Pharmaceutical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaRoche1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of applying to the PhD program in Pharmaceutical sciences. Does anybody here know someone already in such program? I really really would appreciate any info/advice I can get. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

DaRoche1 said:
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of applying to the PhD program in Pharmaceutical sciences. Does anybody here know someone already in such program? I really really would appreciate any info/advice I can get. Thank you :)

There's a guy in my class who has a PhD in pharmacology. Now he's getting his PharmD, because he wants to make money instead of doing research. Just about every major university has a PhD in pharmacology available. If I were you, I'd check out the web pages of universities that you are interested in.

DaRoche1 said:

What are you interested in getting a PhD in? Medicinal Chemistry? Pharmaceutics? "Other"?

Members don't see this ad :)
dgroulx said:
There's a guy in my class who has a PhD in pharmacology. Now he's getting his PharmD, because he wants to make money instead of doing research. Just about every major university has a PhD in pharmacology available. If I were you, I'd check out the web pages of universities that you are interested in.

oh really? so did he have to go through the regular application process for entry level pharmD? you know..stuff like PCAT etc?

WVUPharm2007 said:
What are you interested in getting a PhD in? Medicinal Chemistry? Pharmaceutics? "Other"?

Hi WVU,

Pharmaceuticals at UMB

with regards to the above mentioned sch, I'm interested in their clinical pharmaceutical science research... :)

dgroulx said:
We have a studnet in our class with a PhD in med chem. She's going for her PharmD with us, but to be honest, a PharmD is generally considered an "entry level" doctorate degree. It would me much more common to see PharmD, then PhD. There is money to be earned with a PhD as well.

Sometimes the "clinical" aspect of pharmacy can wear on people (me). It would be nice to have a nice lab to escape to every once in a while (where you're the boss). I'm down for a PhD in a few years.... :D

DaRoche1 said:
oh really? so did he have to go through the regular application process for entry level pharmD? you know..stuff like PCAT etc?
Absolutely. He didn't get to exempt any classes, either. After our exams, he's bitching about the tricky questions just like the rest of us.

dgroulx said:
Absolutely. He didn't get to exempt any classes, either. After our exams, he's bitching about the tricky questions just like the rest of us.
lol that's great!

pharmacology said:
UMB is a very highly ranked Pharmacy program....at least in respect to federal grant dollars that they receive. For clinical work I would probably only consider school that have an associated hospital (as in a health science center with a medical school)

I would look at the type of research the program is doing. Clinical pharm sci likely could be broadly interpreted.....anything from doing basic database studies of clinical data (no laboratory/bench science) to clinical studies of drugs in a hospital setting to translational laboratory/bench research.

If you are accepted early I would suggest you get to know the work of the faculty....look over some of their research papers, find one or two you are interested in, and contact them regarding a graduate position in their llab/program. You don't want to just show up and not really know anything about the program or faculty.

Pharm..thanks a lot for that advice!!..I will keep that in mind :)