Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedRower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for some MD/PhD programs now, and I'm wondering...

should the personal statement be any different for an MD/PhD applicant than it would be for an MD-only applicant?

Will everyone who reads the PS also have the other two essays in hand? Or does the PS need to convince the medical school that you are a good candidate for them as well? Etc? I'm just very confused about whether I should write the PS as if I'm applying for MD-only, and then write the other essays to explain why I'm not doing straight MD.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

If you're applying to both MD-only and MD/PhD programs, I read somewhere on the AMCAS that the two MD/PhD Essays will only be sent to the schools for which you select MD/PhD.

If you're only applying to MD/PhD programs, I'd still write the personal statement mainly aimed towards medical school, but with a hint of the research side especially if you're only on this path. I think you'll have plenty of space to talk about why you want to do research, but you have a reason for wanting to be a doctor as well, or you'd be doing a PhD only. I think the PS is more for focusing on mainly "why medicine?"

Hope this helps! I'm no expert, though.