pharmacist compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceguy19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like being a pharmacist is a pretty sweet deal these days.

140K in many metropolitan areas.

Compare that to salary of pathologist in academia!! And they don't have to do med school, pathology residency, and pathology fellowships. and can also work only 40 hours a week. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Compare that to salary of pathologist in academia!! And they don't have to do med school, pathology residency, and pathology fellowships. and can also work only 40 hours a week. lol

apples to oranges.....you can't compare one type of job in field A to another type of job in field B.

If you want to compare a grinder psychiatrist in retail pharm to a pathologist, compare it to a pathologist out there in the community who is churning and burning through pod labs so quick he can't even take a bathroom break. Or compare a pharmacist at an academic medical center to a pathologist in academia. but you can't compare an academic pathologist to a retail pharmacist.....unfair.

Retail pharmacists also generally have to work odd hours, weekends, holidays, etc. They also deal with drug-seeking patients and fake prescriptions. They are on the phone with insurance companies and doctor's offices all day. Hospital pharmacists generally start a little below $100K, but yes they can do so at age 24 right out of school. It's a stable, well-paying job. But there's no way I'd ever do that over path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy is more oversupplied than pathology. They have 3 schools in my state producing WAY too many grads. Guarantee you that there are far more unemployed pharmacists than pathologists. Retail pharmacy looks like a miserable job, worse than a pathology slide mill.

Study math. Become an actuary.

Pharmacy is more oversupplied than pathology. They have 3 schools in my state producing WAY too many grads. Guarantee you that there are far more unemployed pharmacists than pathologists. Retail pharmacy looks like a miserable job, worse than a pathology slide mill.

Study math. Become an actuary.

It's interesting you say that. Math-related jobs, outside of academics, are plentiful, probably because math skills are rarely innate in people and require a lot of time - more than most people would tolerate - to foster.

On a macro-economic scale, one of the big reasons for the glut of specialized professional labor is the lack of good opportunities for domestic manufacturing and trades; aka the "made in China" effect. Many people who, years ago when such opportunities existed, would have gotten good jobs straight out of high-school are now going further and further into the educational abyss, devaluing the education in the process due to oversupply. The pattern started to affect the worth of the bachelor's degree, then the doctorate degree, and now its spilling over to the professional degree side, as evidenced by difficulties encountered by physicians, lawyers and pharmacists in securing gainful work that not even ten years ago would have been a non-issue.

Becoming a physician, lawyer and pharmacist is a joke. Anyone can do it.

Math and physics on the other hand are much more difficult and the demand will always be there. Math related jobs are open all over the place where I live. The ethnicity of the town has changed dramatically as asians have replaced the white folks, which is fine with me. I tend to like asian women better myself. :love:

But who knows, solar flares could hit the earth and put us back into the 1700s. Better make sure you have survival skills as well. :pirate:

Math and physics on the other hand are much more difficult and the demand will always be there. Math related jobs are open all over the place where I live. The ethnicity of the town has changed dramatically as asians have replaced the white folks, which is fine with me. I tend to like asian women better myself. :love:

But who knows, solar flares could hit the earth and put us back into the 1700s. Better make sure you have survival skills as well. :pirate:
I wouldn't call it a joke, but it is true that anyone can become a physician. It just stakes willingness to sit there and study for 10 hours day.

But I do agree that to be a PhD in Physics or Mathematics, you need god-given ability just like becoming a professional athlete or musician or dancer.

I hope you are being facetious. If not, with all my due respect, this statement disturbs me a lot because the opposite is so self-evident.

We should aim and strive for the highest. The idea of lowering your bar based on a "perceived" financial advantage disturbs me. Moreover, we doctors should feel fortunate for what we are able to achieve and do in our lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone can also be the most brilliant physicist in the world. All it takes is having the highest IQ of any human ever born.

Can anyone become a physician? No. Most people don't have the willpower, just like most don't have the intelligence and fortitude to start their own business. Don't devalue your achievement or the unique set of traits that allowed you to achieve what you have.

Please, becoming a physician is MUCH easier than a PhD in Math or Physics. All you have to do is put in the work to become a physician and study all the time. A good memory is all it takes. Math and Physics require creativity which not everyone has.

If you dont believe that anyone can become a physician, go down the doctors lounge and talk to the Gas Men.....

Please, becoming a physician is MUCH easier than a PhD in Math or Physics. All you have to do is put in the work to become a physician and study all the time.

Any achievement can be downplayed once it has already been accomplished. The vast majority of physicians would state that it is NOT easy to get a high GPA and MCAT score in undergrad, excel in extracurricular activities while contributing what little spare time you have to volunteering or doing whatever health care humanitarian related activity in order to make your med school application stand out, get through the first round of med school interviews let alone getting accepted, four years of medical school: two of which your nose is buried in the books to pass exams, the other two spent engaging in rounding, pimping, more testing, and being evaluated in specialties most which you’re not interested in and only one of which you will make a career out of, then graduating med school, followed by doing residency for three - seven years which demand you to acquire expertise in your field to practice independently and become board certified. All this to go into massive debt, sacrifice your twenties and possibly early thirties for career. Many try and succeed, but there are also many who don’t…To call this easy or a joke is like any NFL player saying it’s easy to get to and win the Super Bowl.

A good memory is all it takes. Math and Physics require creativity which not everyone has.

A good memory helps, but it takes more than rote memorization to be a doctor. What about the neurosurgeon operating on a case of a massive bleed while the patient has rising intracranial pressure and progressively becomes unstable. Do they risk a life saving procedure with variable odds vs the chance of permanent brain damage? Or the psychiatrist under testimony of a grand jury whose expert evaluation of an individual could mean the difference between letting a psychopath out on the streets vs a chance of a rehabilitated person deserving a second chance in society? Or even a primary care physician during an office visit from a patient with a persistent upper respiratory tract infection and they must balance which one or two medications to select out of a myriad available which would be the most efficacious while causing the fewest side effects given the patient's symptoms, comorbidities and likelihood of interaction with other medications they are on. And finally, the pathologist who has a few worrisome cells on a thoracentesis in a patient with lymphadenopathy, pleural thickening, but no history of malignancy or primary mass detected on imaging. Their interpretation could mean the difference between radiation, chemo, cracking open the patient’s chest, routine follow up, or none of the above. Medicine may be considered a science but there is certainly an element of creativity and judgment that goes beyond memorizing a bunch of books which contributes to the “Art & Science” of its practice.

If you dont believe that anyone can become a physician, go down the doctors lounge and talk to the Gas Men.....

There always have been and always will be people who slip through the cracks and we’ve all met them. The kind who make you wonder how the hell did they become a doctor, let alone get into med school. The relative ignorance or luck of a few in our medicine doesn’t account for the overall aptitude and commitment of others.

Math related jobs are open all over the place where I live. The ethnicity of the town has changed dramatically as asians have replaced the white folks, which is fine with me. I tend to like asian women better myself. :love:

Yes, because we all know how many hot asian women out there that are college professors, engineers, and physicists… But, if you’ve got yellow fever that much, I’d recommend you go to Thailand or the Philippines.

Last edited:
Many of the asian countries are too humid. No interest in going there. Lungs can't handle humidity anymore.

Every job requires some judgement. Who cares? The crossing guards I saw today leading children across the road have to make decisions. Do we cross now or wait? What should I do about this dog that is hanging around the kids? LOL. Wasn't saying that a physician's work isn't important. It obviously is.

The issue is what is more difficult-becoming a physician or Phd in Math/Physics. I vote for the latter and I base this off my undergraduate years when I majored in computer science. There were students who blew me away with their intellect and creativity. Med school not so much.

Last edited:
Please, becoming a physician is MUCH easier than a PhD in Math or Physics. All you have to do is put in the work to become a physician and study all the time. A good memory is all it takes. Math and Physics require creativity which not everyone has.

Lol, agreed. There are substantially more people with the whereabouts to become a physician than a physicist or mathematician. A high IQ is MUCH rarer than a good work ethic, and a good work ethic (along with slightly above avg IQ) is all you need to do well in medicine. Anyone who doesn't see this has obviously never taken an upper level physics or math class at a respectable university. It is painfully obvious who is smart and who is not when you are sitting around with a bunch of engineers trying to figure out thermo or quantum problems. The smart people can roll in with minimal studying and solve them as if it's obvious to everyone in the room what the answer is. The dumber people will not be able to wrap their heads around the answer even if you gave them a week. Funny thing is the dumber people are usually the ones that go on to become medical doctors, lol.
On the flip side, there is not a single concept in medicine that people cannot understand if explained. Everything is at most one-step logic.

Medicine is a Trade not a Science. Therefore, not an appropriate comparison.

Then I recommend to attend this year's keynote speaker at the CAP '14 meeting which combines the best of both worlds for you. He's a P.h.D physicist from Harvard & Princeton and #1 bestselling author on the New York Times list. And bonus...he's Asian!

http://thepathologistsmeeting.org/spotlight-event-reception.html?msource=249001

I will have to pass. Days of working are winding down.

He looks like a long hair. He will fit in with all those Groovy Pathologists. :laugh:

Speaking of asian people, I wish they would do something about Fukushima. That is a terribly under-reported story.

The issue is what is more difficult-becoming a physician or Phd in Math/Physics. I vote for the latter and I base this off my undergraduate years when I majored in computer science. There were students who blew me away with their intellect and creativity. Med school not so much.

I am a physician and my wife is a physicist. My MD was more grueling but I would say that her PhD and postdoc were as difficult and stressful in a very different way, requiring constant creativity using a very complicated set of tools under a lot of time pressure. The rewards weren't great, though. Her PhD and postdoc took as many years as my MD + residency, but there isn't a huge job market for people with her training. She spent a few years in an awful professor job which she was one of several hundred people who applied for, and then quit for engineering--which she had to teach herself. She sometimes wishes she had done an MD.

Yes, because we all know how many hot asian women out there that are college professors, engineers, and physicists…

I do know a significant number.