Pharmaceutical Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jerking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Are there any schools that specialize in this area?

Members don't see this ad.

this has been asked before but yes. A quick goole search can help but I can name 3.

Purdue
University of Michigan
and UCSF

Pitt is pretty big on research. I wouldn't say they 'specialize' in it (at least in the PharmSci department) but it's definitely a significant research center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
When involved in Pharm. Research, does that mean that you have a Pharm D?
Also, what's the salary like for people involved in Pharm Research?

I've heard it ranges from ~40-60k, but that's without a Pharm D.... I hope.

I know that there are some PharmDs in research but if you want to do more lab work and less clinical work I recommend also pursuing a Ph.D. I that UNC offers a dual degree program but it would likely take you 7 years to complete both.

I'm looking to do pharmaceutical research, most of the schools I applied to offer the PharmD/PhD program, if they dont offer it combined than they offer the two degrees individually.

Schools that i'm interested in include: UF, CU-Denver, MUSC, and Temple

A PhD independently will make more the 40-60K a year, a post-doc might earn that much though. If there's any particular area of research you're interested in i suggest looking on the school sites, they have contact names and everything, but the program is separate from the pharmD, so be prepared to wright the GRE if you havent already. Having a BS would also help. It will take 7-8 yrs to complete both degrees (depending mostly on how long it takes you to finish your dissertation research), but many schools will pay you to earn your PhD.

I know that there are some PharmDs in research but if you want to do more lab work and less clinical work I recommend also pursuing a Ph.D. I that UNC offers a dual degree program but it would likely take you 7 years to complete both.

this. if you are looking for schools in Michigan. Wayne State University and University of Michigan has the dual degree program. You do have to take the GRE along with the PCAT.

If I am interested in pursuing a career in research does anybody have any insight into the pros/cons of doing a pharmd/phd versus just getting a phd in the field? If I obtained a PharmD/PhD would I just be paying top dollar to take many of the same classes that I would take as PhD coursework?

If I am interested in pursuing a career in research does anybody have any insight into the pros/cons of doing a pharmd/phd versus just getting a phd in the field? If I obtained a PharmD/PhD would I just be paying top dollar to take many of the same classes that I would take as PhD coursework?

Jace, I just found this paper today:
www.accp.com/docs/positions/misc/ACCPRschCareersShortReport.pdf

It was written in 2009, so its not too dated, and quite detailed on what a pharmD, PhD, fellowship, or some combination of the 3 could entitle you to. No word on salary though, but I anticipate 80k+

And you last question depends whether you take the pharmD/phd program (their classes will apply to both degrees), or if you take the degrees independently of each other, this will depend on institution and you'll have to contact the school

I THINK having a pharmD comes into play if you're doing clinical trials. you would have access to positions that someone without some form of medical degree would not have.