General Admissions & OTCAS Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee512

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know free personal statement editing services? Or would anyone mind reading a personal statement? I would like to get as many people to read as possible before submitting.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be happy to read your statement if you want another pair of eyes! I'm definitely struggling with mine... it's "done" but I feel really uncertain about it, especially the introduction. I was hoping to get people's advice!
I'm considering adding a rock climbing anecdote (my main hobby) into my introduction and explain how it reminds me of OT. Climbers work together with their partner to find the best route up a wall, that caters to the climber's strengths and weaknesses. Their belay partner offers "beta" from the ground, encouragement and suggestions for completing the route. I link it quickly to OT and then launch into my reasons for wanting to do OT. I want to stand out with a unique introduction, but I'm a little worried that an admissions committee might think it's a little too creative writing-esque. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about using a little anecdote in the introduction?

Does anyone know free personal statement editing services? Or would anyone mind reading a personal statement? I would like to get as many people to read as possible before submitting.

I would be happy to read your essay. I am currently a first year in an OT program so I wrote (and rewrote) many essays last year. Feel free to message me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be happy to read your statement if you want another pair of eyes! I'm definitely struggling with mine... it's "done" but I feel really uncertain about it, especially the introduction. I was hoping to get people's advice!
I'm considering adding a rock climbing anecdote (my main hobby) into my introduction and explain how it reminds me of OT. Climbers work together with their partner to find the best route up a wall, that caters to the climber's strengths and weaknesses. Their belay partner offers "beta" from the ground, encouragement and suggestions for completing the route. I link it quickly to OT and then launch into my reasons for wanting to do OT. I want to stand out with a unique introduction, but I'm a little worried that an admissions committee might think it's a little too creative writing-esque. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about using a little anecdote in the introduction?

I would be happy to read your personal statement as well. In my opinion, an interesting introduction is beneficial (especially if it relates to OT and does not take up too much space). It might depend on the school but many admissions people I have talked to have expressed that creativity in the personal statement is good (as long as you are still answering the prompt). Feel free to message me your essay!

I would be happy to read your personal statement as well. In my opinion, an interesting introduction is beneficial (especially if it relates to OT and does not take up too much space). It might depend on the school but many admissions people I have talked to have expressed that creativity in the personal statement is good (as long as you are still answering the prompt). Feel free to message me your essay!

Thank you so, so much! I will do that, I really appreciate your help!