personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randallB

fear the krab
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I must really love my amcas application...since I can't seem to part with it yet. My premed advisor suggested that I go into detail as to why I want to combine clinical medicine with basic science research on the personal statement. I gave a description as to how I came to be intrigued by the research aspect of the career of physician scientists, but felt that a more in-depth discussion of my goals was best left to the md/phd-specific secondaries. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was told the same thing as what your advisor has told you...use the personal statement to talk about why you want to combine research and medicine in addition to how you became interested in each. If you can include specific examples of what sparked this interest then this will only strengthen your claims. I just finished mine last week and I felt a little rushed with it too...it's so hard to fit everything in one page!

good luck!

haha, damn. it's tough because I had my essay refined and exactly at 5300 characters (not by trying...just dumb luck). I talked about specific research experiences and how I fell in love with it, but I guess I need to more clearly delineate my reasons for combining clinical med and research.