Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spring888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize some version of this question has been asked multiple times, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so please humor me, SDN!

I applied to DO schools last cycle, but late in the cycle...I am on three wait lists right now, one of them "high wait list," but I think I should start my re-application now just in case those places don't work out.

My question is what to do with my personal statement. I know it is best to revise it and add what you've done over the past year, etc. The problem is that since I applied late, I really don't have much of anything new to add; it's only been a few months in reality. However, I am nervous that leaving my PS the same will hurt me. Some people say it's okay to do that but I wanted to get some more feedback!

I figure my PS was good enough to get my three interviews, so I don't necessarily think it was a part of my app that hurt me, to begin with.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless your personal statement sucks, why would you need to change it? Did your desire and reasons for becoming a DO change in the last year? Unless something really powerful happened in the last 12 mos that further impacted your desire, I would just have the non-trad or DO forum readers look it over and give you feedback...

I'm in a similar situation... 4 MD interviews, 4 MD waitlists. I applied late (verified in September) last cycle and am trying to submit on the first possible day this cycle - is it necessary to re-write a personal statement for a re-application?

Members don't see this ad :)
as I said, your PS doesn't need to change unless something about your desire to become a doctor changed... never put anything negative in your PS, and don't ramble about what you've done in the past year, that's for secondaries

I've seen several posts advising to change it. However, I was a reapplicant (same situation late application and 2 wait lists). I did not change anything and was successful this cycle. Although, it was to a school I didn't apply to the previous, but I was still offered interviews at those too.