petals around the rose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhbighit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

See how long it takes you to get it......

THEN read about the possible correlation between how long it takes you to get it and your intelligence level

It took me about an hour and a half.... I have friends that have gotten it in 5 minutes, see how it is for you.

EDIT: by the way, its PETALS not pedals, haha, my bad, wasn't paying attention

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

THEN read about the possible correlation between how long it takes you to get it and your intelligence level

It took me about an hour and a half.... I have friends that have gotten it in 5 minutes, see how it is for you.

Maybe it's a typo, but sometimes it is not (I know that some people confuse the two), so...

peTals, not peDals.

Edit: And I find it funny that as soon as I clicked on the link, one of the first sentences is "The name of the game is important." Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
define success in the real world.

Took a few tries but that's only because I read this thread first.

Aha...I tried it for a minute, then got bored and said "screw it." I guess I must be really dumb :oops::(

This stupid game took me HOURS in high school. HOURS of my life.

Took me about 25 rolls, and between 5-10 minutes (closer to 10).

Thank you for making me feel like I accomplished something on an otherwise largely unproductive day. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
i did it in 2 mins, can i put this on my app?

if it was called another name it would actually be difficult.

i got it after 12 rolls. this is a good puzzle hehe. :D

I can't solve this puzzle, I fail at life :(

Just kidding :)

Hey guys, let's compare ourselves to other people and beat ourselves up about it!!!

1 roll
174 - IQ as tested at age 16 by a psychologist
41 - MCAT

Does correlation imply causality?
No.
The name of the game gives it away.

</ego stroking>

EDIT: by the way, its PETALS not pedals, haha, my bad, wasn't paying attention

youve already lost my interest.

haha, people on here are hilarious. Its a game, like I said, MAYBE its correlated to intelligence, but MORE LIKELY it is correlated to the method individuals take to solving a problem, or MOST LIKELY its a dumb game that means nothing.

I would hope that by age 18-25 people could play a simple game without being competitive, and I don't really think anyone here has been competitive honestly? I mean, if I were being competitive I probably would not have divulged how long it took me... haha

lighten up people, have some fun :)

1 roll
174 - IQ as tested at age 16 by a psychologist
41 - MCAT

Does correlation imply causality?
No.
The name of the game gives it away.

</ego stroking>

woow i wish i was really this smart

:]

Funny...I just figured it out by reading the article on that website about Bill Gates trying to do this problem :p

lol it took me a while.......no more puzzles for me...im still comatose from christmas and news year dinner.

i never even solved it, and on top of that I had to resort to looking up the answer on the internet.

Looks like I am doomed for life.

i never even solved it, and on top of that I had to resort to looking up the answer on the internet.

Looks like I am doomed for life.
smart= knowing you don't know, asking someone who does, proving that the answer given is correct.

ugh...too stubborn to let it go and too arogant to look it up. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening :p I certainly hope that the time it takes to solve this isn't directly related to intelligence or MCAT scores because if it is, I think I'm in trouble...

ugh...too stubborn to let it go and too arogant to look it up. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening :p I certainly hope that the time it takes to solve this isn't directly related to intelligence or MCAT scores because if it is, I think I'm in trouble...
Petals around the rose.

This is one annoying test and I don't like the way it is set up. It is flawed because if you think deeply about it, you will actually not get the right answer, at least not fast.

1. The name of the game is specifically stressed. Nevertheless, there is no such thing as a two petal rose or even a four petal rose. If you eliminate n<6, you will get many wrong answers.
  2. The puzzle is too random. It throws completely random algorithms. This means that some of us may get the answer sooner if the right sequence of algorithms is given. There are just too many permutations and to make this puzzle consistent for everyone, it should have given you the option to set up the dice in the desired combination to test each of your guesses in a logical manner.
  3. Memory is a very important part of this game, so if it has been a while since you have done anything that requires a lot of memorization, you're out of luck. I guess writing things down could help. but personally, I really didn't want to spend all the extra time writing down so much information.
Here is a much more consistent riddle:
Let us assume that there are five houses of different colors next to each other on the same road. In each house lives a man of a different nationality. Every man has his favorite drink, his favorite brand of cigarettes, and keeps pets of a particular kind.
  1. The Englishman lives in the red house.
  2. The Swede keeps dogs.
  3. The Dane drinks tea.
  4. The green house is just to the left of the white one.
  5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
  6. The Pall Mall smoker keeps birds.
  7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
  8. The man in the center house drinks milk.
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
  10. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
  11. The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks bier.
  12. The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
  13. The German smokes Prince.
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
  15. The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.
The question to be answered is: Who keeps fish?

Whoa, I was introduced to "Petals around the rose" back in 8th grade.

It took me like 10 seconds to figure out. That's right, 10 seconds. Please marvel at my greatness.

edit: also,
Memory is a very important part of this game, so if it has been a while since you have done anything that requires a lot of memorization, you're out of luck. I guess writing things down could help. but personally, I really didn't want to spend all the extra time writing down so much information.
How is memory involved in this game? Or are you not talking about petals around the rose?

If you get the "puzzle", it'll take you about 5 seconds to get the correct answer each time.

This is one annoying test and I don't like the way it is set up. It is flawed because if you think deeply about it, you will actually not get the right answer, at least not fast.

1. The name of the game is specifically stressed. Nevertheless, there is no such thing as a two petal rose or even a four petal rose. If you eliminate n<6, you will get many wrong answers.
  2. The puzzle is too random. It throws completely random algorithms. This means that some of us may get the answer sooner if the right sequence of algorithms is given. There are just too many permutations and to make this puzzle consistent for everyone, it should have given you the option to set up the dice in the desired combination to test each of your guesses in a logical manner.
  3. Memory is a very important part of this game, so if it has been a while since you have done anything that requires a lot of memorization, you're out of luck. I guess writing things down could help. but personally, I really didn't want to spend all the extra time writing down so much information.
Please...:yawn: Just admit you couldn't get it very fast...it's Ok, we won't think any less of you. (well actually, I will...)

Oh my god, this game is killing me!!! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY

I cheated to look up the answer. The algorithm was disappointingly simple..

Another quick riddle for anyone interested:

John lives on the 3rd floor of a building and also works on the 11th floor of that same building. Yet every day, he takes an umbrella to work. Why?

(Don't give the answer away if you've heard it before please).

Oh my god, this game is killing me!!! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY

Ugh me too!! Good thing I moved back home with my parents after I graduated so I have no life and can sit around on Saturday night trying to figure this out.

I'm trying not to but I think I'm gonna have to cheat soon. I know its "super simple" but I can't stop doing math with different combos even though I know it's not the right way!

John lives on the 3rd floor of a building and also works on the 11th floor of that same building. Yet every day, he takes an umbrella to work. Why?

Does he want to grab Starbucks before work and he lives in Seattle?? :)

hmmm... first try. about 15 seconds. *yawn*

Ugh me too!! Good thing I moved back home with my parents after I graduated so I have no life and can sit around on Saturday night trying to figure this out.

I'm trying not to but I think I'm gonna have to cheat soon. I know its "super simple" but I can't stop doing math with different combos even though I know it's not the right way!

I looked it up. :cool:

I looked it up. :cool:

Me too. WTH, I would not have figured that out. Wikipedia gave two solutions..I might have figured the second one out eventually...maybe :oops:

not quite haha, he doesn't leave the building to go to work.

Is the 11th floor actually the rooftop and he is doing construction work or something? Or...is he just a crazy?

He's too short to reach the elevator button for the 11th floor, so he uses the umbrella to press it. I say the lazy bastard should just walk the 8 flights.