This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdnbm4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here's my background: I graduated with a Pharm.D., received 1 year of post-grad training (PGY1), and have been working as a clinical pharmacist for about 1.5 years. I'm seriously considering applying for medical school and have been studying for the MCAT in preparation to apply this year. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.9, have done various research projects, been involved in many volunteer activities. My question is strictly concerning medical school pre-requisites.

Having had a pharmacy background, I assume I have completed many pre-requisites for medical school but that has been many years ago (started undergrad in 2006, got into pharmacy school in 2008, graduated in 2013). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that he/she can share with me about transitioning to medical school? Will this be a smooth transition as far as classes go, or will I have to retake certain classes if a number of years have passed?

Please share! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools place limits on how old your coursework can be while do not seem to care how old pre-reqs are. Your best bet is to get a copy of the MSAR and look up specific schools that you are interested in. Given that you finished undergrad a while ago, you may want to take some additional upper level biology classes to refresh the material and to show that you are still capable of high academic achievement. Depending on what you need to complete, 2 to 4 semesters of part time coursework would probably be sufficient. This would also help you prep for the MCAT which is going to be a big part of your application. You don't want to tarnish that fantastic GPA with a low MCAT score.

Hello all,

Here's my background: I graduated with a Pharm.D., received 1 year of post-grad training (PGY1), and have been working as a clinical pharmacist for about 1.5 years. I'm seriously considering applying for medical school and have been studying for the MCAT in preparation to apply this year. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.9, have done various research projects, been involved in many volunteer activities. My question is strictly concerning medical school pre-requisites.

Having had a pharmacy background, I assume I have completed many pre-requisites for medical school but that has been many years ago (started undergrad in 2006, got into pharmacy school in 2008, graduated in 2013). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that he/she can share with me about transitioning to medical school? Will this be a smooth transition as far as classes go, or will I have to retake certain classes if a number of years have passed?

Please share! Thank you.

I doubt you'll need to redo any. My classes were all older than that and all were accepted. You can look at individual schools, but since you've stayed in the general field, I think it shows you'll still have that knowledge. You'll also need to prove you can still know that stuff on the MCAT -- if you get a really high MCAT score, you may find schools can waive some of the more picky requirements that are hard for non-trads (e.g. old pre-reqs, specific LOR requirements.)

Reactions: 1 user