PGY-4 considering leaving cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@@@

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a brand new cardiology fellow who is seriously considering leaving my program and would like advice on my options. I apologize for the long post, but I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Background:
I am a US-IMG who is fresh out of residency. I have just begun fellowship at a fairly new community program which has not graduated any fellows yet. This program's faculty come from a few of the many private practice groups at my hospital and who are mostly interventional cardiologists.

Shortly upon arriving and speaking to some of the fellows, a few of them were without prompting very upfront about how poor they considered the training here. They said there is no structure and little guidance from the attendings. They are essentially left to do everything alone and are fudging the numbers of echos, stress test and caths they are performing and reading. There is effectively no proper 1:1 teaching with attendings on imaging studies, yet the fellows will report as though they have read several hundreds of echos. They said the attendings are often so busy with their procedures and clinic that they rarely do proper rounds, instead relying on the fellows to manage everything with variable oversight. There is no CCU rotation, and those type of patients are seen on consult service and we are rarely primary.

Additionally, the dissatisfied fellows tried to change things, and were promised changes, but nothing has materialized. They were not allowed to speak to the applicants during my cycle. During my interview, this was the case and I did not get a chance to speak to any fellow privately. Reportedly one of the fellows was told by a non-faculty attending that if he were in the fellow's situation, he would quit the program as the training is poor. This attending has tried to join the faculty to improve things, but has been rebuffed.

Apparently, several months before I began, the ACGME did their site visit and after meeting with fellows was appalled at the situation. A final evaluation is pending, but seems will come out in August and September.

My experience so far seems to corroborate the complete lack of structure. I hesitate to go into more detail here as it may be identifying but can do so if it would be helpful.

I seriously questioned ranking this program but ranked them last as I didn't have many interviews. I was wary of this program going in but tried to stay positive in the months leading in. However, these revelations from the other fellows are frightening and have sent me reevaluating my future.

Main concern:
I am terrified that 1) my training will be dangerously insufficient in its current form with little likelihood for meaningful improvement and 2) that there is a real chance my program may get shut down before I can finish, and 3) my job opportunities will not be great as a general cardiologist.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally if you like cardiology enough I would stick it out. You just started fellowship, lots of your co-fellows are likely burn out and people like to complain ( I know I do, it’s pretty therapeutic). If your program is shutdown they most likely will find you another spot somewhere else (which is likely a better place). I am on my final year and share a lot of your concerns during my training. Ultimately, I think this experiences is common across many fellowships. Cardiology fellowship is terrible in general and many people think the grass is greener at other programs. A lot of your learning will be dependent on self learning and improvement. No one will be able to reach you everything, and the learning will not stop after fellowship. As long as your are board eligible/certified and has a lisence I don’t think it will be an issue with getting job for private practice

Reactions: 2 users
Personally if you like cardiology enough I would stick it out. You just started fellowship, lots of your co-fellows are likely burn out and people like to complain ( I know I do, it’s pretty therapeutic). If your program is shutdown they most likely will find you another spot somewhere else (which is likely a better place). I am on my final year and share a lot of your concerns during my training. Ultimately, I think this experiences is common across many fellowships. Cardiology fellowship is terrible in general and many people think the grass is greener at other programs. A lot of your learning will be dependent on self learning and improvement. No one will be able to reach you everything, and the learning will not stop after fellowship. As long as your are board eligible/certified and has a lisence I don’t think it will be an issue with getting job for private practice

Thanks for your response, it's a little reassuring to know I'm not alone in dealing with this kind of thing. You may be right that the co-fellows may be burnt out. I just want to be a good cardiologist and do right by my patients, and not just graduate with a glorified certificate. How did you approach trying to make up for your program's shortcomings? And have your program's graduates been able to find jobs where they wanted?

Members don't see this ad :)
For patient management and noninvasive studies, you can learn from reading and generally just doing your job. Don’t expect handholding like IM. Most cardiology people are busy and have different mentality compared to IM. They are not as risk aversive so it’ll seem like you are not supervised. In some private practices, your current job is done by NP/PA who have less training. Just remember to ask for help. And if you want feedback or teaching you need to seek them out deliberately.
The only thing you cannot learn by yourself imo is procedural skill. So it would be unfortunate if you want IC, and they can’t teach you how to cath after 3 yr, which is extremely unlikely. Even if that is the case you can learn to cath in your IC fellowship (I’ve heard case of noninvasive cardiologists who have not cath for 5 years , basically lost all their cath skill, go to IC and do just fine). Just know there is no perfect programs maybe beside maybe the Mayo and Cleveland clinic. There are also tons of workshop/conferences that people go to learn new procedures that I’m sure your local device rep will be happy to send you to.
You just started and probably are unhappy about matching last. I’d suggest keeping an open mind and learn as much as possible, both from attending and co-fellow. Try to find someone that you connect with that will help you. Quitting now mean you are less likely to ever be a cardiologist. Also you can try to make your program better ; the leadership obviously does not want their program to fail and produce poor graduates. There are probably political issues in which you are not aware of.
Again, I don’t think getting a private practice job is difficult for any board eligible graduates (job market is great if you are reasonable with your search), unless you have other issues such as visa, misdemeanor, failing board.

IMHO, the best teacher isn't any attending or any fellowship, its the patient.

Reactions: 3 users
1. You’ll be fine. Our last cardiologist was replaced by two NPs who got online degrees and have never worked in a clinic. You can’t be worse than them. You’ll figure out what you need to know and if anything a feeling of inadequacy will probably drive you to learn more than many other fellows .
2. That would be a bummer. Assume ACGME will do threats to start with?? Or theyll help with current fellows find new homes. Remember in medicine bad stuff doesn’t happen as often as we think.. inefficiencies can be to our advantage.
3. If you can speak English you can find a job as a general cardiologist. It’s a great job market.

Reactions: 1 user
You matched at the last place. If you withdraw no guarantee that you will match next time.

Maybe you can be the positive energy that can serve as a catalyst to bring changes to the program. Fellows think that complaining to acgme improves the program. Nothing positive comes out of it. When the program is on probation the fellow is also stressed.

Also not being primary is not a rare finding. Actually I think in real life at a lot of hospitals cardiologists play a consultative role. So that should not be a knock on the program. A lot of cardiology fellowship out there including university hospitals that cardiology is a consultant in the cicu.

Definitely sounds like the program needs to improve. But fellows can do something collectively. Structure didactics times , talk to attendings about giving some lectures, watch Mayo lectures collectively , invite alumni and outside speakers. Etc.

Give the program a chance. The fellows who are complaining are still there …

Reactions: 1 user
I strongly advise you if you are not depressed or actively trying to hurt yourself that you take some time to re-evaluate your feelings. You have been given a ticket that thousands of other people would kill to have. After your three years at your program, you will be able to take the cardiology boards. If you study hard, do ACCSAP, CATHSAP, EPSAP, etc etc read the books, get a good EKG book, start reading an echo textbook such as Otto or Feigenbaum, skip the phsyics sections at first because it will bog you down and deflate you. Go back to physics once in a while because it is important for the echo boards, especially if you are pursuing general.

All this is a long way to say that you can make it as a general cardiologist. Trust me, I am at a university program and there are bad things about all programs. Someone else said that cardiologists practice different and aren't as risk averse, and they are 100% right.

These people are themselves burning the midnight oil. Many of my attending physicians work harder than most fellows. These kind of people, you really have to just read the imaging alone (which you SHOULD BE DOING anyway) and then having them go over your reads. Just find them somewhere and don't give them a choice. "Hello, you are the attending on echo today, I have 12 TTE reads pended, when can we go over them?".

Anyway stick it out if you like cardiology. You will come to see that mostly you have to teach yourself and when you're wrong, then attending will definitely let you know. Hopefully with these tips you can get a little more learning from your attending, but really, you must be proactive. I know some fellows who don't care to read with attending, and just go over the final read once it has been cosigned. These people are not stupid either, they know what they are doing. Everyone has a different style. Find yours.

Reactions: 1 users
I completely understand and can relate to what you are going through.

Cardiology has always been my passion and I had be a cardiologist in my country before I came to the US. I did not join a premium program. The quality of teaching was really not great. There were times that I felt like quitting.

I persevered and graduated. Throughout the years, through self studying and board preparation, I was able to make up for the education that I should have received.

I encourage you to remain in your program. There is always a person in everyplace, who can be your mentor. This could be a senior fellow or that one attending that can give you advice.

The fact that you are dissatisfied, speaks about your motivation to be a good cardiologist.

I wish you the best of luck