ph question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theedaddy77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have 4m 40ml of Nitic acid and 2m 40ml of NaOH what is ph of final solution??????/
i know this sounds basic but if someone can explain how they got to there answer that would be amazing!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have 4m 40ml of Nitic acid and 2m 40ml of NaOH what is ph of final solution??????/
i know this sounds basic but if someone can explain how they got to there answer that would be amazing!!

are you talking about molality (m) or molarity (M)?

It will take 20 ml of 4 m nitric acid to neutralize 40ml of 2m NaOH, leaving 20ml of 4 m acid. Since the final volume will be 80 ml, then

m1v1= m2v2
4x20= m2x80
m2= 1
A 1 molar nitric will have a pH of zero.

wow doc you just used plain old logic for that one i love it...faster and simpler than just plugging in numbers and doing a crap load of math, very nice

Members don't see this ad :)
hey doc u did the last step by saying 1 M of a strong acid is 1M of H+ and -log 1 is 0?