PGY1 switching to EM. possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted746658

hi all. PGY1 prelim med intern. matched radiology. rotated on ED and really liked it. variety of pathology, pace, flexibility of schedule, length of residency, among others. i almost applied EM as MS4. now i really regret not.

is it possible to switch? i'd obviously have to re-enter match. doubt i could find open PGY1**? obviously wouldn't have any SLOEs

FWIW: honored EM rotation in med school. step1 265. step 2 275. step 3 256. solid CV but nothing EM-related.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend re-entered the match last year after an IM year and got into EM at a good program.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is going to take you into a EM PGY2 spot after an IM prelim year. Do you think you should be able to to match into PGY2 neurosurg too?

In many programs, the EM pgy2 is expected to be moving large amounts of meat through the department, and lots of critical patients. You think IM prelim year prepares you for that?

I would give radiology a shot. There's a reason you were drawn to the field. You should give it a go before throwing 2 post med school years away.
hi all. PGY1 prelim med intern. matched radiology. rotated on ED and really liked it. variety of pathology, pace, flexibility of schedule, length of residency, among others. i almost applied EM as MS4. now i really regret not.

is it possible to switch? i'd obviously have to re-enter match. doubt i could find open PGY2? obviously wouldn't have any SLOEs

FWIW: honored EM rotation in med school. step1 265. step 2 275. step 3 256. solid CV but nothing EM-related.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Missed the PGY-2 part. You would have to start as a PGY-1. You *may* *may* (I cannot emphasize that enough) get some credit for certain months during your PGY-1 year (to either shorten your training a few months or more likely to allow you more electives), but it's very doubtful.

EM is dead. Stick to rads. Do an IR fellowship.

Reactions: 5 users
meant to say open pgy1** position. my mistake.

i find the negativity in this thread laughable. i have friends signing EM contracts for 350-400k for 3 shifts/ wk and "the field is dead."

Man every field has their issues. But truth be told, most docs on here are making 3-400K working less than 35 hrs a wk.

There are not many fields with that income.

I can list a fields I may pick over EM today and I could count that one one hand.

Ask your surgeon buddies or IM buddies. They all hate their jobs. Ask your OB buddies who looks haggard after an 8 hr clinic and rushing to deliver a baby before taking night call.

Alot of EM stuff sucks. We are losing control of our field. But there is still alot of meat left on the bone.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, as an intern, you have perspective beyond all of the attendings (not an appeal to authority - just a LOT more experience).

enlighten me

bc as far as i see, EM is boomin'. that kinda dough/ hr is unheard of in medicine. and, hell, even if the salaries were reduced 30-40% that is still a pretty darn good deal for the hours worked

enlighten me

bc as far as i see, EM is boomin'. that kinda dough/ hr is unheard of in medicine. and, hell, even if the salaries were reduced 30-40% that is still a pretty darn good deal for the hours worked

Suspect his point is that finding the negativity "laughable" is itself laughable when everyone in this thread is years down the road from where you are. I'd also be furious if my salary were cut 40% because the nature of the "hours worked" and how uniquely stressful and tiring they are is remarkably underestimated by those who haven't done said hours as an attending. Actually, cutting my salary 40% would absolutely, unequivocally, not be a good deal for the nature of my work where I am.

All specialties work hard in their own way. That includes ours.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not nearly as negative myself about my own specialty as several of the consistently naysaying posters are -- but EM is far from sunshine and rainbows.

Reactions: 1 user
enlighten me

The "booming" EM numbers are either in undesirable locations (geographically or the hospital just sucks that badly) or unicorn jobs. These unicorns require either luck or having a strong insider connection. Yes the national average of about $220/hour still sounds great, but consider you will be working your fair share of evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays for your entire career. I don't think students consider how disruptive to a normal life it is to work these undesirable times and be off of a normal societal schedule. When you're a student you most likely don't have a house, wife, kids, etc. and so it's difficult to project what you want for your life down the road with so many unknowns. For example, in order for me to get the Thanksgiving holiday and another weekend off for my wife's birthday I had to work 9 out of 10 days to make the rest of my schedule work. Soon $220/hour does not seem as rosy when you could be an attending diagnostic or interventional radiologist working banker's hours with the occasional call (maybe none depending on your work setting) while making more than what EM makes. Holidays and weekends are built into your schedule in many other specialties. In EM there is no option to work banker's hours unless you take a massive pay cut by working urgent care or string together multiple per diem jobs (but then your hours are not guaranteed). There's a reason why EM is not part of the classic ROAD specialties and Radiology is.

I think people in EM can be happy if they fall in one of a few categories: you enjoy the single/bachelor life where you can stack together shifts and take a 2 week vacation whenever you want, really legitimate adrenaline junkies/ADHD types (you know who this person is if you hang around EM folks long enough), or you feel a sense of calling to helping the underserved (I don't think there's any other specialty which gets you as close to achieving this "goal"). You can also be happy with this job if you accept you will likely be working for a corporation and adopt the "clock in, clock out, I make a pretty good living for what I do" mentality.

Since we are a 24/7/365 specialty, there are that many more variables to tweak to make our lives more miserable than other jobs in medicine. And believe me, unless you are in control of your working environment (very rare in EM), you can bet your schedule will not be what you thought it was when you dreamed of the "EM lifestyle", your practice setting will not be maximized for your satisfaction and instead maximized for profit that is not yours, and your pay will be less than it should be for the work and lifestyle (or lack thereof) you have.

Last edited:
And all this is "now". You've had your jobs. Have you been ACTUALLY looking? What about 2-5 years from now when all these new EM grads actually enter the market? By the time OP gets to the field "220"/hr will be a unicorn wage

Reactions: 2 users
One other thing to consider that has not been touched on. OP, you will be reapplying as a pgy2 and restarting EM hypothetically as a pgy3. You will then finish your EM training as a pgy5. Choosing this path is still longer than the normal rads path.

One other thing to consider that has not been touched on. OP, you will be reapplying as a pgy2 and restarting EM hypothetically as a pgy3. You will then finish your EM training as a pgy5. Choosing this path is still longer than the normal rads path.

nah. radiology is 6 years. 1+4+1 = 6.

One of my friends Re-entered the match after a year of IM, they had their program directors support which made things much easier as it allowed for interview scheduling and facilitated getting letters of rec. As long as you have the support of your residency leadership I imagine that it is possible.

I try to stay off sdn due to the negativity, and that topics/threads usually dissolve away from the question into negativity.

With that said, there are some programs that save some dates/spots at the end for people that are last minute switches. When you look at the history of EM, and how many people came to EM from other fields, and how many schools don't have EM required (or the first exposure is very late), it makes sense to some people to keep some dates open in February. I know plenty of great EM docs that started off as something else from neuro to peds, with my first chair having done a full IM residency.

I saved about 20-30 spots for possibly interviewing late switches, last minute exposure to EM but loved it, etc... Some EM programs don't take people who have some prior training (plenty of good reasons why they may not), and others are able to / don't see it as a downfall. Lots of variety in the way people run their programs, none of them are wrong, just different personalities and beliefs.

So with that said, to answer the question, you can reach out to PDs, see how no SLOE would be interpreted, as prelim med you would likely rotate in the ED, so you can also try and get a non-standard SLOE from an EM physician you've interacted with or rotated with. You can always reach out to your EM rotation from med school and ask them if they recall you as well for a non-traditional SLOE.

As a final note, the flexibility of a schedule isn't always as flexible as people think outside EM. Residents and attendings groan about working holidays, or only having 2 or possibly 3 days grouped together as an 'off' holiday and not being able to fly home and back with significant time. Even though EM may be less shifts than an IM may work, usually you'll have to go into the hospital on a few days a month that may have been off due to conference once a week (unless it happens to be right before your shift) if your in residency or academics. I'm not saying its a bad thing, and I'd still choose it over, just things that aren't always obvious to people outside EM.

Good luck

I wouldn’t count on “programs saving spots for last minute change of heart applications”. Why should they give a hoot you were unprepared? Sorry. #Nofiltersaturday