Pet peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
References to grounding pad instead of return pad.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Every single case:

OR gadgets sitting next to the OR table. Bovie, Neptune, lap tower, whatever. They know the gurney has to fit there to get the patient on the table. They know that **** has to move. And every single case they still put it there, and act all surprised that the gurney bumps into it to make room.

Every. Single. Case.

One of these days I'm going to get a running start to ram that crap out of the way, just to see if that gets the point across. One of the motorized bariatric beds with 400 pounds of ballast on it, in high gear, is going to crash through it like the Kool Aid man.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry we don't have any 0.25% only 0.5%

Reactions: 2 users
Every single case:

OR gadgets sitting next to the OR table. Bovie, Neptune, lap tower, whatever. They know the gurney has to fit there to get the patient on the table. They know that **** has to move. And every single case they still put it there, and act all surprised that the gurney bumps into it to make room.

Every. Single. Case.

One of these days I'm going to get a running start to ram that crap out of the way, just to see if that gets the point across. One of the motorized bariatric beds with 400 pounds of ballast on it, in high gear, is going to crash through it like the Kool Aid man.

Now I just stay sitting down and keep doing my thing so I don't waste time worrying about it. I'm billing for the time anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Patients immediately covered with 6 blankets before I get the EKG electrodes on and hook up the BP cuff.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
And French comes from Latin where the C's are pronounced like K's so I tell the nurse to pull my stylet just a kontimeter.
Not going there 😀
Every single case:

Every. Single. Case.

I rolled an OR table with the patient on it to PACU once because I couldn't get anyone to move the patient to a stretcher. Sounded like a freight train going down the hall. My peers were rolling on the floor - the nurses weren't amused. :)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
When the OR nurse starts doing a sternal rub and yelling at a patient to wake up at emergence. First of all, that's not your job. Second... That's not helping!

Reactions: 4 users
When the OR nurse starts doing a sternal rub and yelling at a patient to wake up at emergence. First of all, that's not your job.
Yeah, the sternal rub and Miracle Max HELLOINTHERE impersonation is my job.

If the sternal rub and WHAT YOU GOT HERE THAT'S WORTH LIVING FOR doesn't work, there's always forehead tapping, jaw thrusting, and reaching for the Narcan while blaming the resident for giving too much opioid. :)

When the OR nurse starts doing a sternal rub and yelling at a patient to wake up at emergence. First of all, that's not your job. Second... That's not helping!
Agreed, those pain points are to check responsiveness on an unknown, found down type pt. Not someone who is waking up from anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Used to love recovery room nurse waking patient to ask what their pain level was.
Funny story, we were doing a block in pre-op and the RN had just given ERAS meds. So she's trying to chart pain scores since she's giving Tylenol... except she asks what the pain level was RIGHT as my needle went in.

You know what burns my bum?

CVS receipts.

People that pay at the parking gate instead of paying at the kiosk before getting their car.

and, Slow moving wide loads that walk side by side in narrow passages instead of single file.

• Haha
Patients in pre-op noticing and commenting how young I look (currently a year out from CT fellowship), then ask me “make sure you take care of me 🤨”. Then surgeon - the guy who’s about to chop them up - busts in and are welcomed like another one of the patients’ children.
I got so annoyed with the “take good care of him” comment from family members that I started to say preemptively “I will take great care of you.”

But then I started to get “you better” which is way more annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I got so annoyed with the “take good care of him” comment from family members that I started to say preemptively “I will take great care of you.”

“That’s why I’m there!” or something similar. Have to get the last word in 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
This thread tangentially reminds me of this meme…

75BF580C-BA24-41D4-A5ED-E4339E6BE6C7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I don’t have much that bugs me…. but for some reason pronunciation of certain words catches my eyes.

glyyyyyyyyyydeascope and arthroskoooopy are eyebrow raising as it’s a daily assault on the pronunciation of those words..

I don’t have much that bugs me…. but for some reason pronunciation of certain words catches my eyes.

glyyyyyyyyyydeascope and arthroskoooopy are eyebrow raising as it’s a daily assault on the pronunciation of those words..
Friend gave me this patient questionnaire gem,
Has a Hart doctor for his In large hart.
I'm guessing questions regarding his most recent echo wouldn't yield much information.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Old-timer colleague, just yesterday, said this to a girl and her mother said "you better!"

He lost it. Lectured the mother about how inappropriate it is, how in 30 years he has only had 1 other person say that to him. He even went as far as to say that if she feels the need to threaten him like that he'll be happy to have another colleague take his place.

I've had parents say this crap to me and I just reassure them once again.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Old-timer colleague, just yesterday, said this to a girl and her mother said "you better!"

He lost it. Lectured the mother about how inappropriate it is, how in 30 years he has only had 1 other person say that to him. He even went as far as to say that if she feels the need to threaten him like that he'll be happy to have another colleague take his place.

Yeah, I agree, yours is the right approach. Old timer needs to settle down. They're anxious and afraid, and some people make stupid jokes when they're anxious and afraid. Getting angry at the patient or a family member whose fear bubbles over isn't a helpful thing to do.

Patients do lots of things that annoy me. This barely ticks the meter.

Reactions: 9 users
I once asked my attending if I could try out the new glide-uh-scope on a healthy young ath-a-lete getting an arth-ur-roscopy and from his reaction I thought he was gonna go nuke-yew-lar

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah, I agree, yours is the right approach. Old timer needs to settle down. They're anxious and afraid, and some people make stupid jokes when they're anxious and afraid. Getting angry at the patient or a family member whose fear bubbles over isn't a helpful thing to do.

Patients do lots of things that annoy me. This barely ticks the meter.
I see your point... but I also hear a threat. Fear and anxiety can excuse a lot of behavior up to a point. I'd probably give them a chance to clarify, "I understand you're anxiety regarding this but please be careful making comments that could possibly be interpreted as a threat." If they follow it up with something like "It is," forget it, I'm out.

I see your point... but I also hear a threat. Fear and anxiety can excuse a lot of behavior up to a point. I'd probably give them a chance to clarify, "I understand you're anxiety regarding this but please be careful making comments that could possibly be interpreted as a threat." If they follow it up with something like "It is," forget it, I'm out.
I don't understand why some people suck so much. Anytime my loved ones have gone back for a surgery after the pre-op, the anesthesiologist gets a "thank you for taking care of them!" from me...

One of the mafia boss is going to have surgery and had chosen this surgeon. Few days before the surgery, the boss “invited” the surgeon for dinner to meet his “family.”

Now that’s a ****ing threat.

• Haha
  • Wow
surgeon wanting to put in foley or position the patient, jostling patient around while we are in the middle of induction and intubation.
like wtf is it that much to wait 2 minutes?

Slap their hands. Literally slap their hands. Only had to do it once and the surgeon never tried again. A glare and a "Dude, what the ****" also helps.

Key to this is to have the OR staff in your corner.

• Haha
Slap their hands. Literally slap their hands. Only had to do it once and the surgeon never tried again. A glare and a "Dude, what the ****" also helps.

Sounds like battery

Eh...more of a strong tap. If that's battery then I'm guilty as charged and not sorry.

so I suppose I misused the word literally....which happens to be my personal pet peeve, lol.

• Haha

Haven't done any hand slapping but did yell at them to stop a few times before

Sounds like battery

I know a guy who slapped the hand of a nurse during induction. That incident was used as one of the reasons why our contract was not renewed at that hospital and given to a competing group. Be careful who’s hand you slap. Better not to do it at all.

• Wow
I know a guy who slapped the hand of a nurse during induction. That incident was used as one of the reasons why our contract was not renewed at that hospital and given to a competing group. Be careful who’s hand you slap. Better not to do it at all.
Slapping the hand of a nurse just shows poor social intelligence. Of course slapping the hand of someone who could be seen as a lower rank (even if you don't feel this way, HR would see it this way) is going to land anyone in hot water. Slapping (and again, read my edit, more of a tap) the hand of your peer as they're endangering the patient is different. Ya gotta read the room, people.

Anyhoo...don't want to derail a fun thread so I'll stop!

Structural heart device reps that ask me..."how's he doin'?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

When they say "you better" I generally say "well you'd be really pissed off if I didn't, right?" That usually gets a laugh and all is well.

• Haha
Also, "nare" isn't the singular of "nares"
incredible. My pedantry just gained a powerful tool.

Pointing out the medical logos that use a cadeceus instead of the proper Rod of Asclepius is my favorite way of being an annoying little s**t

Reactions: 8 users

Pointing out the medical logos that use a cadeceus instead of the proper Rod of Asclepius is my favorite way of being an annoying little s**t
Given that the caduceus is apparently a symbol of commerce it seems pretty apt to just use it in this day and age.

Reactions: 9 users
Old colleagues who condescendingly ridicule me for using a peripheral nerve stimulator to guide neuromuscular blockade and reversal. "Oh you still use that? I haven't used that since residency!" It literally takes exactly two seconds to hold it against somebody's nerve and run a TOF. These are the same people who give people twice as much anesthesia as they need because they're afraid to dose nondepolarizing neuromuscular blockers appropriately. PACU nurses also tell me it's not uncommon they get people gasping like a fish inadequately reversed, too.

When they say "you better" I generally say "well you'd be really pissed off if I didn't, right?" That usually gets a laugh and all is well.
If the comment happens that often and I'm really not aware of it then I'm suspecting my subconscious mind is blocking these messages from reaching the conscious cortex regions to protect me from later receiving one of those "Come see me when you have a minute" messages from the boss.

• Haha

We can thank the army medical corps for that one

Here’s one: I hate it when nurses start calling themselves “anesthesiologist”

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
And the New Hampshire Supreme Court agrees with you. Let's get more states to say the same.
I once met an individual that introduced themselves as an anesthesiologist. I asked for their best advice for med school and where they trained. I kid you not they said "so and so school of nursing." Tell me more :shifty:

• Haha
I once met an individual that introduced themselves as an anesthesiologist. I asked for their best advice for med school and where they trained. I kid you not they said "so and so school of nursing." Tell me more :shifty:

What a fukking joke. Same as the staff nurses who call themselves attending nurse, and "board certified" midlevels who say they did a "fellowship" (which is distance part time nursing education -- because they want to work full time and do this on the side -- for like 4 weeks and I guess they bypass the "nursing residency" too). That is NOT a fellowship. It's called a fukking certificate.

The misappropriation of medical training terms by these wannabees is ridiculous. But more notably, this really says how piss poor midlevel nursing education is. I mean if this is the top of their training it is pretty weak.

Last edited:
  • Haha