Pharmacist at correctional center, any body?

Started by 3boooda
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

3boooda

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, do you know how is it to work as rph in correctional center, jail? And feedback will be appreciated. Received some offers as contractor in California.
 
Hi, do you know how is it to work as rph in correctional center, jail? And feedback will be appreciated. Received some offers as contractor in California.

I don't know about a pharmacists job in a correctional facility, but I was a guard at a few super max's back in the day. It's an awful environment to work in... everyone is depressed. Pay is good though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not corrections, but I rotated at a State Forensic Hospital. It was an amazing experience and I would love to work there. However, the pay isn't great (no specifics), and it was rural. But we got to be very clinical and go on rounds and had a lot of input with the providers.
 
Not sure if this helps you any, but almost all my inmates that took meds were on psych meds or something to do with diabetes. IIRC the nurses would handle the actual inmates, you'd never have direct interaction. I never even realized there was a pharmacist, and I did a month long rotation guarding the infirmary.

There are usually two or more layers of security in a prison. You'd never be working in the truly dangerous part.
 
A buddy of mine did a rotation at a corrections center, and was offered a job after graduation. He opted to relocate somewhere else, but it was a tough choice. He loved the hours, limited formulary, no insurance, tight-knit pharmacy crew.