Pharmacist in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honest Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello greetings all the Student doctors community. I have done my Pharm D here in Pakistan. i want to come to US, but i dont know how to apply and come there and work as board certified pharmacist. kindly any one out there help me thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mubarak ho

Stay in Pakistan yaar, you don't want to come here

You missed this train by about 10 years. We have a surplus of pharmacists here. American Americans are having problems getting employed. Stay in Pakistan.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st step is getting your FPGEE done. Then naplex + internship hours etc. The big road blocks are the FPGEE exam (offered just twice a year) + internship hours (might have to do it for free) and lastly getting sponsored a visa to work as a Pharmacist in the states (nearly impossible to get these days).

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother going through this process if you aren't a US PR/citizen.

Reactions: 1 users
What torontopharm said, although coming from Pakistan, your first step will be the TOEFL (English equivilancy exam.)

As stated, work visas for pharmacists are currently non-existent (a few places are renewing, but nobody is sponsoring new workers.) If you are not already a legal resident, or able to obtain legal residency via non-work methods (ie family), it is unlikely that you will be able to work in the US as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it's very realistic to try for a US based job right now as an international graduate unless you have a work visa lined up. The international students (who graduated from US pharmacy schools recently) I knew who needed visas haven't been able to find employers willing to sponsor them yet. They have otherwise been excellent candidates for jobs, and willing to work in the boondocks...

The job market just isn't tight enough right now that employers want to take on the extra hassle of a visa.

Reactions: 1 user