Pharmacist switching to nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcow2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of going to nursing school to get my RN credentials because I cannot find a pharmacist job. Anyone done this before? I feel like the job market is so much better for nurses and I always hear about nursing shortage. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
From a financial standpoint this would not be ideal.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just go to trade school? You can make anywhere from $50-80K depending on the trade.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, nursing wouldn't augment pharmacist skills in any job, it would be better to try for another type of skill set that can help you do something different rather than just replace it.

I know a couple of people that did it the other way around - I respect the hell out of nurses, but it it is definitely a step backward

Maybe go to PA school? I'd imagine a PharmD/PA would be useful in a lot of clinical settings.

Or maybe not.

Really, how the hell should I know. I work graveyard retail.

Reactions: 5 users
The reason their is a nursing shortage is because most nurses are overworked and underpaid. There are lots of RN's (or previous RN's who let their license lapse) who work in non-nursing fields, because they hate the stress of their jobs and can't do it anymore. Sure you here about nurses making $50/hr overtime or more....but you could say the same about pharmacists. I don't think going to nursing school is the answer to your problems. If you were just starting out, I'd say since it would be far, far, far cheaper to get a BSN than to get a PharmD, a BSN would be the way to go. But you aren't, and I don't think you will nursing the great career that you think it is (get like all these new PharmD's aren't going to find pharmacy the great career they thought it was.)

Are you unable to move out of your immediate local? I know NY is very saturated, but like anywhere, if you apply over the whole state, you are more likely to find a job.

I agree with WVU, if you want to stay in the medical field, it would make more sense to go PA, then RN. I'd consider than more of a lateral move. Do you have a BS in addition to your PharmD? Maybe you could get a job in whatever line of work your BS is in. Didn't you just have a kid? Maybe go on welfare and stay home with your baby for a bit.

Reactions: 4 users
If you want to be a nurse, sure, go for it. If you just want a job there are more practical things you could do: find a teaching gig, join the military, work as a lab tech... you have a lot of college education under your belt already, you just have to find different ways to sell it to potential employers.

I am thinking of going to nursing school to get my RN credentials because I cannot find a pharmacist job. Anyone done this before? I feel like the job market is so much better for nurses and I always hear about nursing shortage. What do you guys think?

How long have you been looking? Are you applying outside your immediate location? If you are willing to relocate, there are plenty of job openings on USAJOBS. I would relocate where there is a current opening, and then once you've got some time under your belt apply for another gov location if you want to move. I would do that, and make money before I'd ever think to take out additional loans to go to school for another year or two.

plenty of job openings on USAJOBS.
Good advice about moving, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a federal job. Feds don't want new grads. No one wants new grads. Many of the postings on there are already accounted for too, and it takes quite a while to get onboarded as a fed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to MD route...No excuse

I hear this statement all the time. Is it merely the prestige or are you implying financial gain as well?

Because, financially speaking, there is no gain. The breaking point may be in your later years of life just before retirement if your putting into consideration current debt from obtaining a PharmD plus building up a retirement portfolio. I know a decade ago I was considering the MD/DO route, but I soon figured that doing so hindered my other hobbies and that the trade in for time vs financial bliss vs hobbies did not add up.

Then again, I've been an outlier on many things. I'm perhaps the few that once the pharmD is obtained, I'm looking closer at playing out being F.I.R.E. and dedicate my planful free time toward my hobbies with the family.

Reactions: 2 users
Good advice about moving, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a federal job. Feds don't want new grads. No one wants new grads. Many of the postings on there are already accounted for too, and it takes quite a while to get onboarded as a fed.

Seriously. I’ve had a couple of listings I applied to as “referred” status for half a year now. They’ll prob get back to me in 2 years

I hear this statement all the time. Is it merely the prestige or are you implying financial gain as well?

Because, financially speaking, there is no gain. The breaking point may be in your later years of life just before retirement if your putting into consideration current debt from obtaining a PharmD plus building up a retirement portfolio. I know a decade ago I was considering the MD/DO route, but I soon figured that doing so hindered my other hobbies and that the trade in for time vs financial bliss vs hobbies did not add up.

Then again, I've been an outlier on many things. I'm perhaps the few that once the pharmD is obtained, I'm looking closer at playing out being F.I.R.E. and dedicate my planful free time toward my hobbies with the family.
What I'm doing as well

You're right, the onboard process takes a few months. Some positions are accounted for, but not all of them. Never know unless you try I guess. Another route would be to get hired as a contractor. We always bring in 3-4 contractors every summer and one of them eventually gets hired on as a GS. It's not a guarantee, but its basically a 1 year audition. Also, there's a better chance of getting hired in less desirable locations.

you could try to become a perfusionist. Not many people know about it and there is great demand for it. I think its about 2 years for schooling after receiving a bachelors

you could try to become a perfusionist. Not many people know about it and there is great demand for it. I think its about 2 years for schooling after receiving a bachelors

Interesting, I never knew about this. A quick Google search shows it takes 4 years though.

Petroleum engineering is the to go. Would you tell your kids to be a petroleum engineer? Extract oil. Venezuela has all their petroleum engineer leave due to low pay. USA pays high. Energy always in demand

Interesting, I never knew about this. A quick Google search shows it takes 4 years though.
Oh my bad. Someone who went through schooling told me he only did it for 2 years. I am most likely remembering incorrectly.

this is a good field, I don't see it being "outsourced" but it is very difficult to get into to - I had a ICU RN friend who had a BSN, smart guy, incredibly intelligent, leader, etc - and he didn't get into the program - I know it is an N of 1 - but he strikes me as the type of guy that probably could get into med school

I had no idea there was such a thing as a "perfusionist" either. Sounds like a secret profession you just spilled the beans on!

I had no idea there was such a thing as a "perfusionist" either. Sounds like a secret profession you just spilled the beans on!
oh crap, this was a mistake! Close and delete this thread now!

Oh my bad. Someone who went through schooling told me he only did it for 2 years. I am most likely remembering incorrectly.

You're remembering correctly. It's only two years of graduate studies.

PA school and dont look back. You will always be in demand (it seems you want job security).

If you're passionate then pursue an MD. Dont listen to random peeps on here and reddit eating ramen and driving a civic to FIRE in their 50s. That's no way to live life. Chances are, if you're not a businessman or entrepreneur or some savvy tech guy who banked thru his company's IPO, you're not going to be wealthy and your level of living will be at or same as most people on here. I dont care how much you save working a 120k job, you're not going to be truly independent of financial concerns.

Last edited:
How much money do you guys have that you can even consider this? They should just create a 30 year PA/pharmd/rn/MD/DO/DMD/dpm program for people that can't make up their minds and have time for infinite schooling.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
How much money do you guys have that you can even consider this? They should just create a 30 year PA/pharmd/rn/MD/DO/DMD/dpm program for people that can't make up their minds and have time for infinite schooling.
You won't even remember the industry. Overeducated. Industry changes every two years.

Petroleum engineering is the to go. Would you tell your kids to be a petroleum engineer? Extract oil. Venezuela has all their petroleum engineer leave due to low pay. USA pays high. Energy always in demand

Energy will always be in demand but oil won’t. It’s a finite resource after all.

They can’t just live in any city with that job and they work a lot of hours.

Yeah I knew a guy in petroleum engineering. Made good money straight out of college but had to drive on call to rigs....on short notice to pretty far places. His big goal at the time was to transition to an office job. Now that I writing about it reminds me of some floaters I know

This should totally be mentioned more in these forums. Shift work (and now reduced hours) gives many pharmacists a decent amount of free time to dig into real estate, investing, or side businesses. Many computer scientists and engineers (the most often mentioned alternative careers) are way too busy for this.

How long have you been looking? Are you applying outside your immediate location? If you are willing to relocate, there are plenty of job openings on USAJOBS. I would relocate where there is a current opening, and then once you've got some time under your belt apply for another gov location if you want to move. I would do that, and make money before I'd ever think to take out additional loans to go to school for another year or two.

That sector is pretty saturated too. Additionally, many of the jobs want a PGY-2 these days.

It’s not necessarily financial gain. It’s job security.

It’s not necessarily financial gain. It’s job security.

Im sure it’s more than the merits of job security. An additional 4 years + residency on top of your years of study from undergrad + pharmacy is sure a lot of years and capitalized debt and school just for job security.

I can understand the ideology of respect and prestige (albeit I don’t agree with trading in ones youth and opportunity cost for it). Ones better off switching out of healthcare completely for a faster, less costly career with job security.

PA school is only 2 years, but a previous BS is pretty much required (so 6 years for someone starting out from high school.) I think the person who told you they were the same length of time, was either 1) assuming an RN diploma program, so 2 year program or 2) assuming the OP would get at least 2 years college credit for previously courses, so would only need 2 years to finish then BSN.

PA school is only 2 years, but a previous BS is pretty much required (so 6 years for someone starting out from high school.) I think the person who told you they were the same length of time, was either 1) assuming an RN diploma program, so 2 year program or 2) assuming the OP would get at least 2 years college credit for previously courses, so would only need 2 years to finish then BSN.
my real question is since the PA school can be done in 2 years and MD in 8. Don't you think the education is fake and teaches you useless things? like pharmacy has 4 years. And you use only 10 percent of what you learn. Most are gear toward pharmD or the Docrotate. We don't wanna be doctors

I have been networking with a lot of hospital, and nursing home, administrators lately. If I ever push the eject button on pharmacy I am going to go that route. So smart....

my real question is since the PA school can be done in 2 years and MD in 8. Don't you think the education is fake and teaches you useless things? like pharmacy has 4 years. And you use only 10 percent of what you learn. Most are gear toward pharmD or the Docrotate. We don't wanna be doctors
PAs don't practice at the same level as physicians. They typically handle more routine problems, while your MD would take the complicated cases.

Reactions: 2 users
Most countries md are 4 years
Sure. So twice as long as a PA plus however many years of residency and fellowship it takes depending on the specialty.

PA's get a very good education, the first 2 years is similar to MD school (in some places they are even sharing classes with MD's), and they have a lot more clinical training than NP's get. But their knowledge is less than a doctor, which is why they are required to work under a doctor.

Also, it's not 2 years PA vs 8 years MD. PA's pretty much have to have a bachelor's, and MD's pretty much have to do a 3 year residency, so it's actually 6 years vs 11 years.

Also, it's not 2 years PA vs 8 years MD. PA's pretty much have to have a bachelor's, and MD's pretty much have to do a 3 year residency, so it's actually 6 years vs 11 years.
8 years is medical school and residency. Is it really necessary for 6 years of pharmacy school vs 4? you have to ask yourself that question. Is school training you for a job or for research and making money

Sure. So twice as long as a PA plus however many years of residency and fellowship it takes depending on the specialty.
other countries are not like this. Im asking you the question is it really worth for phd when postdocs are not even needed for the industry. You over educate yourself. They just want your money

PA's get a very good education, the first 2 years is similar to MD school (in some places they are even sharing classes with MD's), and they have a lot more clinical training than NP's get. But their knowledge is less than a doctor, which is why they are required to work under a doctor.
Not similar as they are competing against each other. Not knifing other MD's and MD curves.

And once again, you cant go by the number of years. The competition every step of the way is much more difficult and the education is extremely rigorous and regulated for MD's.

Can I teach you the necessary pharmacy skills in 2 years. Are we training for job or for something else.
honestly i don't think this PA obsession on this forum is gonna last for too long.

people on this forum have been pushing and telling others to go pursuing CS, Engineering, PA, Finance or whatever, but in reality how many people can or actually have done so? I highly doubt that. Also, I think PA is very similar to pharmacy in a way that they are both restricted in the scope of practice and highly dependent on MD offices. The economy only needs that many pharmacists or PAs to service a certain amount of population.

I think pharmacy could be done in just 1 year. Just cut all the unnecessary crap and condense all therapeutics to the bare bones and it will be highly doable. I would say >85% of my pharmacy courses and material we are crammed and got tested on were absolutely useless or something that can be easily looked up by a google click.

• Love