Personal Statement Research Balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phildobaggins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to write my PS and am having a difficult time expressing my research desires in a way that wont reflect poorly on me for admissions. I enjoy research a lot and want to do a decent amount of it in med school and beyond, however, I do not want to get an MD/PhD.

Is it reasonable to state that I don't want to do so simply because I don't want to spend an additional 4 years in school or is there a more 'PC' way of expressing this?

I am applying to a lot of research heavy schools and talk a lot about research in my PS, so I will most likely have to address this topic either in an interview or in the PS directly, so I want to have a thoughtful and insightful response ready.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Here's my solution, you know beyond banging my head on my desk.

You want to be PC in your PS? Never mention it. Talk about how your experience in research makes you unique and has changed your out look on the way you want practice medicine. Technically, you don't even need a PhD to do research. Or talk about how you used your research to explore where science comes from. Put your own spin on it.

Just don't put negativity in your PS. There is only space for why you're going to make a kick butt doctor. Not why you decided to not do research.

Now if it comes up in the interviews, well try this.

I've grown to love working with tissues and doing surgery on mice, but I doesn't sit well with me that ultimately my job is wrapped up by killing them, folding them up in a glove, and dumping them in the freezer. I'd just feel better if my end goal was to keep someone alive.

Just kidding. I have no idea. I wouldn't offer the info and if it was asked, I'd be polite and vague.

Best of luck. You can always try the desire to become well rounded or need to satisfy curiosity while you still had the opportunity approach. It's ok if something with your research doesn't sit well with you or you don't see yourself doing it for the rest of your life. You can still like it.

I come from a research background (workwise-- i'm a "nontraditional" applicant), and went through a decision process between PhD and MD and decided on MD. I never told schools the reasons I decided against PhD (would have been in epi/public health area, i'm not a bench researcher so no dual degree thoughts, though there are a couple programs out there). I just told them that I imagined it likely that I would always be involved in a certain amount of research (didn't say how much...) and that I wanted clinical experiences to lead to research and compliment it. I also talked about advocacy, public health, etc... all of which fit with what AdComms saw on my app in terms of work experience and ECs. I'm starting next fall at a school that I think is on the research heavy list; at least they require it.

The previous poster's advice seems rock solid to me. Don't get too specific, stay positive.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Here's my solution, you know beyond banging my head on my desk.

You want to be PC in your PS? Never mention it. Talk about how your experience in research makes you unique and has changed your out look on the way you want practice medicine. Technically, you don't even need a PhD to do research. Or talk about how you used your research to explore where science comes from. Put your own spin on it.

Just don't put negativity in your PS. There is only space for why you're going to make a kick butt doctor. Not why you decided to not do research.

Now if it comes up in the interviews, well try this.

I've grown to love working with tissues and doing surgery on mice, but I doesn't sit well with me that ultimately my job is wrapped up by killing them, folding them up in a glove, and dumping them in the freezer. I'd just feel better if my end goal was to keep someone alive.

Just kidding. I have no idea. I wouldn't offer the info and if it was asked, I'd be polite and vague.

Best of luck. You can always try the desire to become well rounded or need to satisfy curiosity while you still had the opportunity approach. It's ok if something with your research doesn't sit well with you or you don't see yourself doing it for the rest of your life. You can still like it.