Pet peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what used to irritate me during residency? The cardiac anesthesiologists who think they are hot sh1t. Bring them to a sedation case for a cataract and they cancel it for total BS. “This patient took his metformin today, cancel this short sedation case.”

Residency sucked. You had to adjust your plan to satisfy the ego of your attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
When hospital staff use the elevator to go up or go down one floor instead of using the stairs. Or try to get in without letting people exit the elevator
People who stand inches from the elevator door and rush in the moment it opens will forever bother me far more than it ever really should. I blame growing up in the Midwest

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also hate it when I ask for mallampati score and their tongue is white as hell. Do they not brush their tongue ?

"Open your mouth as wide as you can and sick out your tongue"

Patient proceeds to relax their jaw halfway and protrude their tongue just passed their teeth.

Reactions: 3 users
"Open your mouth as wide as you can and sick out your tongue"

Patient proceeds to relax their jaw halfway and protrude their tongue just passed their teeth.
I’ve noticed that patients have struggled following these commands ever since We all started masking up.

Apparently “open your mouth and stick your tongue out” is a reasonable request. But that third step to make it “pull your mask to the side, open your mouth, and stick your tongue out” just takes too much mental cpu for the average patient.

Of course I’m in a region of the country where absolute fools become senators, so I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve noticed that patients have struggled following these commands ever since We all started masking up.

Apparently “open your mouth and stick your tongue out” is a reasonable request. But that third step to make it “pull your mask to the side, open your mouth, and stick your tongue out” just takes too much mental cpu for the average patient.

Of course I’m in a region of the country where absolute fools become senators, so I shouldn’t be too surprised.

I don’t even bother to have otherwise normal looking patients remove the mask and am sometimes surprised by an unexpected mustache when I remove their mask to preoxygenate.

Here’s one:

When some patients (in my experience always women) insist on proclaiming every aspect of their experience that is different from a different time they had surgery.

“I don’t remember this from last time!”

“Yes Ma’am, anesthetics are like snowflakes…”

Reactions: 1 user
Me to tech/nurse: "Do you know where (the ultrasound machine) is? (It's/they're) not in the usual place(s)."

Tech/nurse: "(It/they) should be there."

• Haha