PGY1 after being out of school for several years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommypharmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has applied/ completed a residency after being a pharmacist for many years?

Members don't see this ad.

We've interviewed them and even matched one.

Show you did something in your time off besides just work and hate it. Get involved with your local SHP chapter. At the very least be a member and do some networking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it is too late for this cycle, and the applications are already due, but is it possible to contact the residency directors and ask if there's anyway one can apply for this cycle still..such as sending in resumes/recommendations..etc via email?

I know it is too late for this cycle, and the applications are already due, but is it possible to contact the residency directors and ask if there's anyway one can apply for this cycle still..such as sending in resumes/recommendations..etc via email?

There are a decent number of non-accredited/new? residency programs recruiting applicants outside of the match, probably more so for residencies with some component of ambulatory care versus an acute care setting. Unless you want to complete an ASHP-approved residency, that should not be an issue.

I would recommend joining in on Phase II of the Match. Get into PhORCAS and start getting your letters of rec and transcripts finalized asap so you're ready to go once phase II opens up. Start preparing for behavioral interviews now.

Reactions: 1 user
We've had a few in the past. Most make decent residents because they have some real life work experience and are more mature.

Our top pick is a foreign pharmacist who is finishing up a traditional PharmD. There were several practicing pharmacists we ranked fairly high.

This is the boat that I am currently in. I graduated in 2014 and applied to highly competitive acute care programs nationwide and did not match. My first job was for Walgreens, then I took an ambulatory care position at what was basically a retail pharmacy within an academic medical center, then transitioned to the discharge pharmacy at the same hospital then transitioned to acute care on 3rd shift at the same hospital. I just reapplied to a lot of the same programs that didn't offer me an interview as a P4 and received interview invitations. We will find out in a matter of hours what the final result will be.:scared:

Feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to share more details about my transition and tips that may be helpful if you find yourself in this boat.

Reactions: 1 user