Jan 16, 2021
Hi, I graduated back in 2017! Recently I accepted an offer for a full time pharmacist position in community pharmacy and started training, and it is my first pharmacist job. Some personal issues came up and I need to leave the position or find a position with less time commitment. How bad would it be for my future?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

rxkrafted

7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
pretty bad considering this is your first pharmacist job after graduating 3 years ago.... tbh im quite surprised how you even got hired

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

johnpharm01

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hi, I graduated back in 2017! Recently I accepted an offer for a full time pharmacist position in community pharmacy and started training, and it is my first pharmacist job. Some personal issues came up and I need to leave the position or find a position with less time commitment. How bad would it be for my future?
That's a question no one has the answer to. If the market is as bad (or worse) than it is now you may not find a job. Do it only if you have to.

About the Ads

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
You had a 3.5 year gap on your resume, you've trained for like a week or two and now you plan to quit?

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
  2. Academic Administration
You had a 3.5 year gap on your resume, you've trained for like a week or two and now you plan to quit?
Not only do I agree, I think it would be a death sentence to any future employer. You're not going to convince them that you are a anything but a bad risk.

Reactions: 4 users

PharmtoCS

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Personal issues are personal issues, but with your employment history if you leave this job, you can expect to never work another day in your life as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student

I imagine if there was an unwritten law about obtaining a professional degree, not using it for nearly 4 years, then finally getting your first job placement only to quit can only equal a forfeit of any opportunities you would ever have. It sounds fortunate you even got this job.

I don't know your story and perhaps quitting the job may actually be best for you (again I don't know), but if you choose to opt out just realize you have chosen your personal commitments over your license and career and any future hopes of working again.

This is coming from a nontraditional student who made a career change so take my statements however you wish. Either way I do hope the best for you on what you need at this time.

RxAndroid

PharmDroid/Druggist
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2015
Purgatory
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I don't understand...why would someone go to college for 6+ years, take on a significant amount of debt/students loans, then only want to work part time?
Hell, I'm sure you could get something to fit if you joined the covid vaccinators...lot of floaters in my area have taken a liking too (less commitment, less stressful environment)

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I would keep that job no matter what. I can't imagine what personal issue suddenly came up, that you didn't have when you accepted the job, but now you do have. If your personal issues are health, do your absolute best to work through them. If your personal issues are relationship, deal with them on your off hours--chances are your partner will leave you anyway, and they you will be stuck without a job. If they are childcare, call everyone you know, ask what your co-workers do, there is certainly some solution to the issue.

You would be better off asking for suggestions on how to deal with working full-time and your personal issue. As other's have said, if you quit, it will be unlikely you ever work in pharmacy again, and it will be very hard to get any job at all.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.