Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushi328

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to structure my PS with 3 separate examples. I was going to initially do a clinical experience, research, and then a leadership experience...but now I am thinking of doing two clinical experiences as a translator and athletic trainer and then a leadership experience with a summer camp I am involved in with children whose parents have cancer.

Is it important to talk about research in my PS? I feel the latter were more vivid experiences for me that I could talk about.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to structure my PS with 3 separate examples. I was going to initially do a clinical experience, research, and then a leadership experience...but now I am thinking of doing two clinical experiences as a translator and athletic trainer and then a leadership experience with a summer camp I am involved in with children whose parents have cancer.

Is it important to talk about research in my PS? I feel the latter were more vivid experiences for me that I could talk about.

Thanks!
if you talk about research does it answer the question why medicine? If not leave it out. Is research a vital part of why you want medicine and how you came to it? What examples dont matter as much as the content does. Which examples are more memorable and had a greater effect on you and your path to medicine. Personally for me i dont think research is all that important to talk about (though i did it in mine), but thats only a personal preference. If you do talk about research dont bore them with the scientific jargon and details of every stupid gel you ran. Maybe briefly (few sentances) talk about what you did and where, then get into why its important to you and medicine. Do you get the theme yet? :laugh:

Your PS is not for listing/explaining your accomplishments.

It should be used to explain who you are as a person and how that identity attracts you to and makes you a good match for medicine.