Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
I want to start on the essay and I emailed Optomcas to see if the essay topic will change, all they wrote back was they make changes to the application every cycle... is it still safe to bet that topic will still be somewhat similar. I'd hate to devote alot of time into writing something (because I hate writing! :oops:) and then having it be totally off from the topic..

I also want to start compiling everything to begin the new application for 2010-2011 period but they said I can't start yet! I think the system is so useless... just venting. :(

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Well, you could probably start on last years topic just to get your thoughts/accomplishments down on paper. If it's not the optomcas prompt, you can bet that one of the schools you apply to will ask a similar question. So it wouldn't be a total waste if you organized your thoughts in the form of an essay in preparation for other essays. If you hate writing, then you may as well start getting used to it now, because you're going to have a lot of essays on your plate once applications are released.

There's not much to compile in terms of the application aside from your essays. Just ask your college to send you a copy of your transcripts so that you have it ready when it's time to fill out the courses. You'll want an actual copy too (not the kind of thing online where you check your grades) because they want you to label each class exactly as it appears on your transcript and the titles are often abbreviated on the actual transcript. Might as well request your highschool transcripts too.

I guess you can also write down all your accomplishments, internships, extra curricular activities, work experience, volunteer work, etc. Then when the application comes out, you can just fill it in from your list.

I commend you for wanting to start early, but don't be frustrated! There's lots that you can do without entering it into optomcas. Ultimately, it takes like...3 hours max to fill out the entire optomcas with all your info/work info/experiences/class, so dont' worry, you're not losing all that much time. Even if the schools didn't use optomcas, I doubt their applications would be ready at this time anyways. :p

lovelydisaster

UHCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pre-Optometry
Don't forget your LORs! It's best to start asking for them sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
OH YEAH. haha, yeah, LORs. Get your resume together and include the essay that you're going to write. :p

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thanks for the tips! I'll start just gathering all the info for now, I already have my unofficial transcripts and resume ready. But I just don't know what to do with the LOR, even if I ask for them now, they can't complete it till the application is released right? Ugh. :p

Apr 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thanks for the tips! I'll start just gathering all the info for now, I already have my unofficial transcripts and resume ready. But I just don't know what to do with the LOR, even if I ask for them now, they can't complete it till the application is released right? Ugh. :p
There's no harm in giving your LOR's a heads up that you'll be needing letters from them soon, also explain how it works and when you'd need the letter..it's better to give ample time than ask them to rush the letters - yes in the end, Optomcas needs to open up for them to submit the letters

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thanks for clearing it up! I'll definitely ask them ahead of time and remind them when the date is closer.

Technology is advancing too fast for me to catch up these days. I almost miss the good old days of paper and snail mail. :p