pets in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppfizenm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cat which excludes me from dorm housing at most schools that offer it. Thoughts on whether it is fair to keep a pet when you will be busy very often?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a cat which excludes me from dorm housing at most schools that offer it. Thoughts on whether it is fair to keep a pet when you will be busy very often?

Depends what breed of cat it is and how independent the cat is.

For most pets I would say no, but cats are more like lazy roomates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cats, imo, are the type of pet you can leave alone for awhile and they'd be happy--especially if it's an older car. It's not like you just bought a puppy that needs constant attention. If you left it lots of toys, and food/water and showed it some attention each day, I don't see why you shouldn't keep it.

Now if it was a dog, or young kitten, or some type of animal that needs a lot of attention then no, I don't think it'd be a good idea.

I have 3 dogs, a dalmatian, a boxer, and an aussie shepherd. All are 70+ pounds. They do quite well. Granted I do own a home and have a fenced yard...but you will be fine with a cat in med school.

Most pets are pretty easy to keep in med school, it's really just dogs that are difficult (but many med student who live with their SO or roommates still have them).

Thanks all. Just wasn't whether sure leaving him alone all the time would be fair to him. May end up getting another one so he has company.

Thanks all. Just wasn't whether sure leaving him alone all the time would be fair to him. May end up getting another one so he has company.

If it makes you feel better about it, almost all the vet students I know have pets and our schedules are similarly crazy to yours. It works out fine really. I think getting another cat is a good idea (provided your cat likes other cats!)... and in all honesty your cat would much rather live with a busier version of you than have to adjust to a new home or sit in a cage at a shelter.

Definitely invest in some extra-fun toys like the one with the ball in a circular track and the ones that your cat rolls the toy around to get food to fall out while you guys are making the transition to med school :)

If it makes you feel better about it, almost all the vet students I know have pets and our schedules are similarly crazy to yours. It works out fine really. I think getting another cat is a good idea (provided your cat likes other cats!)... and in all honesty your cat would much rather live with a busier version of you than have to adjust to a new home or sit in a cage at a shelter.

Definitely invest in some extra-fun toys like the one with the ball in a circular track and the ones that your cat rolls the toy around to get food to fall out while you guys are making the transition to med school :)

Id never get rid of him. If anything id leave him with y family at home where I live now.

I would love to get a low-maintenance pet like a tarantula or a lizard.

I want to get a basset hound. Probably not a good idea.

If you were to get a dog a basset hound would probably be a good choice seeing as they don't need as much exercise as say.. a lab or german shepherd.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to get a dog a basset hound would probably be a good choice seeing as they don't need as much exercise as say.. a lab or german shepherd.

Exactly.

Plus...

Basset_Houng_Puppy.jpg

can you get any more adorable?

Wonder if I should keep my three kids and two dogs? ;)

6700_1139096950218_1011237873_30431264_5624809_n-1.jpg

My dog definitely wins for cuteness though.

If you live by yourself please do not get a dog, any dog, not even lap dogs, during med school. The pet will be very unhappy. Dogs are social animals, they need constant meaningful interaction with people. Cats are much more doable, you can even pick up an automatic feeder if you are away overnight.

If you live by yourself please do not get a dog, any dog, not even lap dogs, during med school. The pet will be very unhappy. Dogs are social animals, they need constant meaningful interaction with people. Cats are much more doable, you can even pick up an automatic feeder if you are away overnight.

I get not getting a new dog while you're in med school, but what about if you already have one? I've had my dog since I was 14, I think he'd be more stressed living with my parents than adjusting to my schedule since he has a pretty strong attachment to me.

I'm married, so the need for my immediate presence will be mitigated somewhat. Furthermore, I've been told that when I start next fall I need to replace myself with a dog.

I get not getting a new dog while you're in med school, but what about if you already have one? I've had my dog since I was 14, I think he'd be more stressed living with my parents than adjusting to my schedule since he has a pretty strong attachment to me.

1st and 2nd year will be ok, might need to hire somebody to walk the dog during the day. During 3rd year you might need to give him back to your parents. Once you are done with interviews, 4th year will be fine to have him with you.

1st and 2nd year will be ok, might need to hire somebody to walk the dog during the day. During 3rd year you might need to give him back to your parents. Once you are done with interviews, 4th year will be fine to have him with you.

Okay, thanks.

I got a dog my senior year of college and I brought her to med school. She has really kept me company. We run every day and go to the dog park 2-3 times per week. I may leave her with my parents during some rotations/residency interviews unless my boyfriend and I live together at that point.

This is her at 3 months old... adorable...
n9629117_40173087_2654865.jpg

animal-fun-cute-pug-02.jpg

YES YOU CAN!

Do you have a pug? I will be taking mine to med school, and i am a little worried, but hopefully, I can find creative solutions. My pug is pretty lazy 90 % of the time.
3rd year worries me the most, any input from current 3rd or 4th year med students with a dog?

I got a dog my senior year of college and I brought her to med school. She has really kept me company. We run every day and go to the dog park 2-3 times per week. I may leave her with my parents during some rotations/residency interviews unless my boyfriend and I live together at that point.

This is her at 3 months old... adorable...
n9629117_40173087_2654865.jpg

She's adorable! Is she an Australian Shepherd?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4[/YOUTUBE]

Sam's pretty dang adorable. I don't have any baby pictures of my cats on the computer, but here are my shiny, fabulous felines as very well-fed adults.

MewandMinnie.jpg

Also, I love how this thread has turned into pictures of people's pets. Fantastic!

Pets are great... cats don't tend to be as annoying as dogs, though. If they get angry, they certainly make less noise :p

I have a 4 month old kitty I raised from birth, given to me by some Mexican dude. It was riddled with fleas :(

I named it Meep Meep :)

300912_10100489293199334_3318147_56913195_837316103_n.jpg

He likes biting fingers and attacking your feet.