Pharmacist switching to nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PA school is only 2 years, but a previous BS is pretty much required (so 6 years for someone starting out from high school.) I think the person who told you they were the same length of time, was either 1) assuming an RN diploma program, so 2 year program or 2) assuming the OP would get at least 2 years college credit for previously courses, so would only need 2 years to finish then BSN.
Its 3 academic years, 24 to 28 months full time with very little breaks. I had just a few weeks off in 2 years. So we went to school for 100 weeks. Medical students do "4 years" but take summers off and are in school for around 140 to 150 weeks. So PA school is actually closer to medical school length than a BSN is to PA.

Members don't see this ad.

my real question is since the PA school can be done in 2 years and MD in 8. Don't you think the education is fake and teaches you useless things? like pharmacy has 4 years. And you use only 10 percent of what you learn. Most are gear toward pharmD or the Docrotate. We don't wanna be doctors
Where are you getting this info!? Have you forgotten undergrad to PAs. But you give it to the MD? Wow! PAs train 1 year less than a MD in academic years. We are less than 1 year difference in training. Look at the total weeks of education.100 weeks vs 140 to 150 weeks. PA to MD

PA's get a very good education, the first 2 years is similar to MD school (in some places they are even sharing classes with MD's), and they have a lot more clinical training than NP's get. But their knowledge is less than a doctor, which is why they are required to work under a doctor.
No we collaborate with a physician not work under. Much different at the practice level. I saw my CP 1 day every month. Do you think I work under him and just see easy cases. No...I see everything a physician sees just might refer out a little sooner on some of the cases (<10%)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you getting this info!? Have you forgotten undergrad to PAs. But you give it to the MD? Wow! PAs train 1 year less than a MD in academic years. We are less than 1 year difference in training. Look at the total weeks of education.100 weeks vs 140 to 150 weeks. PA to MD
they have residency. you confirm to me you can skip residency, USA is taking too long to train healthcare professionals. all about the money
same for pharmacy

they have residency. you confirm to me you can skip residency, USA is taking too long to train healthcare professionals. all about the money
same for pharmacy
Yes they do but it's not 2 years vs 8 years. Its 7 vs 11+ (depending what residency). Not saying we are equal cause we are not. Physicians are trained longer and better, PAs have a different job to do but I hate when people we go to school for "just 2 years." That was my point.

You have no idea what your talking about. Look at the credit hours. 80 to 110+ credit hours just in PA school not counting the 130+ for pre med classes and then health care experience. It's a little different beast to get into PA school than RN school. I am assuming your talking about a BSN not a ADN. Do some research before saying crap like this please.

Calm down. Take your Xanax. Most PA school’s length is 2 years on average in California .

Prereqs don’t matter- most pharmacy students already taken them.

I think you need help dude

Reactions: 2 users
Yes they do but it's not 2 years vs 8 years. Its 7 vs 11+ (depending what residency). Not saying we are equal cause we are not. Physicians are trained longer and better, PAs have a different job to do but I hate when people we go to school for "just 2 years." That was my point.
and pharmD can be done in 3 years accelerated. PA is winning in op p cost, MD aren't that long in Europe

No we collaborate with a physician not work under. Much different at the practice level. I saw my CP 1 day every month. Do you think I work under him and just see easy cases. No...I see everything a physician sees just might refer out a little sooner on some of the cases (<10%)

No one is putting your profession down. If anything, many of our current pharmacists are urging pre-pharms to look into the PA route if they have the competitive GPA and healthcare experience to apply.

On the same token no one is making the connection that PAs see "easy" cases. I think its pretty neat actually that some PAs can choose to work in specific settings and still maintain their autonomy to collaborate, make a plan, and execute without someone else hovering over you.

That said, you have to collaborate one way or another with a physician simply because on a legal standpoint, you cannot practice independently. You have to "work-under" a physicians license. As the job title states, you assist because yes...on paper you report and work under the guidance of a physician. Albeit in most settings you may never actually have to report on the daily, but as it stands currently it is under a physicians license. If you disagree with a case your input is very important. But you don't have the final say. What the doctor says goes. You do it and move on.

No one is putting your profession down. If anything, many of our current pharmacists are urging pre-pharms to look into the PA route if they have the competitive GPA and healthcare experience to apply.

On the same token no one is making the connection that PAs see "easy" cases. I think its pretty neat actually that some PAs can choose to work in specific settings and still maintain their autonomy to collaborate, make a plan, and execute without someone else hovering over you.

That said, you have to collaborate one way or another with a physician simply because on a legal standpoint, you cannot practice independently. You have to "work-under" a physicians license. As the job title states, you assist because yes...on paper you report and work under the guidance of a physician. Albeit in most settings you may never actually have to report on the daily, but as it stands currently it is under a physicians license. If you disagree with a case your input is very important. But you don't have the final say. What the doctor says goes. You do it and move on.

Perfectly said BC. Hallelujah.
Can't add much to it. Just confused as to why one would misconstrue all the positives that are conveyed about the PA profession. The two year length of most schools in CA is a tremendous positive, the PA profession gets, teaches what needs to be taught- understands the role and importance of PA professionals in the medical field- I think that PA's really improve clinical outcomes. I never met a PA who a jerk, maybe until i read some of the comments here.

Reactions: 1 users
With the RN, you can later become a CRNA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for all the replies. I have decided to pursue this route to become a nurse and have already started taking some of the classes to fulfill the prerequisites to apply to some of the nursing programs I am interested in. I am hoping I can have my application ready for this Fall's application cycle or next Spring...if not, I will have to apply the following Fall. I have spoken to many nursing programs and feel encouraged to apply as many of them welcomed my background and suggested this would be a great career transition for me! I am excited about this new career but also somewhat nervous seeing as I will have to return to school full-time not to mention taking out even more loans to add to all my current loans from undergrad and pharmacy school but I am just hoping that becoming a nurse will actually get me into a job I enjoy doing and everything will work out!

I'm leaving nursing to pursue pharmacy. Although I know pharmacy is becoming highly saturated, I'd rather work as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital dealing with doctors and nurses demanding medications rather than dealing with angry patients. I can handle angry nurses but not angry patients. Nursing has great job security but the stress is too much. I agree with a lot of people in this thread, you should go the PA or NP route. With your credentials, you will get in. Trust me, you will end up going that route after you realize being an RN for 2 years wasn't worth the high level stress. All of us nurses don't remain nurses, we end up going NP 80% of the time. Originally, I was going to pursue the PA route, but they too, have to deal with patient drama. I see it everyday.

I've known nurses who went to pharmacy school, never the other way around. I'm sure there are hopeful nurses applying to pharmacy school right now as I type. OP, unless you view yourself as Mother Theresa or something, I don't think nursing is the career you think it is.

The irony of being a nurse myself who is now pursuing pharmacy. OP, they're right, nursing is not the career you think it is.

I'm leaving nursing to pursue pharmacy. Although I know pharmacy is becoming highly saturated, I'd rather work as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital dealing with doctors and nurses demanding medications rather than dealing with angry patients. I can handle angry nurses but not angry patients. Nursing has great job security but the stress is too much. I agree with a lot of people in this thread, you should go the PA or NP route. With your credentials, you will get in. Trust me, you will end up going that route after you realize being an RN for 2 years wasn't worth the high level stress. All of us nurses don't remain nurses, we end up going NP 80% of the time. Originally, I was going to pursue the PA route, but they too, have to deal with patient drama. I see it everyday.

I’ve heard that story before. I wish you luck. Keep in mind that majority of pharmacists end up in retail, that’s where the vast majority of jobs are. If you are not comfortable being in retail, it’s not a good move bc odds are against you to become a hospital Rph-it’s a numbers game- a lot of grads don’t match for residency and jobs are scarce is hospitals.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dealing with angry patients.... that could be 10-50% of your time in retail pharmacy depending on how well it's run and where it's located

Calm down. Take your Xanax. Most PA school’s length is 2 years on average in California .

Prereqs don’t matter- most pharmacy students already taken them.

I think you need help dude
Haha your so funny. Once again PA is over 2 years (26-28 months) but we dont get summers off and have extended weeks off for holidays. Read my play slowly and you might understand the academic calendar of 100 weeks of school means. When MD and DOs do about 140 to 150 weeks. How is that 2 years difference in schooling?

Q

Are you a PA? Not in my state and numerous states the law is collaborate not supervise. When we sign our paperwork there is nothing that states I work under a physician. I literally had a conversation with my CP and a OBGYN in person yesterday about a case and they both said this is all yours and I will give facts about the family but I will not say anything else cause I do not want to sway your judgement on this very different case and decision. Out of their mouths they both said this is yours and you are in charge, make the call. So tell me how your comment is correct? Have you ever seen PA practice in real life? Not on a TV show.

Perfectly said BC. Hallelujah.
Can't add much to it. Just confused as to why one would misconstrue all the positives that are conveyed about the PA profession. The two year length of most schools in CA is a tremendous positive, the PA profession gets, teaches what needs to be taught- understands the role and importance of PA professionals in the medical field- I think that PA's really improve clinical outcomes. I never met a PA who a jerk, maybe until i read some of the comments here.
Because everyone thinks MD is 4 and Pa is half the school. It is not. That's my point. Its not that much easier. Apparently your mot understand that I'm telling people before they go into it that is not really 2 years of school eith summers off etc. We had over 20 credit just in the summers alone. Not easy. This is to help those people that are on the fence with med school and PA school and go PA hoping it will be easier etc. They rather just go to medical school. That's my point.

Q

Are you a PA? Not in my state and numerous states the law is collaborate not supervise. When we sign our paperwork there is nothing that states I work under a physician. I literally had a conversation with my CP and a OBGYN in person yesterday about a case and they both said this is all yours and I will give facts about the family but I will not say anything else cause I do not want to sway your judgement on this very different case and decision. Out of their mouths they both said this is yours and you are in charge, make the call. So tell me how your comment is correct? Have you ever seen PA practice in real life? Not on a TV show.

I don't have to be a PA (though I enjoyed working and training with them when deployed) to look up your limits and regulations under your collaborative agreement with a physician. Simply put, you cannot "collaborate" without actually being "supervised" by a physician whether that is on site or a remote site. Some states the physician cant even be more than 30 miles away.

As I stated earlier, you may have the full autonomy to provide patient care, but legally, it will be under the license of a registered physician. What you call collaborate work is a legal term to mean how much rope your supervisor (ie physician) is willing to give you. Most of the time, they let you be and simply sign off on patients that you treat and say "all yours". Again, I think many people don't give enough credit on the autonomy, but what I have stated is absolutely true. Here's a Missouri regulation that justifies what other states put out as well as PAs having a "supervising physician".

2011 Missouri Revised Statutes :: TITLE XXII OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS :: Chapter 334 Providers :: Section 334.735. Definitions--rules--scope of practice--prohibited activities--board of healing arts to administer licensing program--supervision agreements--duties and liability of physicians.

Outline Title (8):

"Supervision", control exercised over a physician assistant working within the same facility as the supervising physician sixty-six percent of the time a physician assistant provides patient care, except a physician assistant may make follow-up patient examinations in hospitals, nursing homes, patient homes, and correctional facilities, each such examination being reviewed, approved and signed by the supervising physician, except as provided by subsection 2 of this section. For the purposes of this section, the percentage of time a physician assistant provides patient care with the supervising physician on-site shall be measured each calendar quarter. The supervising physician must be readily available in person or via telecommunication during the time the physician assistant is providing patient care. The board shall promulgate rules pursuant to chapter 536 for documentation of joint review of the physician assistant activity by the supervising physician and the physician assistant. The physician assistant shall be limited to practice at locations where the supervising physician is no further than thirty miles by road using the most direct route available, or in any other fashion so distanced as to create an impediment to effective intervention and supervision of patient care or adequate review of services...….

Again, you act like someone is off to get you because of the MD and PA comparison. Relax. We are still encouraging some of the younger users on here to consider all options and especially the PA route.

With that, despite (again) your full autonomy outside of your "collaborative agreement" limitation, if a pharmacist wanted to make the switch toward nursing, I would understand seeing that the "legal" independent practice is a bit more straight forward if one wants to pursue a career as an NP or even that of a CRNA in the longterm. I just dont feel the financial opportunity cost is justified.

Reactions: 3 users
PAs with chips on their shoulders about collaborative vs supervisory. Just go get an MD.

Oh wait.

I know 1 person who made this switch - haven't spoken to them in a while but by all accounts I hear that individual is pretty happy with the switch. However, job market struggles wasn't an issue. On the contrary, the person had already left the pharmacy practice setting and had been in a biotech company for several years...where the stocks went from barely anything to skyrocketing (more than 10-bagger) in the span of 2-3 years. That's when they decided to go back to school and make the career change to nursing - definitely had sufficient finances for tuition and living expenses. If they stayed with the company, the stocks would have continued to rise even further but they're content with life so who can judge.

Nursing is a more protected and respected profession than pharmacy.

If the largest employers of pharmacists can literally make them run around and do whatever ridiculous task they want without any real scheduled breaks, than you know you're not in a serious profession. I know pharmacist employed by the chains who literally don't sit down for 12-14 long shifts because they aren't allowed a stool or chair ... If that's not ridiculous than I don't know what is

I've been practicing for over 6 years now and I don't see anything positive in this field or any future in it. I might move on myself. There are far better ways to make a six figure salary.

Last edited:
Nursing is a more protected and respected profession than pharmacy.

If the largest employers of pharmacists can literally make them run around and do whatever ridiculous task they want without any real scheduled breaks, than you know you're not in a serious profession. I know pharmacist employed by the chains who literally don't sit down for 12-14 long shifts because they aren't allowed a stool or chair ... If that's not ridiculous than I don't know what is

I've been practicing for over 6 years now and I don't see anything positive in this field or any future in it. I might move on myself. There are far better ways to make a six figure salary.
what's more ridiculous is a pregnant Rph working 12 hours with no stool. And they have to beg for early or extended maternity leave due to this horrible work conditions.

what's more ridiculous is a pregnant Rph working 12 hours with no stool. And they have to beg for early or extended maternity leave due to this horrible work conditions.
What's the reason behind a lot of these retail companies not giving their employees stool to sit on?

What's the reason behind a lot of these retail companies not giving their employees stool to sit on?

I think the thinking is that sitting on a stool will make the customer think the pharmacist isn't doing anything, and then the customer is more likely to complain.