Pharm Tech job as a Pharm Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stratomaster18

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, for the past couple of years I have tried to get a pharmacy technician job but failed to do so since I'm from Chicago and they are VERY over saturated with both Pharmacists and Pharmacy Tech's. I'm currently a P1 and want to get a pharm tech job for obvious reasons. Now that I'm a Pharm student, will I have a better chance at getting a job? Is there anything that I can put of application or do in order to increase my chances?

Thanks for your insight
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you more hireable than the tech who isn't going to school? You have to answer that question to figure out the answer to your original question. Can you cover if another tech calls in sick? Is your schedule flexible? Do you promise to never call in if you're supposed to work a shift the night before an exam?

Some PIC's hate having pharmacy students because their scheduling is a nightmare. Others love having pharmacy students as techs because they can teach them little things here and there about the profession (before you get your intern license).

There's no hard and fast answer to this question.
 
It seems like a lot of people from my school have received pharm tech job offers since school started. We get mass recruitment emails through our school now and then from local pharmacies (no interning in MN until after P1 year, just tech positions). It might just be because flu shot season is a busy time in pharmacies, though. Or...perhaps pharmacists trust student pharmacists more than the average technician?

Anyway...it's worthwhile working as a tech. I hope you can find a part-time position!