AAMC: Personal Story on Career Switcher

Started by deleted1103055
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1103055

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome story for those contemplating switching careers



Excerpt:

“Do you regret going into medicine?” read a text from a former co-worker within the first few weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic.

At the time, I had been in medical school for only about eight months, having recently transitioned out of a consulting job in the financial services industry. I had grown into that role after graduating from college with a degree in biology and psychology and, before I left, was managing revenue systems and clinical data repositories for pharmaceutical companies. But ultimately, my growing interest in patient engagement and advocacy — coupled with my desire to do research in the neurobiology of addiction — had motivated me to switch careers and pursue a physician-scientist track in my early 30s.