Personal stories to help my friend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had lunch with a good, female friend of mine. She shared how excited she was that I am returning to school to go to med school (or at least try to go :) ).

After that, she started talking about how she had always wanted to go to med school, but hadn't. Now, she is married and has two children (6 and 3). She feels that it is too late for her. I tried to explain to her that it is never too late, etc. Of course, that rings kind of hollow coming from a single guy...

What I am asking for, if it is possible, are personal stories - either your own, or people you know, who were in similar situations and decided to go back. How did they do it, etc?

If my friend decides that she will not try for medical school because she does not want to, that is one thing, but to not try because she thinks it is not possible when it is - that is a shame.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

imrep1972 said:
I just had lunch with a good, female friend of mine. She shared how excited she was that I am returning to school to go to med school (or at least try to go :) ).

After that, she started talking about how she had always wanted to go to med school, but hadn't. Now, she is married and has two children (6 and 3). She feels that it is too late for her. I tried to explain to her that it is never too late, etc. Of course, that rings kind of hollow coming from a single guy...

What I am asking for, if it is possible, are personal stories - either your own, or people you know, who were in similar situations and decided to go back. How did they do it, etc?

If my friend decides that she will not try for medical school because she does not want to, that is one thing, but to not try because she thinks it is not possible when it is - that is a shame.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

It is very possible. Im 25 year old completing prereq courses (one in the morning before work, one after) . I work over 40 hours a week and have a wife with a newborn. It isnt easy, but it is very doable. Time management is key. Tell her to go for it if thats what she really wants. Also, I would tell her to weigh all her options first. Look at different avenues of health care before jumping into medicine. From what I hear, its a crazy lifestyle; you have to be fully dedicated, with no question that this is what you want to do with your life.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too late, but you have to make choices. I went back to school after 18 years (ack!) to get my degrees and do my pre-reqs. Finished my degrees (math and chemistry) in 3 years by taking 21 credits a semester and 12 in the summers. I was fortunate to be able to schedule my classes while my children were in school (and one year my son was in a pre-school on campus run by the education students). So here I am at the age of 38 applying to medical school.

As for having a family -- I have two wonderful children and a husband to whom I owe my sanity. My kids are now 7 and 10 and VERY excited about Mommy applying to medical school. As for work, I can't say: what pushed me back into school was a work-related injury that took a long time to heal and my employer fired me one year after the original injury as I was just about to go into surgery to attempt a fix. But I think 21 credits of hard-core science classes a semester should count about the same :).

So, too late? NEVER. I look at it in two ways: 1) I'm going to be 4 years older whether I go back to school or not; and 2) if I don't try, *I'm* the one saying no, and I deserve better than that.

Dr. Max Aguilera-Hellweg, photographer of these beautiful images for National Geographic's article on stem cells, was a successful photojournalist before he decided to become a doctor. He went back to school for the first time, and enrolled in pre-algebra, at age 39, and enrolled in medical school at 44. As of 2003, he is an MD.

Admittedly women have different issues than men (i.e., kids) but other people have done it and your friend can probably do it, too.

Thanks everyone... these are the kinds of things I am looking for to be able to share with her. Especially Shy's story, coming from the perspective of a married mom which is what she is dealing with...

I have a one year old (currently trying to sit on the keyobard) and am pregnant with a baby duein november. I'll be applying to med school next June and hopefully starting when the kids are 3 and 1.5. Is she a stay-at-home mom? I am a stay-at-home and take my pre-reqs onme at a time in the evnings at a local university. Husband arranged ot go work an hour earlier and leave an hour earlier so he could watch my son. I study after son goes to bed at night. In november i'll be taking physics I and i will have to go back right after having the baby but i know another girl who did that in organc chem last semester so i am not too worried. The main things you need to do this when you ahve kids: 1) a supportive husband/family 2)money to take your pre-reqs and 3) DRIVE. i'm so bonkers from watching a toddler all day i just LOVE studying at night. it's like a vacation. Kids are a great motivator too. I could never have gotten myself together enough to do this before i had my son as motivation. If she wants it and thinks its best for her kids, tell her to go for it! She could email me if she wanted.

Don't know if you are still checking this thread, but my story might help your friend. I decided at about age 34 that I wanted to pursue medicine, after having a successful career as a professional in a non-health field. I had two kids, 4 and 2, and was pregnant with #3. Since I had a degree, but no science background, I went back to university for 2 years to take prereqs, wrote the mcat (twice :oops: ) and applied to school - got in on my 2nd try. I am now entering med 2, have kids aged 9, 7 and 5, and am 40 years old. I am loving it! It is possible!

My husband has been fully supportive - he knows this is something I have been thinking about for a looooong time (as long as he has known me). He also makes a very good income, so that takes the money stress away. I know that I am very lucky. I am away from my kids alot though - gone all week and only home on weekends. They have adjusted extremely well, and are very proud of what I am doing. It has been hardest on the youngest though, as she really misses having mom around all the time - but she starts school this year and that will keep her busier and happier I hope :( .

If this is something your friend really wants to do - she will find a way to make it work.

Good luck to her!! Jag

It is possible. I'm a single Mom of a 12 yr old. I started undergrad at 29, finished at 34. I start medical school this fall.

38 years old with two kids 15 and 11, now a second year med student. Started undergrad also later in life around 34 ...so it can be done but it *is* a ton of work and many hours unavailable for your family...do not regret it one bit though.

efex101 said:
38 years old with two kids 15 and 11, now a second year med student. Started undergrad also later in life around 34 ...so it can be done but it *is* a ton of work and many hours unavailable for your family...do not regret it one bit though.

Hey efex...
Your story is awesome! How many times have we heard about people thinking its too late to go to college? Not only did you do that, you are taking things to another level by going to Medical School. Very impressive! Hats off to you.

I am 37, wife and mom of three kids ages 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 2. I am a third year med student.

In order to make this work, you must be determined and stubborn! The challenges are many! I am very thankful for a very supportive husband, my wonderful nanny, and my amazing parents who help fill in the gaps. My school has also been very supportive and my classmates are great.

I took the attitude that in May 2007 one of two things would happen: I could recieve my MD or I could look back with regret of not having pursued my dream. Happily I am more than halfway med school and thrilled to be where I am.