Pharm Tech while in pre-pharm in Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ufpharm2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Fairly new here and have been searching past threads on advice but have not found anything similar to my situation so hopefully I can get advice here!

I am considering a career change from Business to Pharmacy. I graduated with a BS last December and have worked for almost a year now in my field to find that this is not something that I see myself in long term. I've always been fascinated by people and medicine which led me to considering Pharmacy School. My plan is to take the pre-reqs full time next year and start my application July-Aug 2018. Not too worried about the course load since I've always been a good student. My main goal right now is to secure relevant experience so I can prove to Admissions that I am serious about my career change. I was thinking of getting a Pharmacy Technician position soon while I do my pre-reqs. I've asked around (I live in South Florida) and a few retail stores told me that they really want someone with either previous pharmacy tech experience, or someone already in Pharmacy School. How does one who is not in Pharmacy School yet become a Pharmacy Technician in Florida, with absolutely no experience in pharmacy? Any other tips on how to secure relevant extra curriculars for Pharmacy School? Advice would be much appreciated guys thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy techs have decently high turnover so honestly just apply as you would for any job and I'm sure you'll find something. Obviously they will say they want previous experience since no one wants to train, but look at Kroger/Wal mart/ CVS or Walgreens. Hospital and Kaiser/Costco are positions that typically require a few years of experience since they pay better and usually have better hours. They like to steal better techs from kroger/Wal/CVS. It may help to take the PTCB or w/e certifying agency is used in your state and certify yourself. I found my tech job by just applying to Kroger and then they gave me 8 months to be certified.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a job as a tech when I was fresh out of a different career. I had taken the test and submitted an app and forgotten about it.

The above poster is right, sometimes tech turnover can be pretty high. I wouldn't hesitate to submit your application. As for EC's, I'd just try to be active in a pre-pharmacy group in undergrad, or something along those lines. Leadership positions help (regardless of what kind of group, imo).

Reactions: 1 user