Pet Peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
School-related --
1) Prof that says, "I've been here for over 15 year and never seen a case of this but," and proceeds to spend half an hour on it. Not exactly the prof's fault since it's on high rotation with the boards, just irritating.
2) Last-minute schedule changes. Just today we had a mandatory lab scheduled at 2:00, but they announced during the nonmandatory 11:00 lecture that it'd been changed to tomorrow.

Non-school --
4 words: slower traffic keep right.

OK, procrastination break ovah.

Members don't see this ad.

School-related --
1) Prof that says, "I've been here for over 15 year and never seen a case of this but," and proceeds to spend half an hour on it. Not exactly the prof's fault since it's on high rotation with the boards, just irritating.

That reminds me of a lecture we had on some obscure disease that we will probably never see, yet we will be tested on it for :confused: :sleep:

uggs. Those are my pet peeve.

Members don't see this ad :)

Osteitis fibrosa cystica. One of the nephrologists who's been practicing for 20+ years who taught us said he's never seen one. Freakin awesome.

Normally I have a huge list of these but right now I'm feeling happy (or at least not stressed :confused: ) so i can't add.

Uggs are awesome. They keep make it so my toes don't get numb walking to class in toes in -15F.

School related:
Lecturers being late for class then telling us to be "professional" and "flexible" then they continue to go on with their lecture for an hour and 10 min.

Non-school:
Open cabinets and drawers.
Raynauds

I have a non-ugg brand look-alike. I the only reason I have them is purely for being outside with my dog. I've worn them in public w/out my dog once. They really are ugly. But functional.

Same thing goes for clothes on dogs. I absolutely hate it, but my dog's fur is too thin, and in order to go for walks under 50 degrees, she needs a coat. I hate it, but it's necessary.

I hate it when people raise their hand in lecture and after they are called upon they start the sentence "I have a question................." i just think to myself no crap maybe that is why your hand was in the air to start with

School-related --

Non-school --
4 words: slower traffic keep right.

OK, procrastination break ovah.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
YES. I think there should be signs on the highway that say "Left lane for passing only". Getting in the left lane and then going the EXACT same speed as the car next to you is NOT passing.

Students asking about other peoples grades and wanting to know about other ppl's business is definitely annoying. What makes you think I want to tell you if I havn't already. Ugh.... Someone comes to mind already for me.

In addition, passive aggressive people just piss me off.

Another thing that peeves me is when theres a school snow cancellation and the undergraduate, law, all schools EXCEPT the medical school is closed because of some silly policy which says that they don't close except for extreme emergencies. Then I have to drive 5-10 miles into school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a non-ugg brand look-alike. I the only reason I have them is purely for being outside with my dog. I've worn them in public w/out my dog once. They really are ugly. But functional.

Same thing goes for clothes on dogs. I absolutely hate it, but my dog's fur is too thin, and in order to go for walks under 50 degrees, she needs a coat. I hate it, but it's necessary.

Well, it isn't the actual shoes that I take issue with. It is the brand. An ugly shoe is an ugly shoe but when people pretend like they aren't ugly just because other people are pretending like they aren't ugly it becomes ridiculous. If Uggs were 19.99 nobody would like them. When everyone pretends like they aren't terrible it just reinforces this ******ed social agreement that has made Uggs a status symble among women. If I could yell loud enough I would convince the whole world at once that Uggs are ugly and are not symbles of status. They are symbols of a lack of independent thought.

Lecturers who are too lazy to edit their powerpoints and at least try to make them readable.

MS3s who ask me "what do I have to do to get honors on your rotation" the same day as saying "you don't actually want me to see that patient, do you?"

So have you decided what you're going to do yet?

aka

What speciality are you going into?

aka

What kind of doctor are you going to be?

:thumbdown:

Can I wear contacts in med school? Can I have a pet in med school? Can I go to the gym during med school? Can I shower during med school?......umm you're going to school not another planet

Can I wear contacts in med school? Can I have a pet in med school? Can I go to the gym during med school? Can I shower during med school?......umm you're going to school not another planet

:laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

Ha ha ha! :D That one was so right on the spot!

My pet peeves?

Auhorities at med school who don't fulfill their simple duties, sit on MSN messenger all day long and claim that they have so much to do. Seriously.

Students who never share the information they aquire to the others in their class.

1) people who preface questions with "quick question"
2) intersections with "no right turn on red" signs
3) people who chew with their mouths open or talk with their mouths full
4) even numbers/symmetrical numbers
5) people who are 10 minutes late to lecture then haven't muted their computers so they beep when turned on
6) people who make extensive spreadsheet notes and don't share them when asked. (Understandable, even if a bit assholey if the grades are curved; inexcusable if [like ours] they're not)

1)
3) people who chew with their mouths open or talk with their mouths full

That drives me up the wall. I also hate it when people you are with in a movie talk throughout the whole thing and then ask you what just happened. I mean HFS!!! watch the movie! That is why you paid the $9.:mad:

Also:

people who talk during the movie and ruin moments. I find this especially true for scary movies and some idiot at the top is screaming "WATCH OUT B!TCH!" (or other equally stupid line) to elicit a laugh.

people who eat food in class that is extremely pungent, loud, or the like. People who have annoying ticks in class like shaking the entire table by shaking their legs, or making smacking noises with their mouths, etc...etc... make lecture more annoying than it needs to be already.

Also during exams, you'll notice other things like other students that are constantly sneezing, sniffing, sighing, breathing hard, coughing, ripping through pages etc..etc... can be irksome when you reach the third hour of an exam...

6) people who make extensive spreadsheet notes and don't share them when asked. (Understandable, even if a bit assholey if the grades are curved; inexcusable if [like ours] they're not)

I don't understand why this is a pet peeve. If you spent a lot of time making study notes for yourself, why would you want to just give your hard work away to other people?

I don't understand why this is a pet peeve. If you spent a lot of time making study notes for yourself, why would you want to just give your hard work away to other people?

Maybe they could be flaunting the fact that they have them. Otherwise, it seems kinda nosy to see that someone made a table then go ask for it.

Telling someone that I'm in med school, then being asked if I'm going to be a nurse. :mad:

Also, when someone says that they're going to do something, then don't.

I do. Since they're a) already made and b) on my computer, it takes 10 seconds to send out an e-mail with it attached.

I guess "pet peeve" isn't really appropriate, since it's not like it's something trivial that makes your skin crawl or that drives you slowly insane. Still, it's annoying in a non-competitive environment. Why waste 100 (students) x 2 (200) manhours to make a chart of gram neg bacilli when you could have 1 x 2 (2) manhours devoted to it plus 10 seconds to send an e-mail, while other students make notes of something else?

There's a reason specialization of labor works so well in other realms of life. :)

Pagemmapants is my pet peeve. She makes my skin crawl.

Esp. when she shuts my computer so it falls asleep in the middle of class, and then I have to wake it up and it makes that BEEP!

I do. Since they're a) already made and b) on my computer, it takes 10 seconds to send out an e-mail with it attached.

I guess "pet peeve" isn't really appropriate, since it's not like it's something trivial that makes your skin crawl or that drives you slowly insane. Still, it's annoying in a non-competitive environment. Why waste 100 (students) x 2 (200) manhours to make a chart of gram neg bacilli when you could have 1 x 2 (2) manhours devoted to it plus 10 seconds to send an e-mail, while other students make notes of something else?

There's a reason specialization of labor works so well in other realms of life. :)

You have a point, but I'm not in a non-competitive environment with 100+ students. I'm at a satellite campus with only 14 other students, and we are still insanely competitive even into 2nd year. But, it's hard not to be competitive when you realize only 2 people will get honors, and about 5 HP, etc. (yeah, yeah, grades don't matter) I absolutely hate it when nosy people look over my shoulder to see what I'm studying and then want copies of my notes/tables/whatever. I guess I still have the "I did the work, why should I help you out" mentality.

You have a point, but I'm not in a non-competitive environment with 100+ students. I'm at a satellite campus with only 14 other students, and we are still insanely competitive even into 2nd year. But, it's hard not to be competitive when you realize only 2 people will get honors, and about 5 HP, etc. (yeah, yeah, grades don't matter) I absolutely hate it when nosy people look over my shoulder to see what I'm studying and then want copies of my notes/tables/whatever. I guess I still have the "I did the work, why should I help you out" mentality.

At our school, if you have higher than a 90% average, you get honors. So, theoretically, if the whole class gets above a 90, everyone gets honors. That's what she meant by non-competitive.

At our school, if you have higher than a 90% average, you get honors. So, theoretically, if the whole class gets above a 90, everyone gets honors.

Is this a joke? :confused:

What's the story I'm trying to remember ... something about a town "where every child is above average", or something. Anyone?

At our school, if you have higher than a 90% average, you get honors. So, theoretically, if the whole class gets above a 90, everyone gets honors. That's what she meant by non-competitive.

Alright, well then I take back my statements (although they still apply for the situation at my school). Obviously it would be stupid not to share information at your school.

Let's get this thread back to pet peeves. Mine:
- People who are consistently at least 10 minutes late to lecture and b*tch whenever they do come on time but the lecturer is a few minutes late.
- People who ask questions for which they already know the answer (are they trying to look smart by asking questions or something?)
- People who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom -- come on, med students should know better -- gross!

Premeds and 1st years giving advice as if they know what they're talking about.

What's the story I'm trying to remember ... something about a town "where every child is above average", or something. Anyone?

Lake Wobegon: Where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all of the children are above average.

Alright, well then I take back my statements (although they still apply for the situation at my school). Obviously it would be stupid not to share information at your school.

Let's get this thread back to pet peeves. Mine:
- People who are consistently at least 10 minutes late to lecture and b*tch whenever they do come on time but the lecturer is a few minutes late.
- People who ask questions for which they already know the answer (are they trying to look smart by asking questions or something?)
- People who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom -- come on, med students should know better -- gross!

How about "So, I read this journal article years ago... and it was kind of related to this topic, so I'm going to ask about it instead of letting everyone leave".

The overly apologetic....
(i.e. those who ask 100 questions during class, beginning every one with "I'm sorry...")

The guy in the left lane who is burning gas and oil, with the SUV, who is rolling down the window, changing the radio/ television channel, involved in a heated argument, who is on a cell phone! [This completely freaks me out!]

people who go "shhhhhhh"

is this freakin kindergarten!?

haha, amusing.

how bout when the A/V guys are so incompetent and lazy, the equipment doesnt work in the morning.

and then the lecture never gets recorded

the people who sit up at the front and ask questions on everything. the lecture could be on urination and theyd ask "so could a boy technically urinate sitting down if he wanted to or must he stand up?" for god's sake, use some logic :mad:

professors with terribly thick accents and youre not sure if you should ask for clarification or if thatd be rude

psychiatrists who show videos and ask "how does this make you feel"

students who bring their baby in to lecture

is this freakin daycare?

Students asking about other peoples grades and wanting to know about other ppl's business is definitely annoying. What makes you think I want to tell you if I havn't already. Ugh.... Someone comes to mind already for me.

This especially bothers me when the person doesn't even know my name and I don't know their name. If you're gonna ask for my MCAT/GPA/exam grade at least introduce yourself first! :eek:

Other Pet Peeves:
*People who don't use their turn signals. Tell me what you are doing! Let's communicate.
*Classrooms with no left-handed desks.
*Uggs+short denim skirt. Really? I'm ok with Uggs when they are used functionally but if it is warm enough for a skirt it is too warm for uggs and if it is too cold, well you get the idea.

Well, it isn't the actual shoes that I take issue with. It is the brand. An ugly shoe is an ugly shoe but when people pretend like they aren't ugly just because other people are pretending like they aren't ugly it becomes ridiculous. If Uggs were 19.99 nobody would like them. When everyone pretends like they aren't terrible it just reinforces this ******ed social agreement that has made Uggs a status symble among women. If I could yell loud enough I would convince the whole world at once that Uggs are ugly and are not symbles of status. They are symbols of a lack of independent thought.

People wearing Uggs because they live somewhere freezing is one thing, but the trend of wearing uggs with bare legs and a mini skirt in the spring/summer (in say, NYC or LA) is a major pet peeve of mine...

Groups of people who walk side by side, VERY slowly, talking and effectively blocking traffic in the direction they are travelling. I mean blocking the entire hallway, except maybe a sliver on the left to allow people to walk single file in the opposite direction. Makes me feel like Im on some rural road driving behind a dumptruck doing 15mph and edging onto oncoming traffic to see if it's safe to pass. Either walk faster, or f****** move to the right, just get out of my way. I wish I had one of those train horns that I could just hold behind their heads, right by their ears, and honk it full blast. Try having a conversation now that you lost your sense of hearing a-hole. Seriously, aaaarg.

School-related:

1) People who ask questions about subject matter that may seem relevant but that were totally unnecessary given that the lecturer is clearly about to address the point in his next breath. Wait till the end of class or at least till the end of a section.

2) People who consistently say "I have a question" before they answer a question

3) People who walk in front of the lecturer after arriving 70 minutes late to lecture bringing some random guy and a bag of cookies with them.

4) People who run down the stairs to ask the lecturer a question after lecture.

Non-school related:

1) People who are pushy in the supermarket in a non-hurricane situation
2) People who turn their indicator the wrong way on the expressway and then cut you off
3) People who honk when you don't make a left turn on a red

Groups of people who walk side by side, VERY slowly, talking and effectively blocking traffic in the direction they are travelling. I mean blocking the entire hallway, except maybe a sliver on the left to allow people to walk single file in the opposite direction. Makes me feel like Im on some rural road driving behind a dumptruck doing 15mph and edging onto oncoming traffic to see if it's safe to pass. Either walk faster, or f****** move to the right, just get out of my way. I wish I had one of those train horns that I could just hold behind their heads, right by their ears, and honk it full blast. Try having a conversation now that you lost your sense of hearing a-hole. Seriously, aaaarg.

:confused: why do people walk three-abreast on a sidewalk!?!

:confused: why do people walk three-abreast on a sidewalk!?!

Why indeed? Might just be two fat people, though. There's this one loooong hallway at my hospital that's fairly narrow, and it's not uncommon to pass a couple of morbidly obese women waddling along talking about Oprah and fish sticks while a trail of like 10 or 12 irritated people follow along behind them waiting for an opportunity to pass. At the opposite end of the spectrum, getting behind a crazy old lady in a motorized scooter is the best. You're guaranteed to either get where you're going quickly or get some entertainment seeing her run over some already half-dead resident rounding a corner.