Residency with LGBTQ+ clinic or mission statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in pursuing this type of medicine in a community setting. Am LGBTQ myself and have relevant experiences on my CV. Research experience is thin though. Anyone know of psych or other programs with this focus?

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF and BIDMC (fenway health) are two I know of

Members don't see this ad :)
There are few out there.
Start combing through every program website now.
Not all programs are that interested in niche clinics, people come, people go, etc. from the staff level. They are hard to keep them staffed and flowing with patients for the long haul. CCF for instance has/had a clinic for MS, but they had a large enough population to get referrals from neurology, for example.
It also might be difficult for programs to build up a niche clinic as not every LGBTQ person wants to go to specific clinics.
I get patients, but no where near enough to warrant special times, blocks, groups, etc.

From my residency days there was a co-resident who started up a niche HIV clinic which was higher in LGBTQ patients, but still struggled to get the volume to keep it robust.

Good luck.

I would get on Google and see of there are community clinics of interest in your target cities. Phone calls or email exchanges about the possibility of shadowing, rotating, ect. won't hurt. Who knows, maybe they know something about the training program in that city too

I'm the furthest thing from an academic, but if I was a PD and and a candidate had done that kind of leg work I'd be very interested.

I mean UCD has med student operated clinics with sexual minority focuses. That said, I'm not sure you absolutely need to seek it out. It's going to be a core component of any modern residency.

I mean UCD has med student operated clinics with sexual minority focuses. That said, I'm not sure you absolutely need to seek it out. It's going to be a core component of any modern residency.
It is a component but I wouldn't say it is core, or at least core enough that you can reliably expect to have solid experience with it. In residency, I didn't have any outpatients where their sexual minority status was more than incidental to treatment, nor ED patients or inpatients where their status materially changed management (other than e.g. continuing home hormonal treatments). I was going to co-lead a therapy group in the area, but it never recruited enough patients to get off the ground. So I would recommend that it if its a significant part of what OP wants to do as a psychiatrist, they do need to seek it out (or get lucky).

Something similar, but not exactly the same, has been discussed on this forum before:

Mt. Sinai has a Transgender Psychiatry Fellowship.

Another approach is to go to the WPATH guidelines and look at the author's academic affiliations and see about those places.