PGY-2/CA-1 to start 06?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khybs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys know of any programs ready to accept PGY-2 (CA-1) in 06'?

Members don't see this ad.

khybs said:
You guys know of any programs ready to accept PGY-2 (CA-1) in 06'?

Many of those positions are long gone. Your best bet is to contact programs on your own and ask if they have a spot or if one might come up in the future. Literally creating an e-mail list for those contacts would be a good idea.

UTSouthwestern said:
Many of those positions are long gone. Your best bet is to contact programs on your own and ask if they have a spot or if one might come up in the future. Literally creating an e-mail list for those contacts would be a good idea.[/QUOTE

I did exactly this last dec/jan and found many programs outside of the match/eras. It worked out well for me.

I did run across a few programs that stated they had a position but wouldnt consider filling it until this fall so for those you may still have time to apply.

Dartmouth
VCU
USF
Thomas Jeffereson
UVA

Each of these programs told me back in the spring that they would interview me in fall. They may still have not made a decision but its probably a long shot.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of these spots aren't really advertised, but they do exist. I'd suggest sending a CV and cover letter explaining what you're looking for to every program except those where you would rather wait out a year than go there in 06. You can get all the addresses from FREIDA on line, and create a form letter in Word that will do it all for you. I've known people who have done this and got spots. I also know someone who did it for another specialty and got calls and letters a year later (actually about 1 month into PGY-2) about a spot that had suddenly opened up.

FREIDA says there are 129 anesthesia programs. Let's say postage, envelope, and paper costs $0.50 per program. That's $65 and a few hours of your time to cover them all. That's a small price to pay if you end up getting a spot--especially if you avoid having to go through the match, excess interviews, etc.

It's not too late, but you should start now if you're going to do it.

bubalus said:
Many of these spots aren't really advertised, but they do exist. I'd suggest sending a CV and cover letter explaining what you're looking for to every program except those where you would rather wait out a year than go there in 06. You can get all the addresses from FREIDA on line, and create a form letter in Word that will do it all for you. I've known people who have done this and got spots. I also know someone who did it for another specialty and got calls and letters a year later (actually about 1 month into PGY-2) about a spot that had suddenly opened up.

FREIDA says there are 129 anesthesia programs. Let's say postage, envelope, and paper costs $0.50 per program. That's $65 and a few hours of your time to cover them all. That's a small price to pay if you end up getting a spot--especially if you avoid having to go through the match, excess interviews, etc.

It's not too late, but you should start now if you're going to do it.

You could e-mail all of that stuff as well and save both time and money.