Personal statement questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys..... I'm currently applying to optometry schools. I have two question, if you please answer.

1. I'm writing a personal statement for optometry school and need to discuss what I want to do with an optometry degree, but I can't decide. Could somebody give me the pros and cons of each career option?
2. In the interview, they will ask me why I'm interested in optometry rather than optamology. The truth is, I don't want to do surgery, but what is a better way to phrase this?

Members don't see this ad.

The second question is eaisier, think of their scope of practice and the patients an optometrist and an ophthalmologist would see and any overlap. This will show them 1 you understand the difference and how each play a role in patient eyecare, and 2 why you see yourself as an optometrist.

The first question can lead from the second. I wouldn't want to work as an optometrist in an ophthomolgy practice based on the patients they would see, I would rather work in private practice in a more personal and long term setting. They don't expect you to know exactly what you want to specialize in or the exact practice size you want to work in, thats what you will lern in optometry school! They want to know any long term goals and where you see yourself serving in optometry and that you have a practical understanding of optometry today.

The second question is eaisier, think of their scope of practice and the patients an optometrist and an ophthalmologist would see and any overlap. This will show them 1 you understand the difference and how each play a role in patient eyecare, and 2 why you see yourself as an optometrist.

The first question can lead from the second. I wouldn't want to work as an optometrist in an ophthomolgy practice based on the patients they would see, I would rather work in private practice in a more personal and long term setting. They don't expect you to know exactly what you want to specialize in or the exact practice size you want to work in, thats what you will lern in optometry school! They want to know any long term goals and where you see yourself serving in optometry and that you have a practical understanding of optometry today.
Okay Thank you so much