confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
It mirrors life, remember when someone with a HS diploma could get a job and live a modest life? Yeah, me either.

Like how entry level $15/hr jobs posted online require a BS/BA with 2-3 years experience.

Pharmacy isn’t different.

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Except you need to know more in retail pharmacy. Clinical consists of pulling algos and dosing up on your phone. And what loser is going 7 years for a pharmacy degree when they can get a PA degree faster and do 50x more with it than a 7 year pharm degree?
you could say the same about people doing 6 + 2 PGY + 2 FELLOWSHIP in pharmacy right now. Wouldn't they be able to do 'more' as a PA?

Reactions: owlegrad

Twentytwelve2

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
In the past, a bachelor's degree was considered a good degree. Now, it is considered a stepping stone to a higher degree.
The trend is happening in this country. Higher, higher, degrees. More "training" and "education" and more debt.
We are going to put our nation into bigger student debt because of this non-sense.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
you could say the same about people doing 6 + 2 PGY + 2 FELLOWSHIP in pharmacy right now. Wouldn't they be able to do 'more' as a PA?
Do people do 2 PGY and then 2 fellowship? I am no expert but I thought fellowships we’re done instead of residencies.

Reactions: WorthlessOxygen
Jan 9, 2019
Do people do 2 PGY and then 2 fellowship? I am no expert but I thought fellowships we’re done instead of residencies.
I know several people who have done fellowships after residencies. I think most of these types of fellowships are academic by nature (affiliated/sponsored by a school of pharmacy or hospital) rather than being sponsored by a drug company so they include much more teaching than what you might get from a more “traditional” fellowship in something like med info, regulatory affairs etc.

Reactions: owlegrad

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
At a major hospital I was at they had PGY1 then PGY2 and then some of those pharmDs went into Fellowship1 and Fellowship2. However sometimes the people going into the fellowship had no PGYs at all.

Apr 18, 2018
Status
Pharmacist
Academia is slitting their own throats. They are going to kill the pharmacy profession and with it their own cushy jobs. They are making Pharmacy such a poor return on investment that even an idiot (read as "passionate new grad") can see that it isn't worth the time or the effort anymore. Much better jobs can be had with way less effort...

• Love
Reactions: Modest_anteater

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
But from an employer perspective it’s great, we get more competitive/better trained applicants for jobs at the same cost as before.

The best applicants still field multiple offers, but we’re able to reject poor applicants more confidently up front and not have to worry about the position going unfilled.