Pharmacist switching to nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
honestly i don't think this PA obsession on this forum is gonna last for too long.

people on this forum have been pushing and telling others to go pursuing CS, Engineering, PA, Finance or whatever, but in reality how many people can or actually have done so? I highly doubt that. Also, I think PA is very similar to pharmacy in a way that they are both restricted in the scope of practice and highly dependent on MD offices. The economy only needs that many pharmacists or PAs to service a certain amount of population.

I think pharmacy could be done in just 1 year. Just cut all the unnecessary crap and condense all therapeutics to the bare bones and it will be highly doable. I would say >85% of my pharmacy courses and material we are crammed and got tested on were absolutely useless or something that can be easily looked up by a google click.
exactly. Thats wasted time. People here love to waste time. I don't. Its just opportunity cost for me, those 8 years I did, I could had put it somewhere else. I always say if someone waste my time, you owe me money for wasting my time. That could be the time I am at work or doing something else. People....Engineering, CS and finance you can do... IF YOU ARE SMART IN MATH. I told you my phd math friend is a Chief risk officer. he said in math majors the fallback joke is people who can't do math fall into finance. I know a guy who was a electrical engineer who fell into Data Science and Finance as well.

FYI: the BLS growth rate for engineers are at 6/7 percent like pharmacy too

I said anything >20 percent is good thing. physician-assistants.htm
PA at 37 and Software engineer at Software Developers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pharmacist can probably do PA. Only if they like blood. Most people are in the biology major when they enter... not math.
side note: Im 81 percent done here lol

Attachments

• python programmer.jpg
    python programmer.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
exactly. Thats wasted time. People here love to waste time. I don't. Its just opportunity cost for me, those 8 years I did, I could had put it somewhere else. I always say if someone waste my time, you owe me money for wasting my time. That could be the time I am at work or doing something else. People....Engineering, CS and finance you can do... IF YOU ARE SMART IN MATH. I told you my phd math friend is a Chief risk officer. he said in math majors the fallback joke is people who can't do math fall into finance. I know a guy who was a electrical engineer who fell into Data Science and Finance as well.

PA at 37 and Software engineer at Software Developers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
PA is like pharmacy a decade ago. It is still relatively new so they are still in demand. but their tuition is catching up fast, and more schools are opening. it's following law and pharmacy cycle.

you are absolutely right. quantitative skills are hard to drill and takes years to develop the mindset. my parents are all engineers, electrical and mechanical. i was kinda brainwashed by them to stay away from engineering back then as they witnessed the outsourcing trend in early 2000s, and they pushed me to go into healthcare. regardless, i had a solid math/physics foundation since young, and i was told by them to take all math & physics undergrad courses with engineering guys all the way up to partial differential equation. those courses were actually my GPA boosters, and i remember i got 97% on linear algebra, the highest in that course and beating all of my eecs friends. so glad i did all this, and now at least i always get that math when i need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

cs is now pretty much dominated by foreign students and h1b visa holders. i bet if trump restricts h1b quota further, the demand for software engineers could be even higher.

PA is like pharmacy a decade ago. It is still relatively new so they are still in demand. but their tuition is catching up fast, and more schools are opening. it's following law and pharmacy cycle.

you are absolutely right. quantitative skills are hard to drill and takes years to develop the mindset. my parents are all engineers, electrical and mechanical. i was kinda brainwashed by them to stay away from engineering back then as they witnessed the outsourcing trend in early 2000s, and they pushed me to go into healthcare. regardless, i had a solid math/physics foundation since young, and i was told by them to take all math & physics undergrad courses with engineering guys all the way up to partial differential equation. those courses were actually my GPA boosters, and i remember i got 97% on linear algebra, the highest in that course and beating all of my eecs friends. so glad i did all this, and now at least i always get that math when i need it.
math rules. Data doesn't lie. People do. Progress is by metric. I hate these corporate quotes. Unfortunately it's all about money. And the metrics by the data is what data scientist are looking for. That's why business majors are such a big thing. Most math majors have a minor in computer science

Last edited:
This should totally be mentioned more in these forums. Shift work (and now reduced hours) gives many pharmacists a decent amount of free time to dig into real estate, investing, or side businesses. Many computer scientists and engineers (the most often mentioned alternative careers) are way too busy for this.

The problem is you need money for those side hustles. Most Rphs who only get 32 hours are drowning in debt.

lol I only got into this because two of my friends. And one software engineering friend.
cs is now pretty much dominated by foreign students and h1b visa holders. i bet if trump restricts h1b quota further, the demand for software engineers could be even higher.
i think 8/10 Americans think high skill immigrants is a good thing. I don't like supply and demand. Game theory or opp cost lol... going to inflate housing as well

math rules. Data doesn't lie. People do. Progress is by metric. I hate these corporate quotes. Unfortunately it's all about money. And the metrics by the data is what data scientist are looking for. That's why business majors are such a big thing. Most math majors have a minor in computer science
to the OP, i think nursing is far more saturated than pharmacy. nursing > law > pharm in terms of saturation. i personally know unemployed lawyers graduated from uc berkeley law. that shows how bad it is for law. pharmacists at least still have shifts, maybe not so many hours, but at least they can still practice.

i took a community college course for microbiology to fulfill the prereq when i was apply to pharm school. man, almost all of my classmates are going to nursing. some of them are already nursing students. super-saturated field for sure.

• Wow
lol I only got into this because two of my friends. And one software engineering friend.

i think 8/10 Americans think high skill immigrants is a good thing. I don't like supply and demand. Game theory or opp cost lol... going to inflate housing as well
haha yup. SF bay has many million dollar shacks

• Sad
to the OP, i think nursing is far more saturated than pharmacy. nursing > law > pharm in terms of saturation. i personally know unemployed lawyers graduated from uc berkeley law. that shows how bad it is for law. pharmacists at least still have shifts, maybe not so many hours, but at least they can still practice.

i took a community college course for microbiology to fulfill the prereq when i was apply to pharm school. man, almost all of my classmates are going to nursing. some of them are already nursing students. super-saturated field for sure.
Nurses eat their young! A lot of patient specific cases. I think my whole class got married and pregnant now. It's too late for them to change career paths with debt. I can't believe everyone is going into nursing. Pa route I think is better. Or better yet leave the country which I plan to do after I work in hedge fund and tech and take my skills to europa. Life is more chill there. I have a major thing for linguistics

Thing about law is

thing about law is... people has huge egos. And even Lincoln taught himself by a book... lol...

Nurses eat their young! A lot of patient specific cases. I think my whole class got married and pregnant now. It's too late for them to change career paths with debt. I can't believe everyone is going into nursing. Pa route I think is better. Or better yet leave the country which I plan to do after I work in hedge fund and tech and take my skills to europa. Life is more chill there. I have a major thing for linguistics
nursing has a very low entry barrier. associate degree is like one foot in the door, bsn is the standard, and they also have this master and doctor of nursing thing too.

Thing about law is
thing about law is... people has huge egos. And even Lincoln taught himself by a book... lol...
when law grads from T10 or maybe even T5 have issues paying debt and getting jobs that actually require their JD degree, it has some very serious problems with that profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
8 years is medical school and residency. Is it really necessary for 6 years of pharmacy school vs 4? you have to ask yourself that question. Is school training you for a job or for research and making money

Most residencies are only 3 years, so if you aren't counting the Bachelor's, it would be 2 years PA and 7 years MD. Pharmacy school is only 4 years (not 6....if you aren't counting the pre-reqsfor the PA and MD, then you can't count them for the PharmD.) Most pharmacists do not do a residency, would would possibly add on a year (extremely few would do 2 years.)

So it's 2yrs PA ------- 4 yrs PharmD ---------7 years MD. This sounds about right to me. Most pharmacy schools do not focus on research, I'm not sure why you think that, although I do agree that most pharmacy schools neglect teaching important job skills.

other countries are not like this. Im asking you the question is it really worth for phd when postdocs are not even needed for the industry. You over educate yourself. They just want your money

Other countries often cut out the BS work, not the actual Pharm D or MD work.

I happen to nknow
This should totally be mentioned more in these forums. Shift work (and now reduced hours) gives many pharmacists a decent amount of free time to dig into real estate, investing, or side businesses. Many computer scientists and engineers (the most often mentioned alternative careers) are way too busy for this.
of course, they have tech change every 2 years.

Most residencies are only 3 years, so if you aren't counting the Bachelor's, it would be 2 years PA and 7 years MD. Pharmacy school is only 4 years (not 6....if you aren't counting the pre-reqsfor the PA and MD, then you can't count them for the PharmD.) Most pharmacists do not do a residency, would would possibly add on a year (extremely few would do 2 years.)

So it's 2yrs PA ------- 4 yrs PharmD ---------7 years MD. This sounds about right to me. Most pharmacy schools do not focus on research, I'm not sure why you think that, although I do agree that most pharmacy schools neglect teaching important job skills.

Other countries often cut out the BS work, not the actual Pharm D or MD work.
Do you really need to know P values and CI? There is a entire semester dedicated to it. And pharmaceutics

I should even rephase, you only use 10% of what you learn in school. Why do you keep defending this slave system? it a waste of time. You only get the Docrotate. thats time you could be making money, spending time with family. Traveling

Damn, dude. Cut pharmacy school down to one year? There's a lot of fat in the curriculum, but that's pushing it. You could probably get away with two years and a strong internship component, but at that point I would be in favor of mandatory residencies for inpatient work.

What classes to cut? A&P had a lot of information that isn't relevant to daily practice. Med chem seemed more suited towards researchers. Pharmaceutics for manufacturing. Therapeutics, pharmacology, and pharmacy law were absolutely essential in my eyes.

Damn, dude. Cut pharmacy school down to one year? There's a lot of fat in the curriculum, but that's pushing it. You could probably get away with two years and a strong internship component, but at that point I would be in favor of mandatory residencies for inpatient work.

What classes to cut? A&P had a lot of information that isn't relevant to daily practice. Med chem seemed more suited towards researchers. Pharmaceutics for manufacturing. Therapeutics, pharmacology, and pharmacy law were absolutely essential in my eyes.
there is even a major problem with post docs. Get it? its like residency. too many phd= post docs. too many pharmd = residency
I say 2-3 years minimum. lol.

I should like to say people shouldnt get so hang up about titles. your post doc is making less than a librarian. Your Vice president at the bank is a over inflated title. so is post doc and sales executive. As well as executive chef

there is so much fat in therapeutics, let alone other useless courses like toxicology, pharmacology, physio, health systems, and pharmacoeconomics.
for therapeutics, just know the drugs, the indication, dose, side effects, important stuff to look out for. that's it. anything more is essentially MD's job. what's the point of taking care of everything yet not getting paid for it?

• Haha
there is even a major problem with post docs. Get it? its like residency. too many phd= post docs. too many pharmd = residency
I say 2-3 years minimum. lol.
I just counted there is like 7-8 therapeutics courses spread over all 3 years. condense all into 2 semesters, and get rid of others. It should be fairly doable and save a whole lot of money and time for students.

• Love
I just counted there is like 7-8 therapeutics courses spread over all 3 years. condense all into 2 semesters, and get rid of others. It should be fairly doable and save a whole lot of money and time for students.
I say if you want to learn industry with pharmaceutics, learn it. If you want to be hospital star, then do pharmacology. It should be tailor individually toward the industries. thats time we could be coding

• Love
there is so much fat in therapeutics, let alone other useless courses like toxicology, pharmacology, physio, health systems, and pharmacoeconomics.
for therapeutics, just know the drugs, the indication, dose, side effects, important stuff to look out for. that's it. anything more is essentially MD's job. what's the point of taking care of everything yet not getting paid for it?

I'd argue that toxicology falls into a category that pharmacists should have some knowledge of (especially drug overdoses), particularly poison control and ER pharmacists. This was an elective for our school though, I'd be surprised if it was a mandatory class. As for physiology, I'd be wary of any pharmacists that don't know the basics of how the body works.

There is a whole lot of unnecessary classes though, but I think cutting it down to about 2.5 years would be far more realistic to graduate competent pharmacists. Besides that, cutting down the years necessary to graduate would only lead to further saturation.

I'd argue that toxicology falls into a category that pharmacists should have some knowledge of (especially drug overdoses), particularly poison control and ER pharmacists. This was an elective for our school though, I'd be surprised if it was a mandatory class. As for physiology, I'd be wary of any pharmacists that don't know the basics of how the body works.

There is a whole lot of unnecessary classes though, but I think cutting it down to about 2.5 years would be far more realistic to graduate competent pharmacists. Besides that, cutting down the years necessary to graduate would only lead to further saturation.

well, what's the point of being a competent pharmacist when the employer doesn't pay up? pharmacy schools can add mandatory medical school electives to pharmacist curriculum and make it 6 years or even longer. but when the market and salary doesn't support that, what's the whole point?

in any business transaction, people pay to get what they deserve. when pharmacy chains cut hours and low-ball their employees, they deserve to get the kind of service proportional to salary they pay out. this is called fairness. if a software company undercut their employees' salary and benefits, programmers will submit ****ty codes and documentation that no one can understand or maintain. if the trend continues, people will leave.

since pharmacy schools don't give a damn about the job market, why can't they just do themselves and their poor students a huge favor by charging less and making the curriculum much shorter and stop wasting everybody's valuable time?

Pharmacist training has never been 1 year or anything close to it. When UIC COP started, they didn't offer a degree. It was a 4 year apprenticeship program with lectures provided by the school. It wasn't until the 1880s, they actually offered a degree and it was a 3 year degree. In the 1930s, it became a 4 year degree, and in 1960, the 5 year bachelors degree was offered.

well, what's the point of being a competent pharmacist when the employer doesn't pay up? pharmacy schools can add mandatory medical school electives to pharmacist curriculum and make it 6 years or even longer. but when the market and salary doesn't support that, what's the whole point?

in any business transaction, people pay to get what they deserve. when pharmacy chains cut hours and low-ball their employees, they deserve to get the kind of service proportional to salary they pay out. this is called fairness. if a software company undercut their employees' salary and benefits, programmers will submit ****ty codes and documentation that no one can understand or maintain. if the trend continues, people will leave.

since pharmacy schools don't give a damn about the job market, why can't they just do themselves and their poor students a huge favor by charging less and making the curriculum much shorter and stop wasting everybody's valuable time?

Well, I guess the point would be to help patients.

Don't get me wrong though, I got into this profession for the money, so I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

But, I said before, decreasing tuition as well as shortening the curriculum would just mean more pharmacist graduates, which would lead to further saturation, which would then lead to even further cuts to salaries and hours. You're essentially endorsing for your own compensation to be cut, in a round-about way. And why would the schools want to charge less and shorten the curriculum anyway? It's all profit for them.

The problem is you need money for those side hustles. Most Rphs who only get 32 hours are drowning in debt.
That's true, I didn't think of this.... maybe more established pharmacists can do this though? At least it's better than sit and wait for Walmart to fire them.

Well, I guess the point would be to help patients.

Don't get me wrong though, I got into this profession for the money, so I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

But, I said before, decreasing tuition as well as shortening the curriculum would just mean more pharmacist graduates, which would lead to further saturation, which would then lead to even further cuts to salaries and hours. You're essentially endorsing for your own compensation to be cut, in a round-about way. And why would the schools want to charge less and shorten the curriculum anyway? It's all profit for them.

i honestly don't think this artificial entry barrier of long school time can help with improving saturation. now it's 4 years, we were taught with mostly "clinical crap", and schools can use that as an excuse for their professionalism and rightfully charge us for whatever they want. for schools, they don't give a damn except for our tuition, but for students, this is absolutely rip-off and money-grab. but still, we are facing tremendous saturation.

most cs masters are at most 2 years, and many aren't that expensive, even the very top ones. yet we all know today's market value of a cs master grad and the salary they can negotiate. so why pharmacy schools have to make its curriculum artificially inflated and charge artificially inflated tuition, just for the optimism of maybe having less saturation, which obviously never worked out in reality?

i honestly don't think this artificial entry barrier of long school time can help with improving saturation. now it's 4 years, we were taught with mostly "clinical crap", and schools can use that as an excuse for their professionalism and rightfully charge us for whatever they want. for schools, they don't give a damn except for our tuition, but for students, this is absolutely rip-off and money-grab. but still, we are facing tremendous saturation.

most cs masters are at most 2 years, and many aren't that expensive, even the very top ones. yet we all know today's market value of a cs master grad and the salary they can negotiate. so why pharmacy schools have to make its curriculum artificially inflated and charge artificially inflated tuition, just for the optimism of maybe having less saturation, which obviously never worked out in reality?
Coding academy weed you out. 3 months training. I like to self educate. I learn art history, international relations, history really quick. A lot of time wasters out there. Code academy will take you a year a least or a few months to land a role. Anything who does it with 3 month than finds a gig is most likely a liar. I knew multiple people in this setting

Well, lets see. Just typing different jobs on Indeed yields:

500 Pharmacist jobs in California
3000 PA jobs in California
and 18,000 RN jobs in California

I should even rephase, you only use 10% of what you learn in school. Why do you keep defending this slave system? it a waste of time. You only get the Docrotate. thats time you could be making money, spending time with family. Traveling

I have to disagree with you. I think all of this stuff is important for several reasons 1) even when you think you aren't using it, it's become part of your knowledge base and is there 2) having been exposed to it, you know it exists, so even if you don't remember it exactly when the rare situation comes up that you do need to know about it, you will know to look it up 3) MD's learn very little pharmacology and most of the therapeutics they learn is during their residency, the medical system counts on pharmacists to know that 4) having a firm base in all the stuff you listed, makes it easier to learn about new drugs/therapies/treatments as they become available.

I have to disagree with you. I think all of this stuff is important for several reasons 1) even when you think you aren't using it, it's become part of your knowledge base and is there 2) having been exposed to it, you know it exists, so even if you don't remember it exactly when the rare situation comes up that you do need to know about it, you will know to look it up 3) MD's learn very little pharmacology and most of the therapeutics they learn is during their residency, the medical system counts on pharmacists to know that 4) having a firm base in all the stuff you listed, makes it easier to learn about new drugs/therapies/treatments as they become available.
You are right, knowledge is knowledge. But my point is, are those pharmacology stuff absolutely essential for the day-to-day job? and most importantly, should schools artificially pack the curriculum with these questionably "essential knowledge" so that they rightfully can charge us for more tuition? If the curriculum is reduced to 2 years or maybe even 1 year, does any school have the audacity to charge 80k, 100k, or maybe 200k per year annual tuition? NO, I highly doubt that, and even if some school do so, it will scare off vast majority of applicants cuz even harvard law doesn't charge that much annually. by the end of the day, the result will be greatly reduced tuition cost and accelerated program so that grads can start to recoup their investment sooner and with much less debt load.

AND I would argue that no "essential knowledge" worths extra 50k or 100k tuition. Anyone who were admitted in the first place should have the ability to look up and study by themselves if necessary.

Pharmacists have been overpaid for a decade and the market is correcting itself now. If a Rph leaves, where will they go? There are a stack of resumes to choose from if someone quits. There are not enough jobs to support us all. It doesn't matter how long pharmacy school takes or how expensive it costs when there are 15k new pharmDs per year. Whereas in software, programmers and engineers are actually in demand. This is literally economics 101 which many pharmDs can't seem to grasp.

Your last paragraph makes no sense. Pharmacy schools are in the business of making money. Why would they lower their tuition? Why would they do us a favor? No offense but I don't think you understand basic economics.

Your time
Pharmacists have been overpaid for a decade and the market is correcting itself now. If a Rph leaves, where will they go? There are a stack of resumes to choose from if someone quits. There are not enough jobs to support us all. It doesn't matter how long pharmacy school takes or how expensive it costs when there are 15k new pharmDs per year. Whereas in software, programmers and engineers are actually in demand. This is literally economics 101 which many pharmDs can't seem to grasp.

Your last paragraph makes no sense. Pharmacy schools are in the business of making money. Why would they lower their tuition? Why would they do us a favor? No offense but I don't think you understand basic economics.

If there is no jobs to support us all, then why bother cramming all these BS useless clinical crap and CE after license? to be a competent pharmacist for whom? what's the point of keeping the curriculum 4 years instead of just 1 year, if both means under- or unemployment ?

college bubble will drop very soon, colleges closing down left and right. the education system failed us and charge a premium for it. It's your time you wanna waste when you look back. Why not make 12 years. 20 years. Why just 6. Why not infinite residency like post doc. I don't want to do residency because I can do other things.

Why don't high school teach us personal finance, woodworking? Why all the meaningless courses? It's design to teach you to be a worker. Kids can't even take care of themselves

If there is no jobs to support us all, then why bother cramming all these BS useless clinical crap and CE after license? to be a competent pharmacist for whom? what's the point of keeping the curriculum 4 years instead of just 1 year, if both means under- or unemployment ?

Cause they make $$$$$ off of us...

Why don't high school teach us personal finance, woodworking? Why all the meaningless courses? It's design to teach you to be a worker. Kids can't even take care of themselves

They should make basic finance books required reading. Old ones like "the Millionaire Next Door", "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and the Bogleheads book still hold true.

I rather they charge 200k for 2 years then lol.

They raise tuition by 10%+ each year so they make more if you stay 4 years. This is very basic economics.

I came out with 160k. I paid it off. It doesn't matter if 200k or 160k just let me out quit. That's 143,000 a year I'm making that's wasted

I rather they charge 200k for 2 years then lol.
well, let them charge whatever they want then. I will be out of this pharmacy s**thole for sure by 2022 at latest. I did a quick indeed search last night and there is over 6k openings for data scientists in california alone, 3X more than PA openings.

• Love
well, let them charge whatever they want then. I will be out of this pharmacy s**thole for sure by 2022 at latest. I did a quick indeed search last night and there is over 6k openings for data scientists in california alone, 3X more than PA openings.
Yeah I'll be out as well. Not my problem