Petition school to change transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manipulator55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a petition to a previous school to make alterations to your transcripts.

I transfered from school A to school B. School B's office of registrar did a very poor job matching my transfer credits to its corresponding class equivalent. That in turn altered my advisors placment of me within certain classes.

Example: I took Gen Bio 1 and 2 at School A, a small minnesota state university and recieved A's in both. School A's name for gen bio 1 is cell biology 110-111L, it has the identical course content of school B's gen bio 1 course. School A's name for gen bio 2 is organismal biology 112-113L its content is identical to school B's gen bio 2. All are 4 credits with a lab course descriptions are identical.

School B has a 365 level Cell and Molecular Biology course and when I transfered in the registrars office placed my Cell Bio 110-111L and its corresponding grade in as Cell Molecular 365, paying no attention to grade level or course descriptions using only the word "Cell" as its basis. Now I have no credit for Gen Bio 1 and 4 credits of A for a class I never took?

School B then counted my organismal bio 112-113L as a general science elective rather than its proper correlation to Gen Bio 2.

To make matters even worse they then enrolled me in their Gen Bio 2 which I identified immediately as organismal biology from my previous institution. Due to complications with financial aid I was forced to not drop the class. If I had I would have been placed on suspension from financial aid for not completing at least 67 percent of my credits that semester. Now I have a C where there should be an A.

Also, school A had a 1 semester pilot class for biostats. Its course description was identical to School B's Math-281 and was taught by the math deparment. The only difference between the 2 is the prefix of BIO and school A's version was worth 4 credits and B's was worth 3. School A no longer has a biostats course and has since replaced it with a similar 3 credit Intro to probability and stats course.

I would like to petition school A to accept my retake of their biostats course with the stats course from the school I graduated from.

I also would like to petition that retake of Gen Bio 2 be dismissed as I would not have allowed them to enroll me in a class I had already gotten an A in, had the proper information been available on my transcripts to my advisor and me. The discrepancies in information are ultimately error on their part and there would not to be any refunds etc. just simply making everything right is enough.

It makes a full tenth of a point difference on both my cumulative and science GPA's.

Does anyone have any experience with this or perhaps taking it as far as court?

PS-AACOMAS will not budge on any of these matters and their derived calculations are stritcly from transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have anything useful to say, but why did you get a C in the class you previously got an A in? Most likely you won't make any headway with this since you did take the full class. I've never heard of anyone getting a grade erased from their transcripts even if it was an error that you were enrolled in the class (but you were still enrolled, and did not drop, thus took the class in its completion).

Best of luck to you.

Depending on where you went from and to, it may be possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
The drop add deadline was passed and had I withdrawn I would have lost my federal funding to pay my tuition.

I don't really have anything useful to say, but why did you get a C in the class you previously got an A in? Most likely you won't make any headway with this since you did take the full class. I've never heard of anyone getting a grade erased from their transcripts even if it was an error that you were enrolled in the class (but you were still enrolled, and did not drop, thus took the class in its completion).

Best of luck to you.

This. Also, how can financial aid force you to take a class? I understand that certain financial aid awards require you to be enrolled in X number of credits, but I've never heard of a financial aid package that specifically required you be in a certain class or group of classes. In other words, why didn't you drop the class and replace it with another class of equal credit value?

The financial aid hinges on completion of a certain percentage of credits for the given semester. The time period to drop and add an equivalent class is 10 days long. I didn't catch the error until 2-3 weeks into the semester as there were minor changes in the syllabus.

Had I withdrawn from the 4 credits of Gen Bio I would have alienated myself with the federal aid people by dropping below 67% completion of credits attempted.

This. Also, how can financial aid force you to take a class? I understand that certain financial aid awards require you to be enrolled in X number of credits, but I've never heard of a financial aid package that specifically required you be in a certain class or group of classes. In other words, why didn't you drop the class and replace it with another class of equal credit value?

The financial aid hinges on completion of a certain percentage of credits for the given semester. The time period to drop and add an equivalent class is 10 days long. I didn't catch the error until 2-3 weeks into the semester as there were minor changes in the syllabus.

Had I withdrawn from the 4 credits of Gen Bio I would have alienated myself with the federal aid people by dropping below 67% completion of credits attempted.

To make matters even worse they then enrolled me in their Gen Bio 2 which I identified immediately as organismal biology from my previous institution. Due to complications with financial aid I was forced to not drop the class. If I had I would have been placed on suspension from financial aid for not completing at least 67 percent of my credits that semester. Now I have a C where there should be an A.

Immediately = 10 days + 2-3 weeks later???

The issue remains that, as far as AACOMAS is concerned, you not only retook a class that you got an A in the first time, but you got a C the second time.

Typically retakes are to increase grades, but some students also retake classes if they took the class several years ago. Neither is true for you in this case. When ADCOMs review your transcript, they will probably notice that you retook the class, only to get a C in it the second time. They will also notice that you got an A in it the first time and wonder why you bothered to retake it. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but their next conclusion will be that you tried to retake a class at a different school (in an attempt to make it seem like an additional, unique, bio class on your transcript) to artificially boost your GPA, but had it backfire.

It's hard to explain a C the first time you take a class, but it's near impossible to explain a C in a retake, especially when you got an A the first time. Obviously your situation is unique, since your new school apparently didn't transfer the credits appropriately. However, if the class was indeed the same, there's no reason to not get an A, and especially no reason to get a C.

Last edited:

In hind sight immediately was not the best choice of words.

But lets be honest, at what point is it the responsability of the school to make the material on which you and your advisor base your academic decisions accurate to a relative degree of certainty. Transcript material is not something I, as a student, had the ability to view and edit, nor should I be expected to identify mistakes made assumedly by professionals.

The office could have opened up School A's website and clicked course desciption and viewed this information for themselves. Is it really a students job to be a system of checks and balances for a 4 year state school?

The issue remains that, as far as AACOMAS is concerned, you not only retook a class that you got an A in the first time, but you got a C the second time.

Typically retakes are to increase grades, but some students also retake classes if they took the class several years ago. Neither is true for you in this case. When ADCOMs review your transcript, they will probably notice that you retook the class, only to get a C in it the second time. They will also notice that you got an A in it the first time and wonder why you bothered to retake it. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but their next conclusion will be that you tried to retake a class at a different school (in an attempt to make it seem like an additional, unique, bio class on your transcript) to artificially boost your GPA, but had it backfire.

It's hard to explain a C the first time you take a class, but it's near impossible to explain a C in a retake, especially when you got an A the first time. Obviously your situation is unique, since your new school apparently didn't transfer the credits appropriately. However, if the class was indeed the same, there's no reason to not get an A, and especially no reason to get a C.

Yes all of that is true with regards to the explanation and assumed perception of an ADCOMs. However, at the end of the day it boils down to who was responsible for what task. Of course there is reason not to get an A the second time. I got an A the first time. I shouldn't for any reason be expected to do a class twice, this isn't HORSE and I am not required to "prove it".

Is there any possibility that your current institution put you in the classes that you call "retakes" because they are aware that the curriculum and/or rigor from the previous institution does not meet their standards?

It would seem that the only reason you would make a C in a course that you previously made an A in is that the curriculum is more rigorous.

One other thing I would caution you on is placing blame. It is one thing to discuss blame and responsibility here on a forum, however if you do get an interview with an ADCOM and begin explaining a situation with "this person did not do their job right, which led to me making a C." it comes off as very unbecoming.

Ultimately, the bottom line is YOU EARNED a C in a course that you took, independent of the reason why you were placed in the course or the fact that you had previously made an A in the course. It would seem one of your only other option would be to retake the course AGAIN and hopefully earn an A so that it will take the place of the C.

It is a crummy situation all around, but one to overcome and learn from nonetheless.

Is there any possibility that your current institution put you in the classes that you call "retakes" because they are aware that the curriculum and/or rigor from the previous institution does not meet their standards?

It would seem that the only reason you would make a C in a course that you previously made an A in is that the curriculum is more rigorous.

One other thing I would caution you on is placing blame. It is one thing to discuss blame and responsibility here on a forum, however if you do get an interview with an ADCOM and begin explaining a situation with "this person did not do their job right, which led to me making a C." it comes off as very unbecoming.

Ultimately, the bottom line is YOU EARNED a C in a course that you took, independent of the reason why you were placed in the course or the fact that you had previously made an A in the course. It would seem one of your only other option would be to retake the course AGAIN and hopefully earn an A so that it will take the place of the C.

It is a crummy situation all around, but one to overcome and learn from nonetheless.
No both schools are 4 year accredited state colleges.

The truth is that once I spotted the mistake and realize they had made a mistake on my transcipt I did C work in the course. My understanding of the parameters of financial aid at the time was far greater than my understanding of the AACOMAS repeat course policy. Due to my history of course withdrawl I didn't want to rock the boat and end up not being able to pay for school the following semester. In fact, when I first transfered the thought I might have an opportunity to attend medical school was not even a blip on my radar.

I certainly don't want to circumvent accountability it is my fault as much as the schools. I also have spent 18 months including 1 grueling summer working to rehab my GPA to something respectable and the thought of something like this devaluing my application is just infuriating. Assuming that I could accept the higher grade was wrong but seriously my advisor would never have placed me in that class had the transcipt been accurate. I see everyones points about the C, however given how hard that I have had to work I think I just am attached to the A's.

Now that you've completed the course, the best thing you could possibly get the school to do is show both an A and a C in that class. There's no way you're getting the C removed and if you can't get the school to show an A and a C (as in, credit you for taking the class twice) you'll have to retake the class again because AACOMAS takes into account the newest grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly don't want to circumvent accountability it is my fault as much as the schools.

As far as adcoms are concerned, this will not be their stance. They will not assign "fault" to your school, only to you. Your grades will only reflect on YOU.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=11954221
I shouldn't for any reason be expected to do a class twice, this isn't HORSE and I am not required to "prove it".

Agreed in part. It's probably not "fair", but if you take the course twice you absolutely are required to "prove it". What you may have ended up proving though through this is that you really didn't learn the material the first time around, or that your first school was easier for whatever reason. Neither are really great conclusions to have drawn about you.

The truth is that once I spotted the mistake and realize they had made a mistake on my transcript I did C work in the course
I assure you that the bigger mistake was doing C work in a class where you already knew the material. ;)

But lets be honest, at what point is it the responsibility of the school to make the material on which you and your advisor base your academic decisions accurate to a relative degree of certainty. Transcript material is not something I, as a student, had the ability to view and edit, nor should I be expected to identify mistakes made assumedly by professionals.

The office could have opened up School A's website and clicked course desciption and viewed this information for themselves. Is it really a students job to be a system of checks and balances for a 4 year state school?

If it's your future and your transcripts, then it is of course YOUR responsibility to take charge of and know how things are being transferred around. In a perfect world School B would have transferred all the credits and given you credit appropriately. As a transfer student myself I feel for you. I went from a public state school to a private school and the reality is I "lost" the majority of my courses which ended up being retaken as well. That's just part of transferring schools.

The same thing happens with grades. Students are expected to be the teacher's "checks and balances", making sure that things are entered correctly. When the teacher makes the mistake, you're the one that needs to catch them. In this case, the school made what you felt was a mistake, so you needed to be the one to catch them on it (and before the add/drop deadline).

My advice is this: Don't listen to your counselors and go ahead and make the decisions for yourself. Be proactive. Find out for yourself if you need to switch classes before the add/drop deadline. Counselors generally do their best IME, but they are very busy and don't have time to scrutinize every individual's transcripts for errors. That will be up to you.

To try and put a positive spin on things, I'd pretend that they aren't identical classes. They're similar, not identical. It's a different class from a different school.When you fill out AACOMAS, don't mark that it's a repeat. That way, you'll still have your C (no way around that now really) but you'll have your original A helping to mitigate its effects which will level you out at a "B" overall in your GPA calculations. Not an A, but definitely better than a C. This is of course assuming you don't want to retake and get an A.

:thumbup: Very much so :thumbup:. Never breathe even a word of blame against your undergrad to any med school adcom or interviewer. They will be left to assume you will have the same attitude toward their school and no school wants that when there are plenty of other students to choose from.

No both schools are 4 year accredited state colleges.

The truth is that once I spotted the mistake and realize they had made a mistake on my transcipt I did C work in the course. My understanding of the parameters of financial aid at the time was far greater than my understanding of the AACOMAS repeat course policy. Due to my history of course withdrawl I didn't want to rock the boat and end up not being able to pay for school the following semester. In fact, when I first transfered the thought I might have an opportunity to attend medical school was not even a blip on my radar.

I certainly don't want to circumvent accountability it is my fault as much as the schools. I also have spent 18 months including 1 grueling summer working to rehab my GPA to something respectable and the thought of something like this devaluing my application is just infuriating. Assuming that I could accept the higher grade was wrong but seriously my advisor would never have placed me in that class had the transcipt been accurate. I see everyones points about the C, however given how hard that I have had to work I think I just am attached to the A's.

It's 100% your fault. Basically there are few different things you should have taken from the fact that they didn't transfer your credit the way you expected.

1. They gave you an A in a higher level class that you didn't even take. You should be grateful for the free A. You earned an A in a 100 level class at your first school, and the new school gave you an A in a 300 level class. Thus, you "earned" an A in a 300 level course by doing 100 level coursework. FREE A.
2. In the process of them giving you that free A, they basically let you retake a 100 level class that you'd already taken without an ADCOM or anyone ever knowing about it. So now that's a total of TWO FREE A's.
3. Your grades are your grades. The C you got is not indicative of anything but the work you put in (or didn't put in) to the class.

It's 100% your fault. Basically there are few different things you should have taken from the fact that they didn't transfer your credit the way you expected.

1. They gave you an A in a higher level class that you didn't even take. You should be grateful for the free A. You earned an A in a 100 level class at your first school, and the new school gave you an A in a 300 level class. Thus, you "earned" an A in a 300 level course by doing 100 level coursework. FREE A.
2. In the process of them giving you that free A, they basically let you retake a 100 level class that you'd already taken without an ADCOM or anyone ever knowing about it. So now that's a total of TWO FREE A's.
3. Your grades are your grades. The C you got is not indicative of anything but the work you put in (or didn't put in) to the class.

I am and have been fully aware of the benefits of allowing this mistake to go unnoticed. MedPr do you not think that all possibilities have been thought of, calculated, then recalculated? I did not bring this situation to the attention of members of this forum in search of the most unethical solution to this matter.

I realize I could go back and more than likely convince school B to give me credit for Organismal gen bio 2 as well as the one I didn't take. What then happens when my original transcript from school A doesn't match the duplicate from school B? If credits that are supposedly transfered in never happen on the original I could be pulled from school year 1-4. Thats wrong. :thumbdown:. We should all come to expect better counsel from a senior member. Given that your previous advice has been solid I shall assume this was a momentary lapse in judgment. No one should rejoice in getting anything for free.

What "should" be taken from this is that what's right is right. If they choose to allow me to only receive credit for only my last repeat then I shall retake the stupid gen bio class for a 3rd time. It is my opinion however, that accountability in this instance, does not fall strictly on the shoulders of the student. Schools should be held accountable for there mistakes, just as students, just as any other human being would be.

I unlike some other contributers to this thread do not consider it a plus that my personal lack of detail orientation combined with an incompetent school has now impeded the progress toward my goal. In an attempt to gain perspective I have seemingly given a false basis for my inquiry.

At the end of the day if you can't feel good about what you've done then why do it?

Stop saying the school is incompetent!

Your academic standing and academic future is your responsibility and your responsibiltiy alone. While counselors are there to provide guidance, the onus is on the student to make sure that everything is transferred efficiently and credit is given where credit is due.

When I transferred and spoke to the conselors at my current university, I had already done my due diligence to look up the common course numbers and looked over my transfer credit report to ensure that everything was to my liking. That is the time to speak up.

Until you wrap your head around the fact that the blame for this situation falls flat into your lap, independent of the school's actions or responsibilities, then I am afraid there is no hope of you finding a satisfactory resolution to this situation.

If you are flippant about you racademic future and try to shift blame now, how will you act when you screw up providing patient care? Will it somehow be the patient's fault because they failed to provide all of the information? Are you still not required to perform your due diligence, regardless of what a patient may or may not tell you in their H&P?

I know they are two different situations, but approaching this problem in the way you are will give you nothing but heartburn, and ultimately you will find yourself ill prepared to answer any questions regarding this situation when you are asked during interviews from perspective schools.

From now on, whenever you discuss this matter with others, whether you are seeking advice or discussing possible solutions with the counselors/faculty at your current college, I suggest you begin with the phrase, "When I transferred, I made a mistake..."

Beginning any discussion on this matter with any other phrase will get you nowhere.

Stop saying the school is incompetent!

I did attempt to make change right away. I met with the office of the registrar twice, the first time over 2 years ago, with two different administrators to show them where they had made there mistakes. My current pending meeting with the dean will be my 3rd attempt to take them by the hand and correct their error. How many times should I be expected to do this? What then is the definition of incompetent?

I did attempt to make change right away. I met with the office of the registrar twice, the first time over 2 years ago, with two different administrators to show them where they had made there mistakes. My current pending meeting with the dean will be my 3rd attempt to take them by the hand and correct their error. How many times should I be expected to do this? What then is the definition of incompetent?

When you say "right away" do you mean immediately, or after 10 days - 2-3 weeks? Before you even started taking classes, you should have made sure that all of your transfer course work was completed correctly. You seem to pass the buck and think that it's the schools job, and not yours. You are the student; I can count on zero hands how many people in the administration at your new school care about you or your grades.

Yes, there is some blame on the school, but it is minimal. They do what they can and its up to you to catch the mistakes. They are human just as you and I are and they do make mistakes. The problem is that you did not do all of this before you received the C in the class. I would have just taken the W, THEN argue with them about getting the grade removed. The fact is that you got a C, and there is no way they are going to erase it off your transcript. If they do, I'd be really surprised.

For the purposes of the AACOMAS, how much of a GPA difference are we talking? 3.5 -> 3.4? If you do well in all your other classes from now on, I doubt it would come up in an interview. If you have to, retake the class.

When you say "right away" do you mean immediately, or after 10 days - 2-3 weeks? Before you even started taking classes, you should have made sure that all of your transfer course work was completed correctly. You seem to pass the buck and think that it's the schools job, and not yours. You are the student; I can count on zero hands how many people in the administration at your new school care about you or your grades.

Yes, there is some blame on the school, but it is minimal. They do what they can and its up to you to catch the mistakes. They are human just as you and I are and they do make mistakes. The problem is that you did not do all of this before you received the C in the class. I would have just taken the W, THEN argue with them about getting the grade removed. The fact is that you got a C, and there is no way they are going to erase it off your transcript. If they do, I'd be really surprised.

For the purposes of the AACOMAS, how much of a GPA difference are we talking? 3.5 -> 3.4? If you do well in all your other classes from now on, I doubt it would come up in an interview. If you have to, retake the class.

Well as of this morning the verdict from the school is that they are willing to represent the C version of the course as a AU-successful audit of Gen Bio 2. Im am relatively unsure of what this means as I can find little information on AACOMAS and auditing courses.

Does anyone know? There are some threads that suggest audits don't count against your GPA but the policies on the application instruction pdf for AACOMAS is unclear unless I missed it.

Well as of this morning the verdict from the school is that they are willing to represent the C version of the course as a AU-successful audit of Gen Bio 2. Im am relatively unsure of what this means as I can find little information on AACOMAS and auditing courses.

Does anyone know? There are some threads that suggest audits don't count against your GPA but the policies on the application instruction pdf for AACOMAS is unclear unless I missed it.

Wow, that sounds great. If it works like I'm thinking it will, then it won't be counted towards your GPA. Congratulations.

What are you going to say when ADCOMs ask you why you audited a class you already took?

The truth

That you weren't attentive enough to know you didn't need to take the class and then proceeded to slack off instead of dropping it? Then afterwards realized you'd somehow gotten a C in a class that you already took (and should have easily done well in from their perspective)? That afterwards you petitioned to get it taken off your record to hide the entire incident (presumably from adcoms, the very people now asking about it)? That you largely blame the "incompetent" school for not having held your hand tightly enough during credit transfers and class registrations? That afterwards your undergrad was unresponsive to several of your attempts to "take them by the hand and correct their error"? That you don't seem to feel responsible in any way for your situation?

Somehow I kinda doubt that this is the truth you'll be sharing... :lol: You'll have to excuse my skepticism.

Congrats on getting your concerns resolved with your administration though. Having it off will help your sci gpa when you apply.

Last edited:
That you weren't attentive enough to know you didn't need to take the class and then proceeded to slack off instead of dropping it? Then afterwards realized you'd somehow gotten a C in a class that you already took (and should have easily done well in from their perspective)? That afterwards you petitioned to get it taken off your record to hide the entire incident (presumably from adcoms, the very people now asking about it)? That you largely blame the "incompetent" school for not having held your hand tightly enough during credit transfers and class registrations? That afterwards your undergrad was unresponsive to several of your attempts to "take them by the hand and correct their error"? That you don't seem to feel responsible in any way for your situation?

Somehow I kinda doubt that this is the truth you'll be sharing... :lol: You'll have to excuse my skepticism.

Congrats on getting your concerns resolved with your administration though. Having it off will help your sci gpa when you apply.

The problem with the skeptical opinions voiced thus far is they really don't hold water any more. If the college didn't feel partially responsible for the situation as it stands, it likelly would not have made any move to make the change. The opinion that blame falls striclty on the shoulders of the student is no longer relevant.

Students audit previously taken courses all the time for many reasons. It is not unheard of to audit a course after having already done well, there are multiple threads on this forum that outline several unique situations in which this is true. Students having audits on their transcipt don't make any mention of it being a problem moving forward with the application process.

The problem with the skeptical opinions voiced thus far is they really don't hold water any more. If the college didn't feel partially responsible for the situation as it stands, it likelly would not have made any move to make the change.

Or perhaps it's just that the squeaky wheel gets the grease? ;)

Or perhaps it's just that the squeaky wheel gets the grease? ;)

Maybe that's how they feel im not sure. Doesn't really matter. I'll let my standardized test score shall determine if im a "squeaky wheel".

Just say you audited to help you remember/prepare for the MCAT.

/thread