This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayinghumble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a sophomore in college, but I messed up my second semester in college as a freshman. The first semester I made 3.o and my second semester I had a lot going on and made a 2.0 (all C's). I'm freaking out and think my chances are ruined. I'll probably make a 3.6 or 3.4 this semester, but my cumulative would still be a 2.7 or 2.8. I'll probably have a 3.0 or higher by the end of the year. I still have a lot of pharmacy pre-reqs left but my gpa may only be able to get up to a 3.4 cumulative. I just want to know what will be my chances of getting in since I already messed up so early. I'm currently a cheerleader for the university I attend, but I will be quitting at the end of this year to focus on school programs. Next year I will be an Ambassador for the school, and I am currently trying to get a pharm tech position at CVS. I also have lots of volunteer hours from being on the cheerleading squad. What are my chances, and what should I do so that I can be accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the PCAT yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
As with many other posts on here, a good PCAT score can balance out a low GPA, study hard and make a >80 then you'll be fine.

Focus on the PCAT and try and do well on it and you should be fine. If you can continue to get an upward trend on your transcript then that will look good as well and you can easily discuss the semester that you did poorly on in the interview and make it a positive instead of a negative. If you can not get the job at CVS then try and look into volunteering at the hospital or visiting pharmacies asking them if you can shadow.
Thank you so much will do!!!

Agreed, I made 75th percentile (not superscore) on PharmCAS and had a 2.9 GPA and was accepted into all schools that I applied for (UT, Mercer, and UGA). However, my GPA was ruined during my first year and a half of undergrad, and since then I have been on the Dean's list nearly every semester. Now I have a great GPA at the school I currently attend, and I don't consider my PCAT top-notch. It helped that I had two and a half years of PTCB pharm. tech. experience though, as I've spoken to a lot of students that have never worked in a pharmacy.

Let me also stress how important the interview process is. Don't worry about being overdressed, go in there and show them how motivated you are. Hopefully your recent undergrad experiences do stress your future success.

Edit: I also have a B.S. in pre-professional biology, and am four classes away from a B.S. in Biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to see there's hope

Last edited: