Pharm school acceptance nation wide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy is obviously more competitive now than it used to be. It seems to me though, that pharmcas just made it easier for everyone to apply to a dozen schools, and therefor make it APPEAR more competitive. I wonder what percentage of applicants nation wide are accepted every year. Does anyone know what the actual ratio is nation wide?

Members don't see this ad.

I found this on aacp's website. It's for the 2002-2003 applicants for the class that entered in Fall 2003. I don't think the data for this year's (2003-2004) Pharmcas application explosion will be available until next year. It will be interesting to see how high the number of applications has jumped. But how do you count each person that applies to fifteen schools. He/she will be considered as 15 different separate applications?

From the numbers they give in the following report (47306 apps and 4.8 apps for every seat), I calculated that there were ~9800 seats to fill among the 84 pharmD programs.

2002-03 APPLICATION POOL
? From September 2002 through August 2003, eighty-nine (89) colleges and schools reported receiving
47,306 applications to first professional degree programs.
? For the 84 colleges and schools reporting application data for both 2002-03 and 2001-02, there was a
37.3 percent increase in the number of applications received.
? 4.8 applications were received by colleges and schools of pharmacy for every one entering student
enrolled in fall 2003. This ratio for 2002-03 was 3.7 applications for every one entering student in fall

? The majority (65.0 percent) of the applications were submitted by females; 35.0 percent were submitted
by males.
? Underrepresented minorities submitted 13.6 percent of the applications (black, 9.3 percent; Hispanic,
3.7 percent; American Indian, 0.5 percent).
? Over 57 percent (57.4 percent) of the applications to colleges and schools were submitted by individuals
who had 3 or more years of postsecondary education: 27.5 percent had completed 3 or more years of
postsecondary education without earning a degree; 28.5 percent held a baccalaureate; 1.2 percent held
a master's degree; and 0.2 percent held a doctorate.
Profile of Pharmacy Students
Fall 2003
? The majority (60.0 percent) of applications received by colleges and schools of pharmacy were
submitted by in-state residents.

FALL 2003 ENROLLMENTS
? 43,047 students were enrolled in first professional degree programs; 420 in baccalaureate programs
and 42,627 in Pharm.D.1 degree programs.
? There was a 10.7 percent increase from fall 2002 first professional degree enrollments.
? Underrepresented minorities in first professional degree programs increased 9.5 percent from fall 2002
(black 9.3 percent; Hispanic 9.5 percent; American Indian 13.7 percent). Underrepresented minorities
accounted for 13.89 percent of first professional degree enrollments, down from 14.0 percent in 2002.
? The number of Pharm.D.2 students enrolled (n=3,603) decreased by 12.2 percent from fall 2002.
? There were 355 students enrolled full-time in Pharm.D.2 degree programs, a 20.0 percent decrease
from the 444 enrolled in fall 2002.
? There were 110 students enrolled in traditional part-time Pharm.D.2 degree programs, a 22.5 percent
increase from the 142 enrolled in fall 2002.
? There were 3,138 students enrolled in nontraditional programs, a 10.8 percent decrease over the 3,518
students enrolled in fall 2002.
? At both the M.S. and Ph.D. levels, the greatest numbers of full-time students were enrolled in the
discipline of pharmaceutics (34.5 percent of M.S. students, 40.4 percent of Ph.D. students).
? More females than males were enrolled full-time in M.S. programs, while more males than females were
enrolled full-time in Ph.D. programs. Females accounted for 56.8 percent of the students in M.S.
programs and 47.7 percent of the students in Ph.D. programs.
? The percentage of full-time M.S. students who were underrepresented minorities (black, Hispanic,
American Indian) decreased from 11.7 percent in fall 2002 to 9.9 percent.
? The percentage of full-time Ph.D. students who were underrepresented minorities (black, Hispanic,
American Indian) decreased to 6.3 percent from 6.6 percent in fall 2002.

Here's where this data came from:
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/5876_highlights.pdf

Thanks for the research Karmapatrol! It will be interesting to see numbers for this year. Any ideas on how to find out if "applicants" means actual people, or if I submit 15 applications, am I 15 "applicants"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, how many did you send out? We can keep a running average. I sent out one.

pharmel said:
Thanks for the research Karmapatrol! It will be interesting to see numbers for this year. Any ideas on how to find out if "applicants" means actual people, or if I submit 15 applications, am I 15 "applicants"?
I would have to assume that 15 applications means just the apps. The data reported is likely anonymous, so there isn't really a way to separate the "apps from people".

On the other hand, the ENROLLMENT data probably only counts the actual different people, since people cannot be simultaneously enrolled in more than one college of pharmacy. Does that make sense?

imperial frog said:
I applied to 4 schools last year, but I remember my fellow interviewees telling me the crazy number of applications that they had sent out. I know a few people who sent 10, 11, or 20 apps. Of course, some of those people were accepted to EVERY school that they applied to. :eek:

imperial frog said:

I sent 1 and a 1/2. One was my first choice, and the 1/2 was my second choice that I never completed after I was accepted at my first choice. I purposely didn't send my fall transcripts, and I was too lazy to send them an official withdrawal letter. But I guess that still counts as 2.

BTW, I LOVE your avatar, imperial frog! Jonny Depp is hot; he's #2 on my "list"! I could stare at it all day. And I had a VERY nice dream the other night thanks to your avatar :laugh: :oops:

imperial frog said:
I sent out one too.