Pharmacist Burnout, Career change possibilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD727

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has considered switching careers to something other than pharmacy? Or anyone that has switched careers?
What kind of things can pharmacists do besides teaching?

I'm really not happy with the direction pharmacy is going. (I'll put my pharmacy background story as the first comment.)

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to switch when you have so many student loans and you spent so much time investing in your career. I'm not sure where to start but I'm personally burnout and no longer happy with my career. I've been a pharmacist for 6 years and in pharmacy for 12 years. When I first became interested in pharmacy as an undergrad in 2006 it was a promising career with lots of opportunities and great staffing. I worked as a tech at a retail pharmacy and saw the great work life balance the pharmacists had.

Fast forward to graduating from pharmacy school and seeing how few jobs there are, the lack of work life balance and how unhappy pharmacists are.

My pharmacist career in a nutshell.
-Worked in retail for 7 years, I worked as an intern and then as a pharmacist right after gradation but then got laid off after a few months( not enough pharmacist seniority) . They offered me a job bagging groceries which I took because it was better than no money. It was extremely humbling.
- Worked in hospital pharmacy for over 3 years, company started laying people off(they laid off 20 pharmacists)
-Recently resigned from a pharmacy manager job I was at less than 6months due to insane hours that were making me physically sick from the stress, lack of sleep from being on call, and working 80 hrs a week.

I feel like no matter where you are in pharmacy there's no longer work /life balance they just keep working pharmacists to death.

Reactions: 1 users
You bagged groceries with a pharmD? Wouldn't unemployment have been better ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Lol Pharmacy is the way it is because we have let it. Bagging groceries with Pharm D lmaoo no wonder store managers ask new grads to clean the bathroom.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep sending letters to the White House asking if I can be Secretary of the Exterior, but no response yet.

In all seriousness, I think there are jobs out there, but you have to network and be flexible and able to move if needed. Pharmacy is a great career if you want to bank money for 10-15 years, invest wisely, and retire early. I'm hoping to semi-retire in my 50's if possible.

Reactions: 2 users
-Worked in retail for 7 years, I worked as an intern and then as a pharmacist right after gradation but then got laid off after a few months( not enough pharmacist seniority) . They offered me a job bagging groceries which I took because it was better than no money.

Did they offer cashier position to a pharmacist? And you took the offer??
Seriously?

Seriously?

S/he was a bagger, not a cashier. And, as someone already mentioned, this person would have made more money collecting those sweet, sweet unemployment checks. Also, I don't believe this story. Not even a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think if you are an established pharmacist just go part time or explore other setting like LTC, pbm, indepnts pharmacies, consulting, etc. you have broad experience in Pharmacy, your resume should be sufficient to get you into most places. There are other jobs that may want your degree like medical science liaison and other work for pharma Companies if that’s your cup of tea. As you have experienced doing other jobs just doesn’t procure same time of pay that’s why I recommend change in setting or part time work...

S/he was a bagger, not a cashier. And, as some already mentioned, this person would have made more money collecting those sweet, sweet unemployment checks. Also, I don't believe this story. Not even a little.

Quite suspect, but I just posted a response giving poster benefit of doubt

Lol Pharmacy is the way it is because we have let it. Bagging groceries with Pharm D lmaoo no wonder store managers ask new grads to clean the bathroom.
I’ve seen this happen. The PharmD will usually pass this task on to one of the techs, but it's a disgrace to the profession.

Last edited:
Wait. I checked OP’s profile and he is a member since today?
Didn’t we have some guy who posted that he got offered around $40/hr and took it? And it was his first posting?

Now I doubt that this OP is the same guy who just wants to troll...

Not so sure about this one but I can verify grads this year taking offers that low- an independent offered me $40/ hr then changed their minds to $37 and then the day I was supposed to start they let me know the accountant vetoed the hire, which was suspicious because the person who offered me the job was the owner. Sadly.... not the worst- another person from my graduating class took an offer for $25 an hour (she has zero student loans, and parents pay the bills so she doesn't have the pressing need for money most of us do). The owner of that pharmacy has absolutely zero background in pharmacy, and has zero respect for the profession clearly but is looking for a pharmacist with 6 years experience and bilingual to kick start their ALF contracts. Another classmate is working in clothing retail while they wait for a job offer. The profession definitely isn't the same as it was when I first decided on it =/.

I worked with a pharmacist who worked at a Bath and Body shop for a while. I don't know her whole life story but the gist I got was she left a pharmacy job she hated and worked the Bath and Body shop job to kill time until she found a pharmacist job she wanted. Seemed crazy to me but it worked for her.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone else has considered switching careers to something other than pharmacy? Or anyone that has switched careers?
What kind of things can pharmacists do besides teaching?

I'm really not happy with the direction pharmacy is going. (I'll put my pharmacy background story as the first comment.)
Sadly a pharamd doesn't transfer to alot of other industries. Hell in retail, customers can't tell the pharmacist from a tech. Most people don't know what a pharmacist does and thus they don't value them. You might switch to business and work for a drug company. Or you can work for a health organization. The problem with the job market today is that employers expect employees to come pretrained and know how to do the job. Which makes it difficult to switch careers.

You bagged groceries with a pharmD? Wouldn't unemployment have been better ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That was in 2012, the district manager told me I didn't have the option to get unemployment, I didn't fight it I was a recent graduate I was part time and didn't have very many hours. I was in shock and desperate at the time. So I bagged groceries for a few months.

Yah, it really sucked. Especially since it was the same store I worked as a pharmacist so it was really confusing to customers and coworkers.

That was in 2012, the district manager told me I didn't have the option to get unemployment, I didn't fight it I was a recent graduate I was part time and didn't have very many hours. I was in shock and desperate at the time. So I bagged groceries for a few months.

Sorry that it happened to you. I apologize if I hurt your feeling in my reply above.
It was just hard to believe that this profession was treated in that way.

I keep sending letters to the White House asking if I can be Secretary of the Exterior, but no response yet.

In all seriousness, I think there are jobs out there, but you have to network and be flexible and able to move if needed. Pharmacy is a great career if you want to bank money for 10-15 years, invest wisely, and retire early. I'm hoping to semi-retire in my 50's if possible.

I'm at the point in my life where I want to stay close to my family after living far away for 15years away. I just can't justify moving away from them just for the money. I lost my Dad recently to cancer, life is too short to waste time being unhappy.

Seriously?
Yes I did. As a new graduate I already new how saturated the market was so I took the cashier position till I found something else.

S/he was a bagger, not a cashier. And, as someone already mentioned, this person would have made more money collecting those sweet, sweet unemployment checks. Also, I don't believe this story. Not even a little.
Not sure why you don't believe me. I'm new to this forum am I missing something? Why do you assume I'm lieing? I'm just trying to get input on career change and everyone is focusing on me spending time as a grocery cashier. That isn't my focus.

Quite suspect, but I just posted a response giving poster benefit of doubt
I'm confused why do people keep assuming I'm lying? I just joined the forum today, what am I missing? Do you guys have a history of people making up stories or something? I'm not doing that. But if people are going to automatically think I'm lying I don't think this is a place for me. Honestly this sucks.

Wait. I checked OP’s profile and he is a member since today?
Didn’t we have some guy who posted that he got offered around $40/hr and took it? And it was his first posting?

Now I doubt that this OP is the same guy who just wants to troll...
I'm not a troll or a guy. I promise I'm a legit person pharmacist and woman.

I see disgruntlement and disenchantment a lot in pharmacy. That's why I recommend to pay off your loans and mortgage as fast as possible, then to save and invest until it snowballs and generates a substantial passive income. Being debt free opens up tons of opportunities because you don't have to worry about money anymore. Now you might get lucky and get a cushy job in pharmacy, or you could just walk away and do something else that you enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry that it happened to you. I apologize if I hurt your feeling in my reply above.
It was just hard to believe that this profession was treated in that way.
Thank you. I wish it wasn't true either. :( I had invested 6 years with the company so it really caught me off guard. The started laying people off because of the new central automated refill center.

Ive thought about teaching at the community college and starting a specialized plant/tree nursery. But then I remember that I have to eat and pay a mortgage. Even with no student loans, the $$ is hard to beat for what we do.
There really isn't much joy in pharmacy...but then again what field is all roses and rainbows?

I'm confused why do people keep assuming I'm lying? I just joined the forum today, what am I missing? Do you guys have a history of people making up stories or something? I'm not doing that. But if people are going to automatically think I'm lying I don't think this is a place for me. Honestly this sucks.

Do have history of trolls. A company offering a PHARMACIST a position outside the pharmacy after laying off is pretty unheard of, or at least to me it is. Not saying it's impossible, but hope that you can how that can raise an eyebrow or two. Also, a pharmacist being on call is not usual unless you're doing home infusion pharmacy or certain hospitals who don't employ GY pharmacists and need to make an IV drip in the middle of the night, those are only circumstances when I heard of such as thing. Also, working 80 hrs a week isn't common either. Not saying that you're making it up, just those two facts make people skeptical.

Last edited:
It's hard to switch when you have so many student loans and you spent so much time investing in your career. I'm not sure where to start but I'm personally burnout and no longer happy with my career. I've been a pharmacist for 6 years and in pharmacy for 12 years. When I first became interested in pharmacy as an undergrad in 2006 it was a promising career with lots of opportunities and great staffing. I worked as a tech at a retail pharmacy and saw the great work life balance the pharmacists had.

Fast forward to graduating from pharmacy school and seeing how few jobs there are, the lack of work life balance and how unhappy pharmacists are.

-Worked in retail for 7 years, I worked as an intern and then as a pharmacist right after gradation but then got laid off after a few months( not enough pharmacist seniority) . They offered me a job bagging groceries which I took because it was better than no money. It was extremely humbling.
- Worked in hospital pharmacy for over 3 years, company started laying people off(they laid off 20 pharmacists)
-Recently resigned from a pharmacy manager job I was at less than 6months due to insane hours that were making me physically sick from the stress, lack of sleep from being on call, and working 80 hrs a week.
I feel like no matter where you are in pharmacy there's no longer work /life balance they just keep working pharmacists to death.

You sound like you have significant personal issues that you're calling a career problem.

Ive thought about teaching at the community college and starting a specialized plant/tree nursery. But then I remember that I have to eat and pay a mortgage. Even with no student loans, the $$ is hard to beat for what we do.
There really isn't much joy in pharmacy...but then again what field is all roses and rainbows?

That is true. As much as we complain about how stressful it is, we make 5-6x more than techs. Many techs work just as hard as rphs (some harder... There are plenty of lazy rphs) and experience the same stress.

Not so sure about this one but I can verify grads this year taking offers that low- an independent offered me $40/ hr then changed their minds to $37

That's the offer that I took when I graduated ($40 an hour but I was put on a salary so I actually worked 88 hours per 2 weeks for 80-hour pay). I used to stay very late to get the work done so it is closer to 100 hour every two weeks that I worked. I was both a very dedicated worker and a very dumb one. I am still now, but I got paid more and do not give a **** as much.

I have never done it myself but I see a lot of pharmacists, more female than male, sell third-party products, weight loss, smoking cessation, supplements etc... you name it. It is probably either a scam or a resonable source of additional income because there are people doing it for a while. Maybe it is one of the rare cases whereby the public misconception works for you: they see you are a "well to do" pharmacist and assume everything you say and sell is legit.

I sell too many coricidin to people who want my "legit" advise for cough, cold and flu that I should have made some commission out of it.

Last edited:
I am a new grad. I graduated in May, but I didnt get a pharmacist job til Dec. It was depressing to be unemployed. I was isolated, i didnt want to talk to anyone just 'cause I felt useless not being able to support my family. I had to sell electronic stuffs on ebay and facebook in order to pay bills. Even though I have a job now, it is still part time 2 days a week. I had to defer my loans last month cause I wasnt able to pay back. This job market is insanely saturated. I see how hard it is to have the job, so every working moment is precious to me

I am a new grad. I graduated in May, but I didnt get a pharmacist job til Dec. It was depressing to be unemployed. I was isolated, i didnt want to talk to anyone just 'cause I felt useless not being able to support my family. I had to sell electronic stuffs on ebay and facebook in order to pay bills. Even though I have a job now, it is still part time 2 days a week. I had to defer my loans last month cause I wasnt able to pay back. This job market is insanely saturated. I see how hard it is to have the job, so every working moment is precious to me
We need to have a stickied thread where it is explained to people that if they have poor English literacy in America that they may have a hard time finding work.

It's an unfortunate fact that many schools ignore.

I had a classmate that I absolutely could not understand. She still works for CVS I think.

Ebonics and Spanish also help depending on your location

I'm not a troll or a guy. I promise I'm a legit person pharmacist and woman.

I am just going to play devil's advocate here for a second. A bit of disbelief is natural. You just joined the forum after how many years in the pharmacy profession? Most of the people on here, myself included, have been quietly reading discussions since the time we were preparing for the PCAT and eventually, became members. I wasn't very active in the community until I was studying for the NAPLEX. Typically, trolls show up with a life defining question, are brand new to the forum, therefore, they have not made any contributions to discussions and 9 times out of 10, the assumption they're trolls is proven correct. I am not accusing you. I am just giving you an observation.

Do have history of trolls. A company offering a PHARMACIST a position outside the pharmacy after laying off is pretty unheard of, or at least to me it is. Not saying it's impossible, but hope that you can how that can raise an eyebrow or two. Also, a pharmacist being on call is not usual unless you're doing home infusion pharmacy or certain hospitals who don't employ GY pharmacists and need to make an IV drip in the middle of the night, those are only circumstances when I heard of such as thing. Also, working 80 hrs a week isn't common either. Not saying that you're making it up, just those two facts make people skeptical.

Very interesting. Glad for everyone else's sake that my story isn't the norm. The month before I left my last job I was working 80 hours a week (about 24 hrs-36 hrs of that was oncall ). I would work 12-14hr shifts and then be oncall till 8am then next day and then work another 12-14hr shift and then be oncall again. I barely slept those nights it was rough. We were understaffed because they had just fired another pharmacist for making errors. I'm not sure how many of his errors were due to the lack of staffing. Anyway I'm glad this isn't the norm.

I'm so sorry. I really feel your pain. My best advice as you are waiting for a full time gig is network at the local pharmacy conferences and/or get a job teaching at a tech school or teach pharmacology at a nursing school. It will help you feel more involved in your career.

I am just going to play devil's advocate here for a second. A bit of disbelief is natural. You just joined the forum after how many years in the pharmacy profession? Most of the people on here, myself included, have been quietly reading discussions since the time we were preparing for the PCAT and eventually, became members. I wasn't very active in the community until I was studying for the NAPLEX. Typically, trolls show up with a life defining question, are brand new to the forum, therefore, they have not made any contributions to discussions and 9 times out of 10, the assumption they're trolls is proven correct. I am not accusing you. I am just giving you an observation.

Interesting, I was unaware of any of that. I can see why people are mean. You don't know who is and isn't a troll. It's sad that this can't be a place of support. I'm going to respectful quit this forum now. Definitely not what I need right now. Lesson learned.

Warning to pharmacists in NYC: be wary of a headhunter named Arshad Javaid and Payless Staffing. The dude finds pharmacists for independents to hire, but only pays them $25-35/hr (the pharmacies pay him $50/hr and he takes the rest).

Reactions: 3 users
Very interesting. Glad for everyone else's sake that my story isn't the norm. The month before I left my last job I was working 80 hours a week (about 24 hrs-36 hrs of that was oncall ). I would work 12-14hr shifts and then be oncall till 8am then next day and then work another 12-14hr shift and then be oncall again. I barely slept those nights it was rough. We were understaffed because they had just fired another pharmacist for making errors. I'm not sure how many of his errors were due to the lack of staffing. Anyway I'm glad this isn't the norm.

You were a retail Pharmacy manager that worked 24-36 hours of overnight "on call"

Sure.

Literally nobody believes you

I’ve never heard of a retail pharmacist being on call, especially overnight. Most retail pharmacists I know are more than capable of running the pharmacy throughout a shift without having to call their pharmacy manager.

What are we missing?

Not so sure about this one but I can verify grads this year taking offers that low- an independent offered me $40/ hr then changed their minds to $37 and then the day I was supposed to start they let me know the accountant vetoed the hire, which was suspicious because the person who offered me the job was the owner. Sadly.... not the worst- another person from my graduating class took an offer for $25 an hour (she has zero student loans, and parents pay the bills so she doesn't have the pressing need for money most of us do). The owner of that pharmacy has absolutely zero background in pharmacy, and has zero respect for the profession clearly but is looking for a pharmacist with 6 years experience and bilingual to kick start their ALF contracts. Another classmate is working in clothing retail while they wait for a job offer. The profession definitely isn't the same as it was when I first decided on it =/.

lmao I do not believe you for a second.

lmao I do not believe you for a second.
Oh the position I'm referring to is very much real, and easily found on the state job board, with the salary range included. They aren't getting experienced applyers obviously, but as a recent grad who knows many recent grads still looking, I know several people who have applied to it.

Oh the position I'm referring to is very much real, and easily found on the state job board, with the salary range included. They aren't getting experienced applyers obviously, but as a recent grad who knows many recent grads still looking, I know several people who have applied to it.

I'm sure

Project management at FDA or Pharma is one thing you can do as a pharmacist if you're done with pharmacy.
Very difficult to get in with out experience or knowing someone in the inside.

Very difficult to get in with out experience or knowing someone in the inside.

I can't speak to pharma project management jobs, but with FDA, getting a PM job if you're a pharmacist is not that difficult. It always helps to know someone, but it's more about timing than anything. E.g., when GDUFA first passed back in 2012, OGD were hiring pharmacists for PM positions left and right regardless of experience/connections. Even right now, if you don't have any connections at all at FDA you can still submit an application on USAJobs and hope for the best (the postings on USAJobs for FDA pharmacist positions don't specifically say they are PM positions - they are general postings for several different vacancies that can be filled with pharmacists, including PM positions). Either way, you have to be willing to work in Silver Spring, MD for most FDA PM jobs - some folks are located out in the field, but most field positions for pharmacists are Consumer Safety Officer positions (conducting field investigations/inspections). There are actually several vacancies for CSO positions all over the country right now that pharmacists qualify for. Again, it helps to know someone, but just the knowledge and experience you have from your PharmD can get your foot in the door. Just expect to start at a lower pay grade if you don't have any relevant experience at all.

Sadly a pharamd doesn't transfer to alot of other industries. Hell in retail, customers can't tell the pharmacist from a tech. Most people don't know what a pharmacist does and thus they don't value them. You might switch to business and work for a drug company. Or you can work for a health organization. The problem with the job market today is that employers expect employees to come pretrained and know how to do the job. Which makes it difficult to switch careers.

I knew all this. Sounds like I'm going to have pull in my best connections. Pray no screw up lol. EDIT: I don't screw up. People of worth know this

Maybe go back to school. If H1B shenanigans are fixed, should be new tech jobs aplenty for those who can make it

Last edited:
Maybe go back to school. If H1B shenanigans are fixed, should be new tech jobs aplenty for those who can make it

There are tons of open tech jobs despite H1Bs. Demand for workers in tech is very high compared to that for pharmacists.