Pharm Tech Program at Community College or Should I Go Ahead and Begin The BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apothecary

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Kinda new here. :)
I'm a community college pre-pharm student in San Antonio, Texas.

And Here's my question:

Northwest Vista College offers a pharmacy technology certificate that would take me a year to complete. I'd come out of the program having had an internship in a hospital and in a retail setting.
http://www.accd.edu/nvc/areas/pht/PTcertificate.html
Or,
I could go ahead and start working on my BS, most likely at UIW, a potential 3+ years.

Is this pharm tech program, experience, and certification worth it or should I just go on and get my BS in chemistry and maybe volunteer or shadow?

Thanky,
Apothecary

Members don't see this ad.

Apothecary said:
Hi everyone. Kinda new here. :)
I'm a community college pre-pharm student in San Antonio, Texas.

And Here's my question:

Northwest Vista College offers a pharmacy technology certificate that would take me a year to complete. I'd come out of the program having had an internship in a hospital and in a retail setting.
http://www.accd.edu/nvc/areas/pht/PTcertificate.html
Or,
I could go ahead and start working on my BS, most likely at UIW, a potential 3+ years.

Is this pharm tech program, experience, and certification worth it or should I just go on and get my BS in chemistry and maybe volunteer or shadow?

Thanky,
Apothecary

In california you can get a tech license by taking the ptcb test. I don't know how it works in texas but you might want to look into it.

gimpsd said:
In california you can get a tech license by taking the ptcb test. I don't know how it works in texas but you might want to look into it.

In Texas, you also can take ptcb test without attending any school or program. It is a self-study course. Don't waste your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the program's a waste of time?

But...do go on to start on your BS!

Hi Apothecary

I actually attended that pharmacy tech program at NVC and it was very helpful and informative. Plus it is not that expensive, like someone else mentioned above. I spent maybe $1,500 for the entire program, including books. It allowed me to pass the PTCE test with ease. Plus, the two internships that you complete allow for great hands-on experience. I was even offered a job at both sites.
What I did was take the required classes for this program and courses for my BS degree as well. After I finished the tech program I received a certificate of completion in pharmacy technology and an associate of science degree at the same time. Then I transferred to UTSA and finished up my bachelor's degree in 2 years.
BTW, UIW is VERY expensive, which I'm sure you already know.

it is so cool to hear someone from the same area as me! (i go to A&M but i grew up in helotes and have taken classes at NVC) . anyways i got my certification without a class. i got the books off amazon (pm me if you want to know which ones) and i studied really hard but not for very long (spring break--the test was on a friday so i started about a week before). is UIW the only place that you are going to apply? well anyways good luck with everything! :D

Start your BS, work part time at a pharmacy on the side, find a few study guides and pass the certification without a course.

Best of all worlds.

dana92085 said:
it is so cool to hear someone from the same area as me! (i go to A&M but i grew up in helotes and have taken classes at NVC) . anyways i got my certification without a class. i got the books off amazon (pm me if you want to know which ones) and i studied really hard but not for very long (spring break--the test was on a friday so i started about a week before). is UIW the only place that you are going to apply? well anyways good luck with everything! :D
For my BS? Most likely just UIW.
For PharmD? I'll more than likely apply at numerous texas schools.
Though, UIW would be ideal.