PGY2 spot competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know how difficult it is to get into a PGY2 spot? I'm in IM now and have applied into a variety of programs as both a PGY1 and PGY2. I have heard that a lot of the PGY2 spots go unfilled is that true? So would it be easier to get a PGY2 spot? Thanks.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

hi magree,

its really hard to say b/c ot varies from year to year and there are always people who switch specialties
however, most amgs who want to do psych do so right from pgy1 so yes, it would in general be easier to get a pgy2 spot--especially at places that have a lot of them (yale and univ of wash, plus i think pittsbirgh will have some openings this year--insider info)
but if you apply during a weird year where a lot of people are switching say out of surgery, then i guess not
the academic programs are really competitive, but if you dont particularly care about a research/academic year, there are lots of spots out there at good, solid programs, many of which are university affiliated

Hi Anaismd:

Thanks so much for the info. I was hoping to stay on the west coast - so that makes it more difficult. I'll see about U of Wash - had heard rumours that they often take PGY2. Some programs seem to have cut back those spots - which is sad since there is such a need for psychiatrists right now. If you (or anyone else) hears of a possible opening please let me know. Thanks again.

M-

Members don't see this ad :)
have you checked out open slots listed on the apa website?
also, there might be an opening at the u arizona program so call them if thats somewhere you might want to be

Hi:

I have checked the apa site but I'll look again. Seemed to be mostly fellowship openings and east coast. I'm just about to send off my stuff to Tucson and your "tip" will get me moving! Let me know if you hear of any. Thanks again for all your help.

M-