Pharmacist Navy/Prior Enlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am getting out of the Navy next month and plan on going back to school. My goal is to finish Pharmacy school when I am about 29-30 as I am 23 right now and look at military as 2nd option if the civilian job outlook is bleak. What are my chances of getting comissioned with all the different programs as I don't know much about the acceptance rate in OCS, HSCP. In general I want to be working in a mostly hospital setting. I know things will change is 6-7 years but could you give me ideas and advice based off present and past experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on which avenue you want to take. I'm assuming you are looking at active duty pharmacists vice reserves. And I'll assume you want to go into a student program. Based on those assumptions, the numbers for this year look like this: As of April 2nd, HSCP was closed and only accepted 5 slots for the entire nation. For the next couple of years, the numbers for HSCP don't look any more promising. This may change in a couple of years, but I wouldn't count on HSCP as a very viable option for Pharmacy School.

You could use your GI bill to offset or pay for Pharmacy School and then apply for a Direct Access position, but they only accepted 1 (yes one!) this year, and the reserves only accepted 2 (and you'd have to have experience for that anyway). In short, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but counting on coming back into the Navy as a Pharmacist simply doesn't look feasible for the next couple of years.

These numbers are straight from the Program Manager spreadsheet and are current as of April.

If you want to consider other programs, such as Health Care Administrator or certain types of Nursing, then the numbers look much better. Again, I'm assuming you aren't considering medical school or being a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for those stats, I figured they weren't pretty good so am not entirely relying or basing my goal off that. My question for what you said in the 2nd post is, could I get in a different type of med field as a Pharmacy school grad? Or does it require me to complete a different major or grad program? ALSO where do you get these stats!! I cannot find them anywhere and I haven't contacted a recruiter yet.

You would need a different major to a different field, unless of course you wanted to be a pilot or surface warfare officer. But getting a Pharmacy degree wouldn't make much sense for that.

See this link: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...affCorps/Documents/PA_115_MSC_AC_RC_DEC11.pdf It outlines all of the requirements for the 31 sub specialties of the Navy's Medical Service Corps (Doctors and Nurses are in other PAs). Keep in mind that the PA only outlines the requirements and doesn't mention the actual yearly availability of the programs.

I am a medical recruiter, so I got the numbers above directly from the Program Manager update. I don't think they are necessarily available to the public.

My recommendation would be to concentrate your field of study around the requirements of that program. If you want to know the programs that have the highest quota for the year, I can PM you that as well.

Read the countless posts on the forum. Use the search function. Ignore recruiters. Wait to research your situation until its much closer. Ignore recruiters.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the countless posts on the forum. Use the search function. Ignore recruiters. Wait to research your situation until its much closer. Ignore recruiters.

USNR_Medicine,

there is a common theme in the forum of mistrust bordering on hostility toward recruiters. unfortunately, the track record of your predecessors is not great-- the path on which you currently tread is littered with the decaying bones of those who came before. like pirates hung in cages at the harbor entry, it should hopefully let you know the environment here. the baseline opinion of the population is skewed by their encounters with other recruiters, and though you may very well be different than the rest it will take some time for you to establish that. as evidence, you can find some previous recruiter threads and long since abandoned accounts-- typically things go ok until some of the party sales pitches come out.

i think recruiters are a good resource for the board, if nothing more than to add in the "official" stance in cases where it may be in question regarding the signup process and rules/regs governing it. hopefully you stick around and can contribute to the forum and help people make informed decisions about their options. for some light background reading you can use the "search" function and see where things have gone awry in the past.

i may even add a sticky as a "guide to recruiters" or something similar. can't hurt. i'm sure this forum has some kind of visibility in the recruiting world (where all the secret data you mentioned in your post is kept) if for no other reason than we are in the top 4 google hits for hpsp and military medicine related searches. we are the longest lived independent community that people can utilize, and i hope if nothing else creates a more educated HPSP student body. this forum did not exist for my generation (i lurked in 1999, joined in 2000, by then my fate was sealed) but i like to think if it had we'd have avoided a lot of disgruntled embittered doctors. at least to the degree that lies and misrepresentations contribute to the embitteredness, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood you need a thick skin but please stick around caveman

USNR_Medicine,

there is a common theme in the forum of mistrust bordering on hostility toward recruiters. unfortunately, the track record of your predecessors is not great-- the path on which you currently tread is littered with the decaying bones of those who came before. like pirates hung in cages at the harbor entry, it should hopefully let you know the environment here. the baseline opinion of the population is skewed by their encounters with other recruiters, and though you may very well be different than the rest it will take some time for you to establish that. as evidence, you can find some previous recruiter threads and long since abandoned accounts-- typically things go ok until some of the party sales pitches come out.

i think recruiters are a good resource for the board, if nothing more than to add in the "official" stance in cases where it may be in question regarding the signup process and rules/regs governing it. hopefully you stick around and can contribute to the forum and help people make informed decisions about their options. for some light background reading you can use the "search" function and see where things have gone awry in the past.

i may even add a sticky as a "guide to recruiters" or something similar. can't hurt. i'm sure this forum has some kind of visibility in the recruiting world (where all the secret data you mentioned in your post is kept) if for no other reason than we are in the top 4 google hits for hpsp and military medicine related searches. we are the longest lived independent community that people can utilize, and i hope if nothing else creates a more educated HPSP student body. this forum did not exist for my generation (i lurked in 1999, joined in 2000, by then my fate was sealed) but i like to think if it had we'd have avoided a lot of disgruntled embittered doctors. at least to the degree that lies and misrepresentations contribute to the embitteredness, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood you need a thick skin but please stick around caveman

Heh. For a milmed recruiter, this forum is the very definition of a baited ambush.

I can understand that, and hopefully I can assure those here that I won't try to recruit anyone or post any "sales pitches". My main purpose for joining the forum is to get an idea of why people DON'T want to join (of which I have seen plenty so far!), obviously to help me do my job better (or make it more frustrating, not sure which yet). I will certainly tread lightly and am available if someone just wants information. I think it would be pretty silly (and highly unsuccessful) to try to recruit someone on a forum.

The fundamental problem is that our system is so complex, there's really no hope for you to understand it. There are tons of physicians with several years in who don't understand. Regardless of your intentions, you just can't give accurate or fair advice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk