Pharm tech certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delmier776

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding a pharm tech job in my area and I think part of the reason is that I'm not certified.

I was thinking of studying between the semesters and taking the PTCB test. All I'd really need are proper guidelines about procedures and laws.How hard would it be to study for the tech test and pass on my own?

Members don't see this ad.

not hard at all...I studied the night before :/ I guess that isn't advised but its pretty simple. which review book are you using?

That's just it, I have no clue what to use. I've shadowed in a pharmacy before, so I know more than most, but at the very least it'll show initiative when it comes up in an interview. Any study material suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, getting the tech license is the easiest part in becoming a pharmacy tech. It's so saturated/they're not offering many positions anymore. I do suggest going around to EVERY single CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. Its a pretty vicious cycle in that they wont hire you unless you get experience, but no one will give you a chance to get experience without already having experience -_- Try to find either a very slow store (small population around) or a very busy store (where they need extra hands). As for the PTCE, http://www.bing.com/shopping/mosbys...view&lpq=mosby pharmacy tech review&FORM=HURE this is the book I used to prep for it. I literally just memorized the few laws you had to know as a tech, know all of the metric to household conversions (dont worry about drams or grains, those are so outdated), and I also memorized the SIG codes in the appendix section (or you can look online for sig codes). Thats pretty much it, and I did some practice exams in the back. Don't worry too much about generic/brand equivalents. A lot of the test will be on math; so just know all of that. Its only a 70% pass iirc. Anyways, let me know if you have anymore questions :) GL

Yea, getting the tech license is the easiest part in becoming a pharmacy tech. It's so saturated/they're not offering many positions anymore. I do suggest going around to EVERY single CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. Its a pretty vicious cycle in that they wont hire you unless you get experience, but no one will give you a chance to get experience without already having experience -_- Try to find either a very slow store (small population around) or a very busy store (where they need extra hands). As for the PTCE, http://www.bing.com/shopping/mosbys...view&lpq=mosby pharmacy tech review&FORM=HURE this is the book I used to prep for it. I literally just memorized the few laws you had to know as a tech, know all of the metric to household conversions (dont worry about drams or grains, those are so outdated), and I also memorized the SIG codes in the appendix section (or you can look online for sig codes). Thats pretty much it, and I did some practice exams in the back. Don't worry too much about generic/brand equivalents. A lot of the test will be on math; so just know all of that. Its only a 70% pass iirc. Anyways, let me know if you have anymore questions :) GL

I've been studying from the Mosby book and it seems so hard! The book asks a lot of questions about the uses of specific medications and name brand to generic equivalents. Also, the Mosby book asks about very specific laws and the Acts that brought them about. Is the actual PTCB that hard? Do you have the breakdown of what the test is about? I'm worried I might miss over 30% because I'm not proficient in all the drugs/laws!

I find it hard to believe when people say they can't find a job ANYWHERE. I live in a suburb just outside of a major city with 3 pharmacy schools (saturated, much?) and the pharmacies around me are begging for tech support. I think the problem is that too many students are unwilling to make a major commitment to having a real job outside of school. So if you are willing to take that step, just start applying places.
Anyway, that test is easy, although I took it after I'd been working about 3 years. If you can do math, it's pretty straightforward. Lots of calculations. Know your brands/generics/MAJOR classes. You don't have to know the difference between Cipro and Levaquin, but you do have to know that they are in the same class, separate from Keflex and Zithromax. The hardest part for me was the preparation of compounds/TPN type things that are seen in hospitals but not in retail. Study for maybe 30-60 minutes a day for the week before the test and you'd be fine. I studied the night before but again, I had the experience to back me up

I've been studying from the Mosby book and it seems so hard! The book asks a lot of questions about the uses of specific medications and name brand to generic equivalents. Also, the Mosby book asks about very specific laws and the Acts that brought them about. Is the actual PTCB that hard? Do you have the breakdown of what the test is about? I'm worried I might miss over 30% because I'm not proficient in all the drugs/laws!

Don't stress too much about it. Specific questions about drug classes and effects aren't as prominent as the math portion. The exam is comprised mostly of calculations...just know those front and back (don't miss any math ones). Know all of the laws very well. You might just read about major classes, but don't study all day for it. Working at a retail store, you learn most of it while on the job, no one expects you to jump in and be a great tech unless they require experience beforehand. The laws mentioned in the first few pages of the book are the ones you should be familiar with, huge ones like HIPPA you should know very well. I didn't have any experience coming in either, so you'll do fine :)

I find it hard to believe when people say they can't find a job ANYWHERE. I live in a suburb just outside of a major city with 3 pharmacy schools (saturated, much?) and the pharmacies around me are begging for tech support.

It really just depends on the economy of the area. As you said, you're just outside of a major city. The pharmacies I've contacted are usually fully staffed and have people waiting to transfer into pharmacy from the main store. The area I used to be in had plenty of pharmacy jobs open.

Hey are you tech? are you looking for a job? which area do you live? I have friends who are hiring techs in northern Cali :)