Pharmacist looking for some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take the better location or tough it out?

• Total voters

ReallyAznGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started working as a pharmacist for the army. The benefits, hours, and team are all amazing. However, the location is less than desirable and my plan was to eventually try to transfer to the dc metro area for another base when there is an opening. I honestly do not see these positions having a high turnover rate so I may be stuck where I am for the long haul.

Recently, I got the opportunity to able to work at a hospital in the DC metro area who happens to employ quite a few of my friends from when I worked at CVS. The downside is that it is a part time posting with roughly 20 guaranteed hours per week which I could always supplement by going back to CVS. Good news is I will be moving back in with my parents so money will be a non factor.

Members don't see this ad.

As a civilian? If so, if you quit before your first year (especially within six months of Service Computation), you will get something called a Resignation ILIA (In Lieu of Action) on your very final SF-50 as a Notice of Action (colloquially known as a 312ed). That disqualifies you for civil service for the rest of your life. If as an officer, you didn't read your contract properly.

And no, you won't get an easy chance to the National Capital Region. Commissioned Corps, who get paid less than you do, get the assignments to DC more often as that is a common rotation assignment.

Stick it out at least a year so you get a 317 and not a 312 for a standard resignation not subject to probationary year.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am a civilian but did not know about the 312 thing. It does sound to me like I'll have no chance to ever transfer though. Also it does sound like if location is more important to me than ever working in the government ever again then maybe I could talk myself into taking the new job.

Last edited:
You should tough it out. Make a good impression with the AD command team. Army pharmacy is a very small world, and active duty is always moving around. If an opening does come up and you want to apply, there’s a good chance that your current leadership will know someone at the base you want to apply to.
There are always openings at military bases around the world. The more connections you have, the easier it is to get the job you want.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow thank you both. You've really given me some things I haven't thought about and some really good information.

I recently started working as a pharmacist for the army. The benefits, hours, and team are all amazing. However, the location is less than desirable and my plan was to eventually try to transfer to the dc metro area for another base when there is an opening. I honestly do not see these positions having a high turnover rate so I may be stuck where I am for the long haul.

Recently, I got the opportunity to able to work at a hospital in the DC metro area who happens to employ quite a few of my friends from when I worked at CVS. The downside is that it is a part time posting with roughly 20 guaranteed hours per week which I could always supplement by going back to CVS. Good news is I will be moving back in with my parents so money will be a non factor.
Unless the army base is on Diego Garcia I would stick it out. Who moves back home unless it is to take care of their parents? It's a little hard to have a life at least mine and have my parents there.

Reactions: 1 user

I would stay around if its a federal job. Total compensation and lifestyle I hear is good. Its tough if your parents need you though. Do they need you right now or maybe give the transfer a few years?
As a civilian? If so, if you quit before your first year (especially within six months of Service Computation), you will get something called a Resignation ILIA (In Lieu of Action) on your very final SF-50 as a Notice of Action (colloquially known as a 312ed). That disqualifies you for civil service for the rest of your life. If as an officer, you didn't read your contract properly.

And no, you won't get an easy chance to the National Capital Region. Commissioned Corps, who get paid less than you do, get the assignments to DC more often as that is a common rotation assignment.

Stick it out at least a year so you get a 317 and not a 312 for a standard resignation not subject to probationary year.
Are the DoD/Army/Navy USAjobs.gov locations-vacancies usually for real? Been thinking about it. Says "many vacancies" in exotic locations....Japan,Hawaii,Bahrain,Italy,California....

I would stay around if its a federal job. Total compensation and lifestyle I hear is good. Its tough if your parents need you though. Do they need you right now or maybe give the transfer a few years?

Are the DoD/Army/Navy USAjobs.gov locations-vacancies usually for real? Been thinking about it. Says "many vacancies" in exotic locations....Japan,Hawaii,Bahrain,Italy,California....
It's less about me and my parents but the biggest push is coming from my wife. She wants children but wants to be near both of our parents at the same time.

The vacancies is kind of a crap shoot
They all say open vacancy and somehow 1 of the bases just happend to have an opening so they called me out of the blue and interviewed me right then and there.

I would stick it out for a year, so you aren't marked unrehirable. I understand the temptation.....but you have a loooooong life ahead of you. Your future you, will want you to keep all of your options available. With hospitals system mergers, and with retail mergers, there aren't that many employers of pharmacists, especially when you are looking at a specific geographical area. It is easy to say now that you would never want to work for the military again......but in 20 years, the landscape will be completely different. Whenever possible, keep your options open.

Reactions: 1 users

On the USAJobs.gov locations, no. Unless you have prior DoD experience, you get rotated through the bad spots (Alabama, Idaho, etc.) before you are even considered. If you did it around the time you licensed, you would have had your pick. One of my classmates got Anzio and still is there to ski outside her shift (which she admirably got as well as a husband with the same obsession) and another took Yokosuka and was Chief there before promoting to USAID based out of Tokyo.

Diego Garcia is not considered to be a bad site, just a hardship as you can't leave due to logistics. Try Fort Polk, Louisiana or Fort Bliss, El Paso.

As for the Op, transferring into the National Capital Region is not easy due to the rotation assignments. If you are offered one, I would be very worried about why it was being offered down the civilian line as the good assignments are taken up by Commissioned Corps. You absolutely need to perform well for one year, and preferably get to Career status at three (though you don't have to spend all three in one spot, but you do for the one year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Rarely do I listen to internet strangers for advice but I gained some really good information here. I did decide to tough it out til my probationary period is up then I'll quit if my wife really wants to move home and I can't find anything then I will simply quit and hope for the best.

They almost ALWAYS have every single job location posted but almost none of those locations actually need people.
Welcome to the current pharmacist job market. Employers are hiring pharmacists in my area 41 to 60 dollars an hour unless you are a director or oncology clinical spec. This is even though their is a dearth of employees due ti the pandemic. You can get paid 16 dollars an hour to work at Panda Express after being hired on the spot.

The generic job posting that lists many vacancies under a bunch of various locations are not really for real. If you want an OCONUS location, you’ll have to find a job posting for that location specifically. You might see a job posting for a location in Germany maybe 1-2 times a year. We actually had 5 job postings for Germany last year. Korea is usually 1-2 per year. I haven’t seen Japan posted that often, but it does come up. I’ve never seen a job posting for Bahrain though.

On the USAJobs.gov locations, no. Unless you have prior DoD experience, you get rotated through the bad spots (Alabama, Idaho, etc.) before you are even considered. If you did it around the time you licensed, you would have had your pick. One of my classmates got Anzio and still is there to ski outside her shift (which she admirably got as well as a husband with the same obsession) and another took Yokosuka and was Chief there before promoting to USAID based out of Tokyo.

Diego Garcia is not considered to be a bad site, just a hardship as you can't leave due to logistics. Try Fort Polk, Louisiana or Fort Bliss, El Paso.

As for the Op, transferring into the National Capital Region is not easy due to the rotation assignments. If you are offered one, I would be very worried about why it was being offered down the civilian line as the good assignments are taken up by Commissioned Corps. You absolutely need to perform well for one year, and preferably get to Career status at three (though you don't have to spend all three in one spot, but you do for the one year).
Fort Polk and Bliss doesnt sound too bad actually. I hear El Paso has great food and I am pretty sure I can transfer there for WM, there are a ton of stores there for some reason? I am guessing because no HEB. It is now on my radar! haha
They almost ALWAYS have every single job location posted but almost none of those locations actually need people.
What is a good way to get into federal? IHS? Those AZ locations for IHS don't look too bad either. Do my time in BFE IHS or DOD and transfer later? I keep putting it off because I know I am getting a pretty good deal at my current retail.
The generic job posting that lists many vacancies under a bunch of various locations are not really for real. If you want an OCONUS location, you’ll have to find a job posting for that location specifically. You might see a job posting for a location in Germany maybe 1-2 times a year. We actually had 5 job postings for Germany last year. Korea is usually 1-2 per year. I haven’t seen Japan posted that often, but it does come up. I’ve never seen a job posting for Bahrain though.
Is CONUS easier? Looking for hints of what would be the simplest stations to get into...Polk, Bliss, Drum, Huachuca, Yuma maybe?

Fort Polk and Bliss doesnt sound too bad actually. I hear El Paso has great food and I am pretty sure I can transfer there for WM, there are a ton of stores there for some reason? I am guessing because no HEB. It is now on my radar! haha

What is a good way to get into federal? IHS? Those AZ locations for IHS don't look too bad either. Do my time in BFE IHS or DOD and transfer later? I keep putting it off because I know I am getting a pretty good deal at my current retail.

Is CONUS easier? Looking for hints of what would be the simplest stations to get into...Polk, Bliss, Drum, Huachuca, Yuma maybe?

I really don't have much experience dealing with federal agencies other than VA. I did get offered a job working for the Army but they lowballed my salary offer so I walked away (after jumping through all the hoops, physical, drug test, etc). If you're watching USAJobs, I'd probably just ignore any job posting with less than 10 days on it. In those cases, some of them just 3-5 days, the place already has a person they want for the job, they just have to post it.

I really don't have much experience dealing with federal agencies other than VA. I did get offered a job working for the Army but they lowballed my salary offer so I walked away (after jumping through all the hoops, physical, drug test, etc). If you're watching USAJobs, I'd probably just ignore any job posting with less than 10 days on it. In those cases, some of them just 3-5 days, the place already has a person they want for the job, they just have to post it.
Not necessarily. For Direct Hire, you are OBLIGATED to read all applications within a certain timeframe. So many limit it to the "First 50" or only a couple of days as we're flooded with applications. You should ignore any technical grade or clinical supervisory job unless you know better.

This is a far cry from the days a decade ago where you would get maybe three applications for a position open for a month.

Sigh on the Army offer if you are a vet. That's easily appealable and whoever did that was a complete idiot, so you might not have wanted to work for them even on appeal. HR was not supposed to screw that up.

El Paso isn't a bad place to live if you don't mind the cross-border pollution issues, but there is the problem of the base specifically. Ft. Bliss has a sexual assault problem almost as bad as Ft. Hood (as in the ACIC has a permanent presence at Bliss for the past two years). I wouldn't go there as a woman, and I personally know some of the problem people are legacies of the stars. I thought you were trying to get out of pharmacy...

Not necessarily. For Direct Hire, you are OBLIGATED to read all applications within a certain timeframe. So many limit it to the "First 50" or only a couple of days as we're flooded with applications. You should ignore any technical grade or clinical supervisory job unless you know better.

This is a far cry from the days a decade ago where you would get maybe three applications for a position open for a month.

Sigh on the Army offer if you are a vet. That's easily appealable and whoever did that was a complete idiot, so you might not have wanted to work for them even on appeal. HR was not supposed to screw that up.

El Paso isn't a bad place to live if you don't mind the cross-border pollution issues, but there is the problem of the base specifically. Ft. Bliss has a sexual assault problem almost as bad as Ft. Hood (as in the ACIC has a permanent presence at Bliss for the past two years). I wouldn't go there as a woman, and I personally know some of the problem people are legacies of the stars. I thought you were trying to get out of pharmacy...

It was odd. I actually appealed the offer with their HR but my request was "denied." It sounded like a great gig and it was at Ft Sam Houston. I love San Antonio.

CONUS is a lot easier simply because there are more opportunities. OCONUS clinics are either staffed with 1 AD officer, or 1 FT civ for the most part. Some may have 1 of each. Although we are starting to move away from having an OIC in the clinics and the hospital, that really only opens up one spot for a civilian. We had 2 openings at LRMC last year and there were over 200 hundred applicants. It’s definitely possible to get hired OCONUS without having been in the federal system, but the stars would have to align perfectly if you’re not prior military.
Best advice I can give is to just apply for every opening that comes up. If you get an interview, that’s your chance to shine.

I was trying till covid really ramped up last year and I have been swamped with work. Been racking up the miles floating long distance, which I enjoy. I guess I just feel bad leaving behind the only career I know, trying to explore more parts of pharmacy I guess.
CONUS is a lot easier simply because there are more opportunities. OCONUS clinics are either staffed with 1 AD officer, or 1 FT civ for the most part. Some may have 1 of each. Although we are starting to move away from having an OIC in the clinics and the hospital, that really only opens up one spot for a civilian. We had 2 openings at LRMC last year and there were over 200 hundred applicants. It’s definitely possible to get hired OCONUS without having been in the federal system, but the stars would have to align perfectly if you’re not prior military.
Best advice I can give is to just apply for every opening that comes up. If you get an interview, that’s your chance to shine.
CONUS it is then..

Since I am choosing to stay. What are some options for me after my probationary year? As far as I can tell I can try to go for the GS12 roles (supervisor, clinical pharmacist). I honestly don't think lightning will strike twice with me getting a hospital gig in NOVA unless I transfer to a MEDCEN before applying to another hospital.

Since I am choosing to stay. What are some options for me after my probationary year? As far as I can tell I can try to go for the GS12 roles (supervisor, clinical pharmacist). I honestly don't think lightning will strike twice with me getting a hospital gig in NOVA unless I transfer to a MEDCEN before applying to another hospital.
You're an 11? Hope you didn't buy property where you're at. I'd recommend you try for the HHS 12's if you're that low. You don't need to wait for the end of the probationary year as you are beneath 12 (beneath usual entry grade).

NIH

You're an 11? Hope you didn't buy property where you're at. I'd recommend you try for the HHS 12's if you're that low. You don't need to wait for the end of the probationary year as you are beneath 12 (beneath usual entry grade).

NIH
So should I take the hospital gig then? I'm 11 but with the retainment and locality my pay ends up supposedly similar to the 12s. As far as I can tell I'm paid the same as when I was at CVS in the dc metro area (120k). Or are you simply recommending I get into a gs 12 asap.

So should I take the hospital gig then? I'm 11 but with the retainment and locality my pay ends up supposedly similar to the 12s. As far as I can tell I'm paid the same as when I was at CVS in the dc metro area (120k). Or are you simply recommending I get into a gs 12 asap.
Get to a 12 ASAP. 11's are undergraded.

In the DoD and IHS yes except for technical grades, not in the other agencies. However, across the Sound, that VA is lots of fun, but the clinic on your side is pretty chill.

Well there's no way for OP to "get to a 12 ASAP" without transferring agencies or taking a sup position... both are so much easier said then done!

Pharmacy is a dead profession because pharmacists like me are killing it.

Pharmacy is a dead profession because pharmacists like me are killing it.

Pharmacists who would rather settle for quiet desperation, than for what they deserve, are indeed what is killing this profession. But to be fair, it is not unreasonable. I am guilty of this myself.