Petitioning for In-State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopefulUGACVM

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have lived in GA for a little over 7 years now (moved from NJ in 1998), graduated from HS in GA and attend a GA college that is in the university system (and paid in state tuition). I have also had all of my college education paid for by a state funded scholarship program (only GA residents can receive it). But I still have to petition for in-state tuition/applicant status. Is this common for schools to have you do this if you were not born in the state you are currently a resident in?
 
HopefulUGACVM said:
I have lived in GA for a little over 7 years now (moved from NJ in 1998), graduated from HS in GA and attend a GA college that is in the university system (and paid in state tuition). I have also had all of my college education paid for by a state funded scholarship program (only GA residents can receive it). But I still have to petition for in-state tuition/applicant status. Is this common for schools to have you do this if you were not born in the state you are currently a resident in?

Nope, that's ridiculous. Since you graduated from high school there and have lived there for more than a year without the primary intention of being a college or graduate school student, you should be a resident. basically, most states only block the people who move to a state just to go to college there.
 
HopefulUGACVM said:
Is this common for schools to have you do this if you were not born in the state you are currently a resident in?


I've been an Ohio resident for years, and an Ohio State University employee for two and a half (clinical sciences, not student employment)...they still consider me a non-resident, even though THEY pay my tuition. I just sit back and laugh when I get my statements now since I'm not the one paying that non-resident fee 🙂 The last time I applied for reclassification, I had sold a horse and had a several thousand dollar increase in my savings. They wanted me to prove where the money came from so I submitted copies of the bill of sale and transfer from when I bought the horse and when I sold it. They still didn't accept it and said that someone must be paying for me to live in the state since the horse was purchased by a farm in Minnesota. Eh. Whatever. Seems that they can make whatever judgement they wish, unfortunately.