Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Histrionic

Endowed member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year medical student interested in addiction psychiatry. A few months ago, I completed my core psychiatry rotation at a psychiatric hospital in Southern California. I thoroughly enjoyed working with this particular population, especially the dual diagnosis patients and those that are simply chronic alcoholics and drug addicts. Part of the reason that I enjoy working with alcoholics and drug addicts is that I too am a recovering alcoholic. I have been sober now for 12 years with the help of a 12-step program. I do not feel that being an alcoholic or drug addict offers any particular expertise in the treatment of addiction, nor do I believe that one has to be an addict to have empathy for this particular population. I simply enjoy working with addicts and alcoholics, and I know that I can make a very enjoyable career out of helping this population. My question is, should I mention in my personal statement that I am a recovering alcoholic and should I discuss some of the hurdles that I have had to overcome in order to get to where I am at today? Or, do you feel that there may be some residency directors that may look at this as a negative aspect? Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should find some other way to get your point across. While I do admire you and think you have a great strength, you just do not know what program directors and staff will think of that. We still have some very closed mind, conservative people in the medical friend, psych field included.

I would not chance it if I were you.

Good Luck

I'll second that. I was a psychology major as an undergrad and seriously considered a Ph.D. in psych for a few years. My adviser said that you really, really don't want to tell an admissions committee that you're going into psych because you're looney. For one thing, that's more information than anybody wants from a complete stranger. For another thing, working with disturbed people can be very stressful, and the people reading your app may think that the stress will exacerbate your problems. If you tell them, they'll be biased against you from the start. That's ****ty and unfair but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to agree with the other posters. When I was applying to medical school, I sought advice on whether to talk about my seizure disorder, which was very important in developing my interest in medicine. More people (pre-med advisors, physicians, faculty advisors) said not to mention it. When they are sifting through far more applications than they have spots, all from applicants who meet the minimum requirements, people are just searching for any reason to toss out an application. Even in an uncompetitive field like psychiatry, I imagine that most residency programs get many, many more applicants than positions. I went to a conference this summer on mental illness and addiction; it had been called because the organizers felt that most people in either field view mental illness and addiction as entirely separate entities. I hope that most mental health professionals recognize addiction as a disease, not a moral flaw, but I fear that I may be overly optimistic. Even if they do see addiction as a disease, there is plenty of discrimination in the medical profession and I wouldn't want to take the risk of disclosure.

dont do it, man. dont even mention it EVER to anyone involved with residency selection. they'll just use it against you. its not right. its not fair. but thats what happens.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and currently an undergrad wanting to be a psychiatrist.

It seems like you guys are being somewhat cynical about the whole personal statement scenario. Are people really still that conservative in the medical profession, still attaching that much stigma to addiction and mental illness?!

When I apply to med school I want to mention how I suffered from clinical depression briefly in high school and had therapy and medicinal treatment with this great psychiatrist who was kind of an inspiration. Plus I'm the most empathetic person you'll ever meet partly due to the depression. I'm practically a therapist to all my friends anyway and long to restore the humanity to a family of doctors progressively becoming pill-pushers.

So would all this ultimately have adverse effects on my admission?

As a current intern, having just completed residency interviews a year ago, I strongly discourage you from mentioning ANY such "weakness" (addiction, disease, etc) when applying for any position in the medical field, be it medical school, internship, residency, fellowship, jobs, etc. Most docs are very closed minded people and if you mention you were an achoholic it will kill your application at most stages of your training. NOT AT ALL FAIR, but I believe true. Doctors have a flawed perception of themselves as somehow being closer to perfection than mere mortals and any "flaw" or former flaw you point out will be used against you.

Besides, you've been dry for 12 years...congrats and I think you can stop using this addiction to introduce yourself to people with.

Originally posted by redruckus
It seems like you guys are being somewhat cynical about the whole personal statement scenario. Are people really still that conservative in the medical profession, still attaching that much stigma to addiction and mental illness?!
As I mentioned above, I can't speak as much for the medical profession as I can for clinical psych Ph.D. programs. When I was considering applying to these programs, my advisers said "We [psychologists] like to study and treat crazy people. We don't want to work with them." Unfair? Yes. True? Afraid so. Working in a mental hospital in any capacity, or doing a residency, or studying for an advanced degree can be extremely stressful. Few adcoms will think it wise to subject someone with pre-existing mental conditions to that kind of stress.

There shouldn't be a stigma, but there is.

Thanks for the input everyone. Your thoughts only reinforce what I assumed to be the general consensus. Ligament made an interesting comment at the close of his/her post, however I question the motivation. Congratulating an alcoholic for not taking a drink is analagous to congratulating a cowboy for not riding a horse when he has an exacerbation of hemorrhoids. If I could control and enjoy my drinking, I would have a few beers tomorrow when I finish my call shift. Futhermore, I never introduce myself as an alcoholic except at 12-step meetings. I have never mentioned to my fellow classmates, patients or colleagues that I am an alcoholic. Only my close personal friends and family know that I am an alcoholic. I am not so naive that I think that most of the non-alcoholics understand alcoholism nor care that I am an alcoholic. Having 12 years of sober living doesn't mean much to anyone except me. You should not assume that all alcoholics that are in recovery choose to go around introducing themselves as alcoholics any more than diabetics go around telling the world that they have diabetes. Alcoholism is a disease. It has a DSM-IV code, ICD-9 code, signs and symptoms. I hope the next time you have a patient suffering from alcoholic dependency, that you approach them with the same understanding that you would show any other sick patient.

Originally posted by Histrionic
Thanks for the input everyone. Your thoughts only reinforce what I assumed to be the general consensus. Ligament made an interesting comment at the close of his/her post, however I question the motivation. Congratulating an alcoholic for not taking a drink is analagous to congratulating a cowboy for not riding a horse when he has an exacerbation of hemorrhoids. If I could control and enjoy my drinking, I would have a few beers tomorrow when I finish my call shift. Futhermore, I never introduce myself as an alcoholic except at 12-step meetings. I have never mentioned to my fellow classmates, patients or colleagues that I am an alcoholic. Only my close personal friends and family know that I am an alcoholic. I am not so naive that I think that most of the non-alcoholics understand alcoholism nor care that I am an alcoholic. Having 12 years of sober living doesn't mean much to anyone except me. You should not assume that all alcoholics that are in recovery choose to go around introducing themselves as alcoholics any more than diabetics go around telling the world that they have diabetes. Alcoholism is a disease. It has a DSM-IV code, ICD-9 code, signs and symptoms. I hope the next time you have a patient suffering from alcoholic dependency, that you approach them with the same understanding that you would show any other sick patient.

Dear Histrionic,

What motivation of mine are you questioning? My motivation was to help you out. I too had issues in my life while interviewing for residencies and realized program directors do not want to hear about *any* "problem" with you, regardless of what it is.

I meant no offense. My advice was meant to help. You mentioned you may talk about your alchoholism in your personal statement which *is* an introduction to your life. You say above you would not "go around introducing" yourself as an alchoholic so why would you do it on one of the most important introductions of your life, your residency personal statement?

I see it as a strength of your character for staying dry for 12 years now, that is why I congratulated you. I wish program directors would see this same strength, but I fear not.

Please do not question my bedside manner with my alchoholic patients. You have no basis to do so. You are not my patient.

Regards, Ligament.

Originally posted by Ligament
I strongly discourage you from mentioning ANY such "weakness" (addiction, disease, etc)

Ligament,
I am not questioning your bedside manner, but I am questioning your understanding of addiction and alcoholism. You view practicing alcoholics/addicts as weak, and as demonstrated by your statement that I have stayed sober for 12 years because of a strong character, leads me to believe that you think the solution to alcoholism or addiction is to be strong. Please do not take this discussion personally. You are not alone in your views. Most people, including well trained physician continue to believe that alcoholism/addicition is due to some type of character weakness. This view is far from the truth. The most successfull treatment for long term recovery from alcoholism or any other addiction continues to be 12-step programs. Sure, we can offer medication for detoxification, and we can send these patients to recovery programs, but what do we do to help the alcoholic stay sober for life? The basic tenet of 12-step programs is that will-power or personal power will not prevent a person from returning to their drug of choice. The 2nd step states,"we came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity". Staying clean and sober has nothing to do with mental control. If you have an interest in really helping patients that are addicted, please read the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", especially the sectioned titled, " The Doctor's Opinion". I believe that the best thing that we as future psychiatrists can do is to help the patient accept that they have a problem and to direct them into a 12-step program. I feel that in order to be effective, we should understand addiction , including the solution. I appreciate your input regarding the personal statement. I really had no intention of revealing that I am an alcoholic. I was simply interested the opinions of those who plan to enter into psychiatry. Thanks for the stimulating discussion.