AMCAS Personal Statement vs MD/PHD Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The1Train

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for reading!

I am having a lot of trouble writing different essays for the primary application Personal Statement and MD/PhD essay. For me, I have one narrative: how I've bounced between meaningful clinical inspiration and taken those experiences into basic research on the same/similar disease. Through these several experiences, I was inspired by resilient patients who gave me meaningful insight about their experiences and illnesses and by physician-scientists who were research mentors or who I shadowed. These experiences helped me evolve and narrow exactly the disease and scientific sub-field I want to devote my life to.

My problem is whenever I sit down to outline or write one of the two essays I end up telling that same narrative. For the past five years it's been clear to me that I want to be a physician-scientist and this is the only career I can see myself. It's the only career where I can have meaningful experiences with inspiring humans, be able to give back to the fullest of my ability, have a creative career where I can investigate the science of interesting questions and hopefully contribute to the knowledge and well-being of humanity. So, for me there isn't a way to talk about why I want to and would make a good physician without talking about being a physician-scientist.

How do I write these two separate essays? Are there ways they should be different in tone or content? Can I tell the same narrative but use different experiences (each of my most meaningful experiences happened sequentially, inspired by the previous, exacerbating my struggle to separate them) or different stories from each experience. If anyone would like to share their essays with me that would be super helpful. Or just some guidance about the focus/themes/structure for each?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PM me.

Overall, I believe the PS should be focused on "why medicine?" What makes a physician unique from other health professions? What experiences have helped lead you to wanting to become a physician? I mentioned one brief sentence about my research experience and how it tied into why I want to become a doctor, but that was all. The PS should clearly state your reasoning for an MD degree.

For the MD/PhD essay, try to elaborate on why you think that you need both degrees for your chosen career path. Why not just one or the other? You can conduct research with just a MD, so why the PhD? What is the difference between the two training pathways and why do you feel that both are necessary for your goals?

I hope this helps. I had the same problem but try to think of specific patient experiences that led you to MD and which question led you to the PhD.
Hi all, thanks for reading!

I am having a lot of trouble writing different essays for the primary application Personal Statement and MD/PhD essay. For me, I have one narrative: how I've bounced between meaningful clinical inspiration and taken those experiences into basic research on the same/similar disease. Through these several experiences, I was inspired by resilient patients who gave me meaningful insight about their experiences and illnesses and by physician-scientists who were research mentors or who I shadowed. These experiences helped me evolve and narrow exactly the disease and scientific sub-field I want to devote my life to.

My problem is whenever I sit down to outline or write one of the two essays I end up telling that same narrative. For the past five years it's been clear to me that I want to be a physician-scientist and this is the only career I can see myself. It's the only career where I can have meaningful experiences with inspiring humans, be able to give back to the fullest of my ability, have a creative career where I can investigate the science of interesting questions and hopefully contribute to the knowledge and well-being of humanity. So, for me there isn't a way to talk about why I want to and would make a good physician without talking about being a physician-scientist.

How do I write these two separate essays? Are there ways they should be different in tone or content? Can I tell the same narrative but use different experiences (each of my most meaningful experiences happened sequentially, inspired by the previous, exacerbating my struggle to separate them) or different stories from each experience. If anyone would like to share their essays with me that would be super helpful. Or just some guidance about the focus/themes/structure for each?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user