This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pnwhmt

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Longtime lurking finally posting! Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

I started free writing for my PS and what came up as my underlying theme was that I never wanted to be a physician, never thought I could, etc due to academic underachievement and difficult home situation (which I didn't touch on in detail, don't feel it's necessary to the sorry). Is that too honest? Outline is essentially as follows:

- Never wanted to be physician, didn't think I could

- Academic underachievement in elementary and high school due to stress at home/no support, although I placed in honors classes and advanced math throughout

- One year of average/lazy college performance (3.5 GPA) followed by a period of self work, two years of therapy to deal with my issues, which taught me to love myself in turn push myself

- Started taking prereqs for nutrition program, got recommendation by prof to take a cadaver prosection class which reoriented me towards wanting to be a provider after

- Started scribing in the ED and saw doctors make incredibly quick and decisive decisions that saved lives, made me want to be MD as opposed to PA

- Still need to fit in some additional on why I'd make a good MD

* Just for the record my sGPA is a 4.0 (but I still have ochem and biochem) and my cGPA is a 3.9 with a very strong upward trend being consistent 4.0 following self-work/therapy so I'm hoping it's not off limits to mention previous academic underachievement