Pet dog third year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vox Animo

Runs with Scissors
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Right now I am a MSII and i want to get a pet dog. I have a month or so to train him before school, and during second year i will be able to come home througout the day. I can feasibly get a dog now. I was just wondering how people take care of their dogs iii and iv year. I really don't want to neglect the dog and would fell horrible about not giving it attention. Another reason i want to get a dog now is that, now i have the spare time to attend to him while he is a puppy, whereas i won't have the time during residency and in practice.

What are peoples experiences with this?

Does your dog handle be alone for 8-10 hours?

What do you think i should do?

Thanks

EDit--------FINALLY GOT MY DOG--------EDIT

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Right now I am a MSII and i want to get a pet dog. I have a month or so to train him before school, and during second year i will be able to come home througout the day. I can feasibly get a dog now. I was just wondering how people take care of their dogs iii and iv year. I really don't want to neglect the dog and would fell horrible about not giving it attention. Another reason i want to get a dog now is that, now i have the spare time to attend to him while he is a puppy, whereas i won't have the time during residency and in practice.

What are peoples experiences with this?

Does your dog handle be alone for 8-10 hours?

What do you think i should do?

Thanks

An adult, well trained dog should be able to handle 8 to 10 hours without any problem. However, I'd say on average, one out of every two days during your third year, you will definitely be at the hospital longer than that.

Your dog also won't magically disappear after your third or fourth year of medical school. During intern you, you basically will ALWAYS be at the hospital longer than 8-10 hrs. Then there's the overnight call during which you would need someone to come by at least two or three times to walk the dog and s/he will otherwise be alone during that long stretch.

As an intern who owns dogs, it is very very difficult. And I am married and my husband has to take over much of the responsibilty. And we have both sets of parents in town who can always help out. And we only adopt adults, never puppies (partly because I think it's just kinder to save a life since adults get euthanized very quickly in shelters and partly because puppies are a boatload of work--you will be waking up in the middle of the night to take them outside to pee for quite a while).

In my opinion, I think it's irresponsible for single person in medical school or residency to own a dog unless you have a fenced in yard with a doggie door. I simply don't think it's fair for the dog or the human and more times than not, young single professionals and/or students who think they can handle a puppy can't and they end up dumping it. (I work in animal rescue stuff and see it all the time. Even one of my good friends did it after I warned her not to get a puppy and it was infuriating.) It's a huge commitment--you must assume your dog will live at least 12-14 YEARS, esp. if you're thinking about a puppy. Dogs are also money pits even when they don't have real medical problems.

By the way, V for Vendetta is an AWESOME movie.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, I think it's irresponsible for single person in medical school or residency to own a dog unless you have a fenced in yard with a doggie door. I simply don't think it's fair for the dog or the human and more times than not, young single professionals and/or students who think they can handle a puppy can't and they end up dumping it. (I work in animal rescue stuff and see it all the time. Even one of my good friends did it after I warned her not to get a puppy and it was infuriating.) It's a huge commitment--you must assume your dog will live at least 12-14 YEARS, esp. if you're thinking about a puppy. Dogs are also money pits even when they don't have real medical problems.

Wow, that's pretty harsh!! I am not married, and I have a dog. I adopted him from the animal shelter six years ago, and I do not know what I would do without him. Dogs do require time (and some money), but they are worth every penny and every single second. I am a MS4. I do not own a house or have a doggie door. I drop my dog off at a friends house in the morning, and pick him up when I am done. He never spends the night alone. When I am in residency, I plan to do the same thing or hire a dog walker/doggie daycare. I make a lot of time for him when I am not working. If you really want a dog and are ready to make a long term commitment, it can be done. I do agree that you have to make an educated decision about this. It is not fair for the dog if you decide later that it is not going to work out. You are also not able to be as spontaneous with a dog (no unplanned weekend trips or overnight trips). Just know what you are getting into. I am entirely offended by the above comment but will refrain from saying anything too hostile. Single students can be wonderful parents, just as married couples can be awful. Please let us know what you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's pretty harsh!! I am not married, and I have a dog. I adopted him from the animal shelter six years ago, and I do not know what I would do without him. Dogs do require time (and some money), but they are worth every penny and every single second. I am a MS4. I do not own a house or have a doggie door. I drop my dog off at a friends house in the morning, and pick him up when I am done. He never spends the night alone. When I am in residency, I plan to do the same thing or hire a dog walker/doggie daycare. I make a lot of time for him when I am not working. If you really want a dog and are ready to make a long term commitment, it can be done. I do agree that you have to make an educated decision about this. It is not fair for the dog if you decide later that it is not going to work out. You are also not able to be as spontaneous with a dog (no unplanned weekend trips or overnight trips). Just know what you are getting into. I am entirely offended by the above comment but will refrain from saying anything too hostile. Single students can be wonderful parents, just as married couples can be awful. Please let us know what you decide.

True that single students can be good parents, but not everyone has the money or time to take their dog to doggie daycare or a friend's house every single day. I think that unless you have a very close, dedicated friend who is willing to take care of your puppy during third year and intern year, you should not get a dog until later in your medical career. Maybe a fish, turtle, or cat would be a better idea.

Of course people living alone can sometimes take care of a dog very well and sometimes a couple still has no idea how to properly take care of a dog. But as I cannot attest to every single individual case out there, I still stand by my statement that ON THE WHOLE, singles living by themselves in medical school or residency will have a very hard time raising a dog and especially a puppy. Most people are not as lucky as you to have a friend who is willing to look after their dog six days a week while they work during residency. Dog walkers are wonderful and we use one frequently but they are very expensive. Ditto for doggie day care. And as wonderful as doggie day care is, I've the best hours I've seen are 7am to 9pm. During my intern year thus far, I've never arrived at the hospital later than 7am and therefore doggie daycare would be impossible without my husband who can go into work much later than myself.

Think what you want--I don't really care if you're offended. The OP asked for advice and that's my opinion. I'm really glad you rescued a dog from a shelter and that it's working out so well for you. But my work with animal rescue and my own personal experiences as a dog owner lead me to believe your situation is the exception and not the rule.

To the OP--have you thought about getting a cat? Cats can be very affectionate, require far less intense daily care than dogs, and can live up to two decades. Plus they can be left alone overnight when you're on call without any problem. And it's much easier to litterbox train a cat than it is to housetrain a dog for the most part. There are lots of cats and kittens out there that could use homes, too!

if you love your dog, you'll figure it out and make it work.
if you don't, then i suppose you won't!

that may sound very black and white, and while a bit facetious, may be somewhat the truth.

i adopted a dog from a dog rescue agency when i was in my 3rd year of medical school. i'm now a 3rd year resident, and i have the same dog. i love him, and i've made it work. friends, family, and a tolerance for mistakes, and it's been all good.

you just need to be sure you're ready for this commitment. as pillowhead pointed out, many people give up after they realize some of the potential difficulties- and they're not even physicians (or physicians in training).

I could not live without my dog. My life revolves around her. 3rd year was pretty tough- sometimes she held it just fine for 12 hours. I had a dog sitter come once in the evening. I would get ounds done very early and sneak out to let her out. I do have a fenced yard, so that helps.
Kenneling is very expensive too. Puppies would almost be out of the question during 3rd year. Also, keep in mind that dogs are really puppyish well into their 2nd year of life. I wouldn't expect an an 18-month old to hold it for 10 hours.
Good luck- like someone said, if you love him and re ready to make him a priority, you can make it work.

You know, no matter how much a patient or a resident or an attending got you down during the day, nothing beats coming home to your dog who loves you unconditionally.

That said, yeah, unless you've got a significant other, spouse, roommate, neighbor, or someone else who can let your dog out and give him a bit of attention during the day, I'd recommend against it. A puppy is completely out of the question.

I know some people are dog people exclusively, but consider a cat if you're an animal lover in general. They're much more conducive to med school lifestyle.

You know, no matter how much a patient or a resident or an attending got you down during the day, nothing beats coming home to your dog who loves you unconditionally.
Also, after a rough day, nothing beats coming home and beating your dog who loves you unconditionally.

Agreed 100% with pillowhead. I think it would just be a huge pain in the butt. You will have overnight call many times starting 3rd year, so unless you can find someone who can take care of your dog while you're gone, it is definitely irresponsible to be owning one.

Also, after a rough day, nothing beats coming home and beating your dog who loves you unconditionally.
:lol:
I bet there will be some nice responses to that! :laugh:

I don't think its fair to the dog, and you don't need any extra complications.

Last time I was on call, I came home to find a roll of paper towels distributed in small bite-size pieces all throughout the kitchen and living room. No, some cats don't like being at home alone either. If I leave them overnight, there is always a broken glass or some evidence of unhappiness when I arrive home. Just get a dog when you get married or finish residency. It will be something you can look forward to. Until then, borrow your neighbor's dog sometimes.

I beg to differ. Cats are great during third year. Just put 'em in the crockpot with some celery, carrots, and chunks of potato. When you get home from your long shift, you'll have a nice, healthy, no-hassle dinner waiting for you. Like you said--something to look forward to, you know?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I beg to differ. Cats are great during third year. Just put 'em in the crockpot with some celery, carrots, and chunks of potato. When you get home from your long shift, you'll have a nice, healthy, no-hassle dinner waiting for you. Like you said--something to look forward to, you know?

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!
(but kinda funny, too)

However, I'd say on average, one out of every two days during your third year, you will definitely be at the hospital longer than that.

Agree with this. There are going to be rotations with fairly regular 12 hour days and calls now and then where you won't be leaving the hospital for 25+ hours. I'm not sure you want to come home after that to deal with the fact that your dog has soiled your carpet and trashed your apartment. Unless you have a roommate or SO who can serve as the primary caregiver of your pet while you are away, this is a really bad time to get any pet that lives outside of an aquarium or can't use a litter box, and needs to be fed more than once every couple of days.

Pillowhead and others make good points here. I totally agree that a puppy is absolutely out of the question... way too much time, money, and frustration that a student or resident can ill afford. If you're married/engaged and your significant other is keen to the idea of a dog (discuss costs, time, etc), then I think that adopting an adult dog (fixed, well tempered, and with all shots) is not a bad idea. If you're single, definitely stick to a cat or fish... it's not fair to the dog at all.

I have a medium sized dog, and between my fiancee and I, it does great. If I were single, there's no way I could take even minimally adequate care of the dog (especially during demanding local clinics, away clerkships, or residency).

One thing to be pretty concious of is the money factor. It was briefly mentioned above, but you really have to think it through. Here's some rough per month figures for basic needs:
Vet: $100+ for the basic annual "healthy dog" exam and Rx for basic meds, routine shots, etc = $10/mo
Meds: flea/tick $15, heartworm $5, shampoo $5, toothbrush + paste, etc = $25/mo
Food: $15+ per month for basic dry dog food, a bit of treats and can food $5+ per month = $20/mo
Bed/bowls/leashes/collar/harness/tags: $10+ per month (most is initial cost, but they wear out) = $10/mo
Toys: as much or as little as you want = $5/mo

That totals up to about $70/mo just for the bare minimum.
Most students don't have a lot of cash lying around.

There are also many other extra expenses that will pop up:
Initial adoption donation/purchase price (obviously highly variable but usually at least $200 for adoption)
Kennelling service: $25+ per day
Grooming, nail clippers, etc
Crate for home use or just car trips
Training: $100+ for six 1hr lessons
Extra vet visits and meds for illness, skin problems, etc = $$$
Additional license, rent, deposits you have to pay to get a house/apt that takes dogs
Fines/headaches you might get for your dog barking too much or crapping in somebody's yard
Shoes/carpet/clothes etc that the dog stinks up, gets fur all over, or chews

All in all, you don't want to make a decision like this on a whim. The rescue agencies don't just have a bunch of mutts who were found on the street. They are chock full of dogs that had owners who started out with the best intentions, but time constraints, having to move to a place with no dogs, an expensive illness the owner couldn't afford, a dog that wouldn't behave, etc make them end up in the pound or agencies. A lot of good advice was given here in this thread; think it through.

I think you've gotten great feedback already...but because I just went through exactly what you're asking about...I'll add my $0.02! :D

I am a third year, and got a 7 week old puppy after my first 4-week rotation. It has been tough! Without my wife and her desire to also have the dog, I don't think it would have worked!! I do feel bad for leaving him home and not being there all the time...and my wife and I at times feel bad for leaving the house to go out with friends etc. A puppy is a big committment and without help, I don't think it'd be a good idea for any medical student/resident...you have bigger things to worry about.

With that said...I can't imagine not having him. Everybody is absolutely right about the companionship that comes along with owning a pet, especially a dog (I'm not a cat fan...sorry).

As far as getting an adult dog and making your life easier...sure...it might take a little stress of training away...but you'll still have the time committment of caring and loving the dog...and truthfully...that should be the most concerning part...because it never ends. Training eventually ends! (At least I hope...;))

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

J

P.S. Here's a picture of my dog...he's 7 months now, his name is Hapa (he's a Pomeranian-Japanese mix).

Attachments

• 168118866110_0_ALB.jpeg
    168118866110_0_ALB.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 902828866110_0_ALB.jpeg
    902828866110_0_ALB.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 186
I love my dogs, but could not give them the care & attention they deserve without help (I'm married). If I were on my own, it would be really hard (although some people do make it work).

The main point I wanted to make here is please don't get a dog unless you're ready to commit to that animal for the remainder of its life. People that get dogs & then give them up a few months down the road because they "can't handle them" are stupid a**holes. Did they not realize they were getting a dog? A living creature who would need to be fed, walked, played with? Did they think they were getting a book or a new pair of shoes?

Sorry to get on the soapbox .....

Anyway, if you decide to go ahead with this, consider adopting an adult dog rather than a puppy. There are so many great dogs out there that need a loving home, and an adult dog is likely to already be housebroken and probably a bit more laid back than a puppy. This could be a little easier for you given the other demands on your time right now. Regardless of age, if you treat the dog well (some food, a warm place to sleep, an occasional scratch behind the ears) he will be closely bonded to you -- you don't need to start with a puppy to end up with a great dog.:)

It looks like this was a revived post from August...OP probably already made up his mind one way or the other ;)

But, as someone else who has considered getting a dog (single, 3rd year) this info has helped, although they are all points I've already considered and are the reason why I remain dog-less :(

Deathly allergic to cats, but my fish makes me smile.

I think everything has been said.

I just wanted a platform to talk about my dog-I love her so much and I don't know what I would do without her! If I didn't have her bringing me her squeaking rubber chicken and begging me to take her for a walk-I would study for unhealthy amounts of time.

I would bring her to class if I could.

We could turn this thread into a quasi-related animal therapy thread-I am curious if anyone else has experienced Easter Seals riding programs or therapy dog programs?

Attachments

• christmas.JPG
    christmas.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 199
I have a 3-year-old black lab that I felt terrible about leaving for 12+ hours per day when I was working and now in school. Although I'm only a 1st year, I ended up getting another puppy. Despite normal puppy woes, I think it was a great decision. They have a backyard and doggie door as well; furthermore, and there is something to be said for this, I no longer feel bad if I have to leave them for extended periods of time.

What about those of us who aren't in yet (probably not even applying this cycle, but the following one)?

Assuming I get in, would it be feasible to have an adult dog by the time year 3 rolls around? I would obviously need to find ways to take care of it, but it's hard to predict THAT far down the road.

My two cents too...I am a 4th yr MS and have a 7 yr old golden. Long hours but stuff works out. I am blessed with landlords that kept him when i was out of the country for 6weeks, friends that fight over him and housing away that let me have him. With the exceptin of 10 weeks during the past two yrs he has been with me. Also, I got him certified as a theapy dog - so he goes on rounds with me at some local hospitals, nursing homes and neuro rehab hospitals. Yes, I do send him to daycare 1-2 x/month. I cannot imagine life without him and I know several patients who would be dissapointed if they did not see him at least once a month. Good luck with your possible future pet.

If you want a dog, get a dog. I got my dog in college, on a last minute decision, when we were not even allowed to have dogs in the dorms. It was the best last minute decision I have ever made. Get one now, while you have time to train it. But you will be suprised how much time you have. If you love dogs, you will be fine. Dont let these 'dont get a dog, cause you wont have time for it' people make you feel bad. Most people work during the day, most people have a dog...it will work out.

Well i finally ending up getting a dog. About a week before boards too, so he has been adjusting my study schedule. He is a 2-3 year old boxer/Retriever that i adopted from an animal shelter. He was crate trained, so he is used to hangin out my himself for the day. And i'm leaving with three other guys, so between the four of us, there should always be someone off call the take care of him. And so far, best decision i've ever made. Just gotta work on some obedience training and get him on a only two-walk a day schedule. he's sleeping by me now.

What about those of us who aren't in yet (probably not even applying this cycle, but the following one)?

Assuming I get in, would it be feasible to have an adult dog by the time year 3 rolls around? I would obviously need to find ways to take care of it, but it's hard to predict THAT far down the road.

I got a dog my sophomore year of college. I love her and can't imagine coming home and not having her want to play with me--it's one of those things that makes med school/resident life tolerable when it's tough.

That being said, I would NOT have gotten a dog immediately before starting clinicals. My dog is an English bulldog, which is a pretty low-maintenance (read: sleeps most of the time) breed. I get by during calls/long days by having friends who are not on call come by and walk her, and I had family in the city where I went to med school so that made it easier. It's hard enough to be fair to a pet with all the extra help I get, and I think it would be really, really rough on a more active breed of dog (Weimareiner, lab, retriever) or a new puppy--to the point of being unfair to the dog.

If you want to get a dog, they're a huge comfort and tons of fun, but you should make sure it's a low-maintenance breed that doesn't need a lot of space to run around, you should make sure it's house-trained before you start 3rd year, and it definitely helps to have friends/family/spouse/live-in butler/etc. to help you take care of it when you can't come home.

I'm glad you ended up deciding on an adult dog. My first dog was an older puppy (5 months) and required a lot more training than my second dog, who I got at about 2.5 years old from a shelter. I'm also glad you got a larger dog because, in general, they are able to hold out on urinating longer than a small dog.

I am a single vet student with two small dogs that need to be walked about every 8 hours. During my clinical year, I plan on having friends who are not working late come over to walk them. Fortunately, since I'm in vet school, I have an abundance of dog-loving friends.

Also crate-training is great. It protects your house from getting destroyed by a bored dog. Plus, your vet will love you because it will make it that much easier for him/her and staff to take care of the dog when it comes in for vaccines/boarding.

Just make sure you don't skimp on the socialization and exercise. Boxers and retrievers both like exercising so try to get out to the park or go for runs together on your days/times off.

Congrats and have fun! I don't know what I'd do without my little guys. They're great friends at the end of a rough day.

Here is how to make it work:

2 dogs (so they can play together)
1 dog door that leads to outside fenced in area to go pee (must train)
1 continuous food dispensor (I use this one that is actually a full container of food that just drops down whenever the dog eats the bowel)
1 continuous water dispenser (~10 dollars at petco)
Several toys of different shapes, sizes, textures

low maintence. I just check the feeder and water dispenser every couple of days. I play with them when I can but they spend HOURS playing with each other. My SO is home every evening but he never has to let them out because they just go out as they please.

its easy. And totally worth it. I LOVE my dogs (two labs)

Here is how to make it work:

2 dogs (so they can play together)
1 dog door that leads to outside fenced in area to go pee (must train)
1 continuous food dispensor (I use this one that is actually a full container of food that just drops down whenever the dog eats the bowel)
1 continuous water dispenser (~10 dollars at petco)
Several toys of different shapes, sizes, textures

low maintence. I just check the feeder and water dispenser every couple of days. I play with them when I can but they spend HOURS playing with each other. My SO is home every evening but he never has to let them out because they just go out as they please.

its easy. And totally worth it. I LOVE my dogs (two labs)

Where do you get the bowel to feed your dogs? Sounds like a good premise for a horror movie.

Well i finally ending up getting a dog. About a week before boards too, so he has been adjusting my study schedule. He is a 2-3 year old boxer/Retriever that i adopted from an animal shelter. He was crate trained, so he is used to hangin out my himself for the day. And i'm leaving with three other guys, so between the four of us, there should always be someone off call the take care of him. And so far, best decision i've ever made. Just gotta work on some obedience training and get him on a only two-walk a day schedule. he's sleeping by me now.
p)update??