Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Industry after PharmD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aandrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, how does the admissions committee feel about students entering the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industry after obtaining their PharmD. Is it looked down upon? Is it considered selling out?

I'm asking because I am mainly interested going to pharmacy school to eventually reenter the biotech industry after further education. I am not too interested in community/retail pharmacy. I was wondering if that is OK to mention in the personal statement/interview.

I feel this would be great for schools with PharmD/MBA programs, but I am worried how schools without such programs will view my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, how does the admissions committee feel about students entering the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industry after obtaining their PharmD. Is it looked down upon? Is it considered selling out?

I'm asking because I am mainly interested going to pharmacy school to eventually reenter the biotech industry after further education. I am not too interested in community/retail pharmacy. I was wondering if that is OK to mention in the personal statement/interview.

I feel this would be great for schools with PharmD/MBA programs, but I am worried how schools without such programs will view my application.

considering the richer you are, the more likely you will donate to your school, i don't really know why they would complain...

there are a lot of pharm Ds now in the pharmaceutical industry that work in translational research. i'm sure if you show that you've researched the field and know what you are aiming for, schools won't look down on you for it. most schools actually have "participating in pharmaceutical industry research" as part of the career paths for pharmacists on their websites. then again, i would ask the schools themselves if you want to be sure.