or should I write about my specific interest and mention briefly how it matches with every POI?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Write a general statement that describes your interests broadly (e.g., how environment and cultural factors impacts MH), then explain how the work of each of those POI fit well with your overall interests and connects with something for which you have a passion. Remember, the goal is to demonstrate how their work fits with you not them with you (directional implications matters- you may need to adapt your interests or be open. They do not have to nearly as much).

Reactions: 1 user
Write a general statement that describes your interests broadly (e.g., how environment and cultural factors impacts MH), then explain how the work of each of those POI fit well with your overall interests and connects with something for which you have a passion. Remember, the goal is to demonstrate how their work fits with you not them with you (directional implications matters- you may need to adapt your interests or be open. They do not have to nearly as much).
That makes sense! Thank you!